Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Tips for stir-fry?

(1/2) > >>

RuneGuardian:
Please bear in mind I'm sort of domestically retarded - I can't cook to save my life. Last night I attempted to make a very simple vegetable stir-fry, which consisted of broccoli and onion fried in Chinese stir-fry sauce (yes, that's what it was called) over rice. The sauce wasn't all that good, and I'm wondering if it would taste better if I got rid of the sauce (or added chicken or something).

Note, I'm not too big of a fan of vegetables like peppers and carrots. Has anyone ever just eaten stir-fry without seasoning? Or anyone have any suggestions for possible seasoning?

housewife2k:
When I make a stir-fry I tailor my sauce to what I am using. If I were just using some broccoli and onions, with no protiens, I would fry tham in some olive or peanut oil with a little garlic and soy, black or white pepper, and some salt to help sweat out the onions. If you are adding meats I;ve found that OL, ginger powder, pepper and soy or teriaki are a good sauce for beef-thickened with a little cornstarch after it's been cooked. Lemon goes well with chicken.  I tend not to use pre-bottled sauces, as the seasonings in them never taste right to me.
You can also just stir-fry the food plain, serve over rice, then season as you want after it's cooked.
Hope this helped!

Bethalize:

--- Quote from: RuneGuardian on April 30, 2007, 08:04:58 AM ---Please bear in mind I'm sort of domestically retarded - I can't cook to save my life. Last night I attempted to make a very simple vegetable stir-fry, which consisted of broccoli and onion fried in Chinese stir-fry sauce (yes, that's what it was called) over rice. The sauce wasn't all that good, and I'm wondering if it would taste better if I got rid of the sauce (or added chicken or something).

Note, I'm not too big of a fan of vegetables like peppers and carrots. Has anyone ever just eaten stir-fry without seasoning? Or anyone have any suggestions for possible seasoning?

--- End quote ---

Stir-frying veggies and not adding any seasoning? You might as well steam them in the microwave.

I favour the 'add and heat up' sauces that you don't need to cook. Do the stir fry contents until nearly done, then add the sauce and heat up. Blue Dragon is a brand I like.

'Chinese Stir-Fry Sauces' sounds a bit like 'Cooking Sherry'. Try getting a black bean sauce, an oyster sauce, a hoi-sin sauce, a sweet and sour sauce, a yellow bean sauce, a teriyaki sauce - anything a little bit more specific.

scooter2071:
I use teriaky sauce. You can get snow peas and broccoli all washed and bagged in the 'gourmet' section of the produce aisle. If you like beef, they have special cuts all prepared in the meats section called 'stir fry meat', chicken in chunks would do as well. I fry the meat in olive oil and sauce, then add the veggies and put the lid on to soften them up, I also throw in a can of water chestnuts. Put it over rice, add madarin organge segments sometimes or the crunchy chowmein noodles. Yum! I also dump some soy sauce on, but I like things super salty.

twinkletoes:
I will cut up the veggies I want to use and marinate them in soy sauce over night.  Dump it in your skillet or wok, and cook for about 5-10 minutes.  When the veggies get dark, they're done.  Just be careful not to overcook everything - I think overcooked veggies taste disgusting. 

If you want to cook chicken, beef, tofu, etc. - marinate it in a separate container in the sauce you'd like to use.  Cook it in a separate skillet, and when it's finished, cook it with the veggies for a few minutes.  Add some peanuts (if you're not allergic, of course), and I like to crush up some garlic cloves and add it to the soy sauce.  If you use soy sauce, keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way.  A few sprinkles should do it. 

Try experimenting with the veggies you do like - I've cut up asparagus, zucchini, snow peas, beans, sprouts, and any number of other veggies. 

Good rice can really make the difference.  If you have a Trader Joe's near you, try their jasmine rice.  Very easy to prepare, and it tastes very good.  I haven't tried their naan (I've used the one from Whole Foods), but that might be a nice change of pace from always using rice as well. 

Just try to have fun with it!  Stir-fry is a really good, nutritious meal - and it's cheap!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version