Author Topic: Yeah, sure I'll put your crap on my Visa!  (Read 8136 times)

cms1978

Yeah, sure I'll put your crap on my Visa!
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:27:30 AM »
I used silence in conjunction with the Icy Glare of Death(tm) yesterday at walmart.  I was in a pretty bad mood.  I'm checking out, and this lane didn't happen to have those little plastic sticks for separating orders.  When the cashier is done, she asks me if that's everything I have.  Since there were no sticks, I glance back at the belt to make sure all my stuff made it and the stuff from the next customer doesn't get mixed in.  I get ready to swipe my Visa, when the special snowflake behind me says "well, you can just pay for my stuff too".

Cue crickets chirping.

I'm almost sure he was "joking" but seriously?  It's an interesting assumption that I have enough money to pay for your stuff!

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Re: Yeah, sure I'll put your crap on my Visa!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:28:35 AM »
I'm sure it was a joke. But one that didn't need to be made, as it wasn't funny.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:32:37 AM »
I think she was probably joking. And so, I dont think she was necessarily a snowflake.  I just dont see this as rude or entitled - nor do I see her assuming you were *actually* going to pay.  You, of course, were there, and know the tone better, but unless she started to put stuff on the scanner or acted huffily when you didnt pay....well, I just dont see this as anything but harmless and possibly even friendly. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

MayHug

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:34:32 AM »
Wow, guess I've been rude. I've jokingly said this. I don't see where he was assuming you had enough to pay or even expected you to. In my humble opinion, the icy glare of death was overkill. Your choice to use silence if you found it offensive was enough.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:35:12 AM »
I've gotten this a couple of times, but I can tell they're joking.  I usually say something like "Maybe next time" ...

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:05:12 AM »
I agree that it was a joke, something I would probably say as well, you just weren't in the mood for it, OP. 

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:18:12 AM »
I would have laughed and said, "Sorry, not today!" And I'm sure I've made similar comments as well.

:-\ One of the discourging things I've learned on Ehell is that no matter what is said, somebody will choose to be offended by it.  8) I've stopped letting it bother me.

eta: a word
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:31:08 AM by FoxPaws »
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 10:28:50 AM »
:-\ One of the discourging things I've learned on Ehell is that no matter is said, somebody will choose to be offended by it.

I don't think most people choose to be offended. It's an emotional reaction. I'm sure most of us would choose to never be offended if we actually had that option.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
I don't think most people choose to be offended. It's an emotional reaction. I'm sure most of us would choose to never be offended if we actually had that option.
I think you can choose whether or not you're going to sweat the small stuff. And the offhand comments of strangers are small stuff.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »
I agree that it was a joke, something I would probably say as well, you just weren't in the mood for it, OP. 

POD.  I actually find the title of the post more offensive than the comment made by the other shopper...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

penelope2017

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »
I don't get the point of this post. The person was clearly joking. I doubt they meant it be offensive. Was the OP offended by something so clearly a joke?

cms1978

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 11:01:37 AM »
Okay.  So I guess I go to ehell for this one.  I just don't see why someone would approach me that way if I was clearly in a bad mood. 

penelope2017

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 11:19:09 AM »
Okay.  So I guess I go to ehell for this one.  I just don't see why someone would approach me that way if I was clearly in a bad mood. 

I just don't know how anyone would know you were clearly in a bad mood by just observing you check out your items?

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 11:28:53 AM »
My dad says this all the time.  He'll also respond with "Yes, someone to pay the bill," if asked if he needs anything else, and will say "Well, I guess it's free!" if something doesn't ring up right.  (I hate, hate, HATE, that last one after hearing it 30 times a day everyday working retail!)

He never expects someone else to pay for his stuff, to bring someone to pay his bill, or to get anything for free.  He is trying to make light of the situation, but he is not being a special snowflake, I promise.  OP, I'm sorry you weren't in the mood for it, and I do understand that the "joke" isn't particularly funny, but it's also not an SS situation.

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »
Just a joke in this case. If he had stomped his foot and followed you to your car whining 'Why won't you pay for my things?! I'm speeeshuuuuulll...' then you would have had a snowflake on your hands.
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.