Author Topic: Relatives: Chopsticks Are Rude???????????  (Read 37126 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Relatives: Chopsticks Are Rude???????????
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »
I've tried the training chopsticks (I own some).  I haven't found them helpful. 

One thing I never understood is the concept of cutting stuff with chopsticks.  I remember watching a Food show that explained the development of chopsticks.  Chopping the food up meant it cooked faster which saved on scarce fuel.  Also, that having a knife at the dinner time was gauche.  Which is great.  But, I get annoyed when the pieces are larger than bite-sized. 

SpikeMichigan

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »

I've never been able to work them. That said, I don't go out for Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese that often.

The woman sounds pretty self centred. I HATE when people make up etiquette rules on the spot like that - I don't do it, therefore its rude.

Otterpop

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »
I think Heather's issue is that anyone with any skill she doesn't possess is threatening her "superiority."  I would just pause, mid-tidbit, raise one eyebrow and chuckle.  Then eat the rest of your meal as though she'd just told a joke.  Her comments about how you eat your food are beyond ridiculous and don't deserve the attention.  If she persists, look incredulous and say "I thought you were joking.  I am going to eat my meal as I please." (Don't justify, argue, defend or excuse yourself whether you use a fork, chopsticks, etc.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:41:55 PM by Otterpop »

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
I think Heather's issue is that anyone with any skill she doesn't possess is threatening her "superiority."  I would just pause, mid-tidbit, raise one eyebrow and chuckle.  Then eat the rest of your meal as though she'd just told a joke.  Her comments about how you eat your food are beyond ridiculous and don't deserve the attention.  If she persists, look incredulous and say "I thought you were joking.  I am going to eat my meal as I please." (Don't justify, argue, defend or excuse yourself whether you use a fork, chopsticks, etc.)

That sounds familiar.  Like people who get their knickers in a twist over my foreign pronunciation ability.

Pippen

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »
Using chopsticks does seem to make the food taste different in my opinion. It is designed to be eaten in small pieces so shoving it into you mouth with a fork would go against the general ethos of how and why the food is prepared in this way. Kind of like how wines taste different from the type of glass they are drunk from.

Golden Phoenix

• Firebird
    • Matt's Menu
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »
By heather's logic, if Person A is having steak and person B has chosen soup for their main course then either the person with the soup will be trying to eat it off a fork or the person with the steak is going to wonder how to cut it up with their spoon.