Author Topic: Dinner Ideas  (Read 1437 times)

Mom2Brett

Dinner Ideas
« on: April 23, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »
I need some ideas for a romantic dinner with my husband.  A little information, he's a professional chef, I am not  ;D

I am fairly good in the kitchen however and can make anythign with a recipe!  Any ideas are great and thank you all in advance! 

april

Re: Dinner Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:36:48 PM »
If you'd like to get a few different ideas, check out my food blog - http://definitelynotmartha.blogspot.com

A few recipes that you might enjoy with your hubby:

Chicken Marvasala with Pappardelle and Rosemary Gravy

Chicken stuffed with herbed dijon prosdiutto (there is also a recipe for stuffed squash in that post)

Steak with peppercorn sauce and twice-baked potatoes

Steak with mushroom sauce (very decadent!) and rosemary roasted potatoes

Fettucine Alfredo

Crab Ravioli in White Clam Sauce

Desserts....

Nigella Lawson's Chocohotopots (very easy and very good!

Feel free to peruse the blog - I also have recipes for crème brulée (very easy) and a chocolate pot de crème that is beyond delicious.  There are several tart/torte recipes as well, but they tend to make too much for two people.

Good luck!  Let me know if you would like more recipes/suggestions.  Romantic dinners are awesome!

Mom2Brett

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 12:47:34 PM »
Thanks for the great ideas!!  I'll check them out.

Arianoor

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »
A great website that I always use is www.italianfoodforever.com, the instructions are very clear and there are some very elegant but fairly user-friendly ones.

Something I learned in the restaurant business: Presentation is everything.  A simple meal can look elegant with the right touches, parsley sprinkled on the entré, a lemon or orange twist garnish, a good mix of colors on the plate, etc.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:49:22 PM »
Wow....April BF & I made your rosemary roasted potatoes tonight, they were *so* good!!! Thanks for the recipe, and I hope you don't mind, but I've bookmarked your blog - BF is especially excited because he is the more adventurous eater of the two of us...lol but I"m always willing to try.

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:35:07 PM »
I have one that I made up myself - sorry there are no actual measurements.  I served this at our wedding dinner (not reception; both were small, though so I didn't have to make very many; one "cake" per couple).  This dessert is rather rich and not for the faint of heart.

Chocolate Truffle Cake

Line bottom of small springform pan with a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper cut to fit.  Crunch up some chocolate cookies into crumbs (oreos or whatever); mix with melted butter and press into springform pan (I used a heart shaped one about 4" across) to form a crust

Heat a small amount of cream until it bubbles; pour it over an equal amount by volume of dark chocolate, chopped (chocolate chips work fine but you might want to chop them a little so they all melt)

When chocolate is melted, whisk until smooth and pour into pan until it fills 1/3 to 1/2 the remaining space; set aside to cool and harden

When ganache is cool and firm, heat another batch of cream (roughly same proportions) and add to same amount of dark chocolate.  After chocolate melts, whisk gently then set the bowl over some ice water.  Keep whisking gently until the mixture cools and thickens just a BIT.  Beat with hand mixer until the mixter is light and fluffy but not too stiff to spread.  Spread mixture in pan on top of denser chocolate; make sure not to leave air pockets on sides.  Set in cool dry place (not in the refrigerator or it'll get condensation on top)

While cake is cooling, puree some raspberries in the blender and strain out seeds.  Add a little (but only a little) sugar or splenda if they're too sour.  Mix in a little red wine and reduce this mixture gently on the stove.

When cake is completely firm, run a thin blade around the edge to loosen ganache from pan.  Take apart springform pan and slide a blade under the parchment to remove cake from pan bottom.  Peel off parchment and plate cake.  Sift on a little powdered sugar, serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream, berry wine sauce, and two forks.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »
GB, what time should I expect you tonight?  I assume that you'll be bringing me some of this delicious-sounding dessert, right?  Please?!

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 06:02:04 PM »
lol

as soon as I get over this pregnancy dizziness/achiness/nausea, I'll be over ;)

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 06:34:57 PM »
GB, what time should I expect you tonight?  I assume that you'll be bringing me some of this delicious-sounding dessert, right?  Please?!

oh no you dont, she's already booked at my house.  ;)

Of course, you can have her tomorrow night when april will be at my house to make me one of those fabulous sounding dinners!  ;D
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou