Author Topic: Unwanted advice from a new doctor.  (Read 12448 times)

ShieldMaiden

• Lady of Rohan
Re: Unwanted advice from a new doctor.
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 05:46:12 PM »
I get a twenty minute question and answer session with my doctor every time I see her

Wow, where do you live, who is your Dr, and how can I get in?! I think 5 minutes is the longest I can get any provider, of any specialty (PCP included) to sit still with me--and that's usually after making me wait 20 minutes past my appt time. And then, of course, they act like they know everything there is to know about me (they don't) within that time. My fave was my last visit w/a Dr I've been seeing for years; he asked me how my smoking problem was coming along. I said, "What smoking problem?" He said, "You know, the last time you were here, you mentioned that you smoked." I said, "I've never smoked in my life." And STILL he tried to insist that it was ME who was mistaken before finally shrugging and saying, "Well, shows what I know." Well, THAT'S comforting, Doc.

I also had a P.A. slam my file down on the countertop and stomp out of the room when she realized our appt would take 5 extra minutes due to a scheduling snafu on her office's part.

Sorry for the digression...

As for the OP - yeah, your Doc was way out of line to suggest surgery, especially since a) he doesn't even know you or your history; and b) he's an OBGYN, not a weight loss surgeon! It's one thing to express concern over your weight, and another to toss your colleague a bone, which is what it sounds like he was doing.

I live in Virginia Beach....she actually has a list of questions on the computer that she goes through plus she adds more questions based on what I tell her.  She's a PA, and I only see her once a year for my physical and annual pap.  It is comforting to have a physician that cares and will spend time finding out about you before jumping to conclusions.  If you live nearby I'll PM her info to you  ;)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 06:15:27 PM »
I'd travel that far to get a decent doctor. I used to wait hours for a ten minute appointment at my former doctor's office. You can't get an appointment longer than that unless you make special arrangements. ::)

I've said before that if I won the lottery, one of the things I would do is to go to a good private clinic in the US.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2009, 06:11:32 PM »
Petal, I sincerely hope it works for you and I wish you the best of luck.

This page has a lot of good links about weight loss surgery and commentary on the long term results (apparently, not much has been published... why would that be?)

Because the studies are still being done.  And in reading that article...anemia is a known problem after bypass.  I'm on supplements and will be for the rest of my life.  I'm on vitamins for the rest of my life.  My hair fell out for nine months after the surgery.  I have nausea sometimes so bad that I have to go home from work.  And every single one I knew about before I had the surgery.  I wouldn't change a thing.  Neither would anyone in my support group.  (Admittedly, my surgeon is VERY informative about the bad side effects that can happen, and mandates that you go through a therapy group before the operation.)

I'd argue about it being big business, but that's WAY OT.  In any event, regardless of how heavy the OP is, the doctor shouldn't have just automatically said to get bypass surgery.  None of my doctors ever did, or even suggested it when there were demonstrable effects on my joints, breathing, and fluid retention.  It was my decision. 

Bringing up what can happen due to your weight?  Not rude.  Immediately suggesting an operation?  Rude rude rude.  I'd report him.

aka

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2009, 07:07:25 PM »
It makes me sick that fat people have to deal with this kind of treatment from some some medical professionals (and I say this as a fat person myself).  I think that the fact that he would suggest weight loss surgery so nonchalantly is a huge red flag. He might just be unethical, getting kickbacks or mutual referrals from his friend. Or maybe he is prejudiced against fat people.  Or perhaps he is just incompetent.   In any case, I am glad that you do not plan to go back to him.  I would go suggest you go farther and file a complaint against him.

Gastric bypass is not some magic panacea - it is major surgery with potential for serious complications, including death.  How he could think it was appropriate to address the topic of your weight in this matter is mind boggling.  For all he knew, you could be suffering from an eating disorder or in recovery from one.  Or maybe you had an untreated medical condition that contributed to your weight, a condition that perhaps he should be investigating. 

And the fact that you were nude, covered only by a sheet, makes it even worse!  He had you as his captive audience, and he held a huge amount of power over you.

tnpenguinbaby

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2009, 11:40:08 PM »
if you are wanting to report this physician for possible kickbacks (known as a Stark violation) don't bother writing to the AMA.  They won't pay it much, if any, attention.
Call your insurance company and ask for the fraud and abuse unit.  They can do desk audits to see how many of his patients end up having surgery at the other doctor's without ever letting him know they are investigating.  If they find enough to validate the allegation, they will then pay him a visit.  You can request to remain anonymous too.

DaysOfPineAndRoses

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2009, 11:56:36 AM »
The part about the payment plan was way, way over the top.

Pandora

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2009, 11:21:12 PM »
 Grrr  >:( >:( >:(.... I am the wife of a man who had WLS. MDs like this are part of the reason people walk into the surgical center expecting that WLS will not be much more involved than obtaining a pedicure. It takes months to go through the pre-screening exams, along with the fact already mentioned by previous posters that WLS involves permanent lifestyle changes and carries risk as does any surgical procedure.

scap64

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
I wouldn't go back, either.  I wonder if that GYN gets a referral bonus from his friend.

I bet he does.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2009, 11:41:08 AM »
Funny, I just left a doctor over this same issue. I went in to be screened for sleep apnea - side effects of which include both weight gain and hypertension. The nurse practitioner I met with spent 10 of the 20 minutes of the screening appointment lecturing me on getting the lap band or gastric bypass, and then when I refused that trying to get me to sign up for the hospital's weight loss program. Yes, I know that I'm heavy and have mild hypertension. Yes, I know losing weight would help - that's why I've LOST WEIGHT. I'm still heavy, but have lost 30-40 pounds in the last two or three years. Still losing, in fact. My primary care doctor isn't overly concerned - he's watching the BP issue, and comments on my progress in weight loss when I go see him. I'm healthy otherwise.

I'd debated writing a letter to the doctor's office. I think I may, and copy my insurance company.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »

If that's true, it's grossly unethical.

I agree with some PPs who said that the PCP was within his medical scope of practice to address the weight issue, but recommending surgery was out of line.

Does it make a difference if this was not the PCP? The OP said it was an OBGYN. (I know some do both, but she didn't say.)

I use PCP more out of habit than anything else.

Cass = AWESOME.
Words mean things.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2009, 09:11:36 AM »
If the guy works for/affiliated with a hospital, I'd write a letter to the head honcho.  I might also place a call to whatever board regulates doctors in your area to see if this is ethical.