Author Topic: look kids- a great blue heron!  (Read 13358 times)

It's good to be Queen

Re: look kids- a great blue heron!
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 12:39:13 PM »
In my family it is "Did you know if you put your hands like this (index finger to index finger, thumb to thumb) it makes a Christmas tree?" 

It started when a very young cousin was sitting at the dinner table, completely bored by the conversation and he popped out with it.  It is now a get everyone laughing and change the subject phrase.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 06:35:22 PM »

"So i killed the guy, and the cops are still looking for me today." I have no idea where that comes from other than one of my friends; but it works. I have to assume it is from a movie because when i first met that group of friends i thought they were all really clever conversationalists ... nope! They just constantly quote their favorite movies back and forth.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

JacklynHyde

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »
To lighten the mood, since Up: Haha(mechanical voice) it's funny 'cause the squirrel gets dead.

Mine, to beandip: "Oh my, look at what the guinea pigs are doing!!"

Hah, same here!  Seriously, we have two guinea pigs in the house.  If there's a lull or a need to change conversation, one of us points at the hutch and says, "PEEG!"  Even if we have company that's being cantankerous, we can divert them with round fuzzy cuteness.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »
To lighten the mood, since Up: Haha(mechanical voice) it's funny 'cause the squirrel gets dead.

Mine, to beandip: "Oh my, look at what the guinea pigs are doing!!"

Hah, same here!  Seriously, we have two guinea pigs in the house.  If there's a lull or a need to change conversation, one of us points at the hutch and says, "PEEG!"  Even if we have company that's being cantankerous, we can divert them with round fuzzy cuteness.

LOL

Guinea Pigs are the perfect ice breaker.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 10:19:11 PM »
LOL.  I'm the Switzerland family. :) I told my dad that he's famous, and he grumbled that he remembers everything very differently.

For those who missed the story, my family was sitting around the dinner table, having perfectly normal conversation.  All of a sudden, my dad slaps his hand down on the table and announced, "I'm going to Switzerland!"  It was so totally random.  It turns out something we'd mentioned had started him thinking about Switzerland, and he'd planned out the whole trip there in his mind while we were talking.  Nowadays we use that any time we want to change the subject, or point out that someone else just made a comment out of left field.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2010, 11:50:46 AM »
Whenever we are watching Jeopardy! and the answer in the form or a question is about a foreign country, I'll announce "Zimbabwe!"

Every now and then it is Zimbabwe and I'm pretty proud of myself. :-*

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
My sister says, "Let's talk (or think) about Santa Claus."

Very odd.

When someone is in a stressful situation and needs to relax I sometimes say : "OK, let's calm down and think of butterflies"
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »
"I'm looking for marbles all day long." 

It's from Mr. Roberts, one of my father's all time favorite movies.

Actually any line from Mr. Roberts would work, and trust me I know them all.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »
Whenever we are watching Jeopardy! and the answer in the form or a question is about a foreign country, I'll announce "Zimbabwe!"

Every now and then it is Zimbabwe and I'm pretty proud of myself. :-*

Ok, this is really, really strange.  My husband does the EXACT same thing.  But he uses Guam.  I don't know why, he just does. 

ShieldMaiden

• Lady of Rohan
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »
My youngest sister NutMeg has a shirt that says "They say I have ADD, but they just don't under--Oh Look!  A Chicken!"  ;D

The famous phrase in our household originated from a long carride where I was very young (think four or five) and was being mean to PeasNCues by taking away her doll and not giving it back.  My uncle looks out the window and exclaims "Look!  A Purple Pony!" and, of course, I swung around to look out the window.  Uncle snatched the doll from me and gave it back to PeasNCues.  I was very offended because I didn't get to see the purple pony.

So now anytime someone is arguing or just to change the subject someone will just shout out "Look a purple pony!" and we all start laughing  :D

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 02:56:30 PM »
My brothers, sister and I rely heavily on the following quotes from one of our favorite shows we watched growing up together:

"That dog has a puffy tail!!  Here, Puff!"

and

"Well, I'll be quirky... Albuquerque?!?!?!"

The latter particularly, because my younger brother recently was stationed there with the USAF.

Also, my sister will lodge into "Sources say....Scarlet Begonias did it!!!"  which goes back to a summer when we were all in elementary school.  I was cutting a watermelon up for us, using a ridiculously large knife, while my sis and younger brother sat across from me at the table, pretending to be news reporters.  My sis ended every bad news story by saying in her best anchorman voice "Sources say SCARLET BEGONIAS DID IT!!"  I can remember how hard we laughed at it that day, I can actually picture my sis and lil brother very clearly sitting across from me *happy sigh* (I couldn't have been more than 12 at the time, she would have been 10 or 11, my brother only 7).  It still has us rolling to this day because we all remember it so fondly... it always gets the topic changed from whatever we were talking about to reminiscing about the fun we had together as kids :-) 
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...