Author Topic: look kids- a great blue heron!  (Read 13410 times)

Nornster

Re: look kids- a great blue heron!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 04:06:43 PM »
In my family, to fill an awkward silence, one of us inevitably says, "Well, I don't know about the rest of you bast*rds, but I'm going to the movies..."

based on my grandfather's and great-grandfather's favorite joke.

And there's always the classic, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"  We usually use that following some statement that came completely out of left field - as long as we're into non sequitors (sp?), how about another one?

And we use the "Ooh, look, cows!" as bean-dip, too, only ours didn't come from Twister, it came from Throw Mama From the Train.

libraryliz

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 12:28:07 AM »
I might have posted this before, sorry for duplicates.  We took massive car trips as children and tended to lose ourselves in books missing whatever important scenery mom thought we just had to see.  One day out of frustration she yelled, "look, n@ked ladies on elephants!"  We all glanced up to see the very tall tree she wanted us to see (or whatever it is).  Since then, that is our family's catch phrase.

Well than and "could be worse, could be raining" from Young Frankenstein.
"I have never been especially impressed by the heroics of people convinced that they are about to change the world. I am more awed by those who struggle to make one small difference after another." -Ellen Goodman

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 01:30:39 AM »
A long time ago, I was playing in a role playing game. The story had gotten exceptionaly intense, feeling were getting frayed, people were cranky. And then, at a pivital point, somone yells:

"Oooo, candy corn!"

Cue everyone dissolving into laughter. That's my go to phrase. "Ooo, candy corn." Does the trick every time.
RPGs is the origin of my husband and my beandip: Purple geese. We were playing a game with a friend of ours who was the Game Master. My now-husband (then-friend) made a terrible roll. The Game Master looked away and said "Oh look, purple geese" indicating that my husband should re-roll and pretend the first one never happened. Hilarious.

My best friend says, "So how 'bout that local sports team?" as a funny, on-purpose obvious beandip.

Mine is "How about [something about the Canucks]" because if the beandipee takes me up on it, I'm always happy to talk about the Canucks.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

AbbyW

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »
"Look, shoes on sale!"  ~Phineas & Ferb.  My 6 year old son uses it on his sister all the time.  Usually when he's trying to take something from her.  Now we all use it.

moimoi

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 09:27:14 PM »
My son is very ADHD, and we joke that it really should be ADOLS (Attention Deficite Oooo Look, Shiney), so we tend to say "Oooo look, shiney!" It usually works too  ::)
You gave me my first good laugh of the day!  I use, "Oh, look, a bunny!!" with my children.  My mother & I have used "Now, does that recipe call for butter?" for years.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 04:18:26 AM »
My son is very ADHD, and we joke that it really should be ADOLS (Attention Deficite Oooo Look, Shiney), so we tend to say "Oooo look, shiney!" It usually works too  ::)
My ADHD friend describes it as ADOLAS... Attention Defici-- Oh Look! A Squirrel.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 04:38:12 AM »
Cows [Baaaa]

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 04:49:49 AM »
Cows [Baaaa]

OK, I'll explain. We went on a 'road trip' with the kids years ago And everytime we saw a cow , someone would go - Baaaaaa, and the kids would crack up.

it kept the tedeum and the are we there yet ?? [And Tears] At Bay

Now, when we want to change the subject/ topic we go Baaaaa

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

wendelenn

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »
My ADHD friend describes it as ADOLAS... Attention Defici-- Oh Look! A Squirrel.

I bet she loved Dug in the movie UP!  (That's exactly what he does!)
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 04:49:53 AM »

I bet she loved Dug in the movie UP!  (That's exactly what he does!)
She did text me to describe the movie as "pure heaven", so I suspect you're right.  :)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Nora

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 06:17:12 AM »
To lighten the mood, since Up: Haha(mechanical voice) it's funny 'cause the squirrel gets dead.

Mine, to beandip: "Oh my, look at what the guinea pigs are doing!!"

I'm a pretty big guinea pig nut, a predilection of mine that absolutely nobody understands, at all. Basically, everyone who knows me for more than a day knows that I luuuuuurve guinea pigs, and am likely to go on about them if I'm bored and they let me. They have a tendency to keep a consistent eye one me, as I am the Queen of the Refrigerator, and so they also stare at me randomly when they can spot me talking excitedly.

So when my mom visits/my husband starts putting his foot in it/my sister takes up a horrible subject I just raise my voice a little and go "Oh my, look at what the guinea pigs are doing!!". This gets me 3 guinea pigs staring at me, my family inwardly going "dear lord, not the guinea pigs again." and trying to figure out what they did to make me excited, and a consistently successful change of subject.  ;D

I love these people, they know me very well, and they love me. More than that they are all under the impression that I am quite intelligent (go to uni, get top marks), except when it comes to the guinea pigs. None of them have caught on that I do this on purpose. I've been getting away with this since I was 5...
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 09:28:52 PM »

I was told that the definition of ADD is Attention Deficit... "Dude, look at that!"

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 09:57:26 PM »
"And there goes a chicken."

Seriously. My family used to have chickens, among other animals, which we let run loose during the day. At one point most of my family was in the basement living room discussing something that I believe was relatively serious, when one of us (can't remember who now) suddenly said "A chicken!" A chicken had run by the basement window. It doesn't sound that funny now, but at the time we all thought it was hilarious and cracked up. Now whenever we want to change the subject, or if someone else changes the subject out of the blue, someone says "There goes a chicken."

I'd swear you are my kin if it wasn't for, we've never had a basement.

I used to beandip "come to jesus" talk about my self harm by bringing out my pet chicken and exclaiming:

"Look! CHICKEN!"

I also used to delouse her (with poultry powder, i don't know that she ever got bugs, but i took no chances) and tell her "Here comes the yummy corn bread battering! Extra Crispy Lulu!"
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Corbin

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »
I might have posted this before, sorry for duplicates.  We took massive car trips as children and tended to lose ourselves in books missing whatever important scenery mom thought we just had to see.  One day out of frustration she yelled, "look, n@ked ladies on elephants!"  We all glanced up to see the very tall tree she wanted us to see (or whatever it is).  Since then, that is our family's catch phrase.

Well than and "could be worse, could be raining" from Young Frankenstein.

My mother tells the story of the car breaking down in the middle of nowhere, late at night. I was almost a year, and she was extreamly pregnant with my sister. So mom and dad are walking down this road, trying to get to the next town. I wouldnt let dad carry me, so mom was. She has blisters and a very sore back, and mentioned somthing about it. My dad pops up with "Could be worse, could be" and mom said "Finish that, and I file for divorce in the first town we get to!" I guess he didn't say anything for the rest of the walk.

The way she tells it gets me laughing til I cry every time!
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Betelnut

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 04:11:55 PM »
My sister says, "Let's talk (or think) about Santa Claus."

Very odd.
Native Texan, Marylander currently