Author Topic: Unwanted advice from a new doctor.  (Read 12604 times)

NsWife

Re: Unwanted advice from a new doctor.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 01:15:14 PM »
Is an OBGYN even qualified to determine that you need heart surgery? 

I think he urged weight loss surgery

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
Even if It was a PCP, a first visit with no knowledge is not qualified to tell someone they need WLS.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 02:13:19 PM »
Is an OBGYN even qualified to determine that you need heart surgery? 

I think he urged weight loss surgery

Ohhhh...that makes more sense - thank you! My mind went right to overweight = heart problems = you need a heart bypass, which is truly bizarre.

Even still, i think that was not appropriate. There are many ways to manage weight without jumping to surgery. I see now what PP's mean about the referral deal, and i think you might be on to something. That's not cool at all.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 02:35:10 PM »

If that's true, it's grossly unethical.

I agree with some PPs who said that the PCP was within his medical scope of practice to address the weight issue, but recommending surgery was out of line.

Does it make a difference if this was not the PCP? The OP said it was an OBGYN. (I know some do both, but she didn't say.)

I use PCP more out of habit than anything else.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »

Completely OT, but did this make anyone else laugh?

(I clicked on the link to this without really reading what thread it was, and this was the first thing I saw, completely out of context.)

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »

(I clicked on the link to this without really reading what thread it was, and this was the first thing I saw, completely out of context.)

Yup ... straight to the gutter. Glad i am not alone!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 04:19:46 PM »

Exactly. I expected the "I would like to see you lose some weight for health reasons" Speech. He never even went there. That is why I was so shocked! My PCP does talk to me about my weight, warned me of the risks and tells me to watch my BP. I have seen him for years. For an OB to just bust out with "You should have Bypass!" Right off the bat was rude and offensive to me.

Can you have your annual gyn exam with your PCP? That's what I do.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 04:25:31 PM »

I'm horribly offended at your insinuation.

Okay, I'm kidding. I laughed too, once I got it. Took me a minute, though. I guess that's what PCP does to the mind.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »

I'm horribly offended at your insinuation.

Okay, I'm kidding. I laughed too, once I got it. Took me a minute, though. I guess that's what PCP does to the mind.

Now THAT was funny! :D

I guess I could use my PCP as my OBGYN, I usually keep them seperate as that is not his forte' . If I decide to have a baby, I would want it to be with a regular OBGYN so I have a greater chance of having a Dr I know in the delivery room.

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 12:34:51 AM »
im stunned at this doctors nerve.

first off, not everyone who is overweight has health issues.
secondly, if you'd wanted diet advice you would have asked for it.

and finally,  weightloss surgery (banding/bypass) is the absolute last thing you do to lose weight.  its not the first thing.

i got banded in 2007 after trying to diet and eat healthy for years with no success and no willpower.  Surgery is drastic and needs to be thought over carefully  not just offered at a cut price and jump in deal.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:36:24 AM by petal »

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »

Except most do, or will, have health issues. I'm not even going to argue it.

Any doctor who doesn't address the weight problem of his or her patient is doing a disservice to the patient. It's a serious problem in our society, and ignoring it will not make it go away.

Other than that, I agree with your post. Surgery should be the last resort.

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 02:06:06 AM »

Except most do, or will, have health issues. I'm not even going to argue it.

Any doctor who doesn't address the weight problem of his or her patient is doing a disservice to the patient. It's a serious problem in our society, and ignoring it will not make it go away.

Other than that, I agree with your post. Surgery should be the last resort.

You may be right  but i will respectfully disagree with you.  Doctors see overweight people and immediatley talk about about weight problems/health issues   but that person didnt necessarily go there to talk about that.  ( Ive seen it written about quite a few times here)
Yet a thinner person wouldnt get the same talk from the doctor.  Doctor sees slim person  and doesnt  think theres a weight/health problem.   Doesnt know that the thin person sits in front of the computer all day eating chocolate biscuits, take away, fried food etc etc

That fat person is me, who is making an effort to walk and excercise everyday and eat decent meals.  The thin person is my brother  who can  go thru 2 packs of choccy biscuits in a day and not put weight on.

I wont moan about the fact he told me on my last visit to him that he's only put about 4kg's on since he was 17. Hes 42 now.  I put on about 50kgs on since i was 17. Have lost about 33kgs so a bit more to go.
I felt like pouring my drink over his keyboard when he told me that   ;D  (but i didnt)

Yet he has more health issues than i do.   Im the one doctors greet as  "hello, youre fat"
 >:(

I do agree with you about weight being a problem in todays society. 

LAT

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 02:16:45 AM »
Weight loss surgery is no more effective than dieting in the long run (5 years later most have regained the weight and are also dealing with side effects from the surgery).  Even if it did work, I bet this doctor is getting a referral bonus.

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 02:46:21 AM »
Weight loss surgery is no more effective than dieting in the long run (5 years later most have regained the weight and are also dealing with side effects from the surgery).  Even if it did work, I bet this doctor is getting a referral bonus.

i have to respectfully disagree again.  It really depends on the person.  Ive lost 33kg in 19 months.  Theres no way on earth i will ever ever put that weight on again.

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 02:47:12 AM »
Im sorry im disagreeing with everyone today.  I was agreeing with everyone yesterday  so i dont know  whats the matter with me.

;D