General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

Classic Tacky: We Didn't get Married Here, We Just Want The Church As A Backdrop

(1/14) > >>

Asharah:
It's the afternoon of my own wedding, and I'm arriving separately from my bride. Our church is a lovely Episcopal church that looks like a Gothic English castle from the outside, with a large, grassy courtyard and elegant grounds. As I drive in, I see a pair of black limousines parked in front and a full bridal party in the courtyard, posing for pictures. The bride has a dress with a huge veil and train, her groom in a tuxedo, the groomsmen, bridesmaids, and parents of the couple all elegantly turned out, posing for the photographer. Hmm, I think: I didn't know there was another wedding going on today.

I park and go to the courtyard to find my own photographer pacing and fuming mad, because he's ready to set up for his pictures and this party won't let him. I tell him I'll talk to the custodial staff and see what we can do to move things along. The custodial staff tell me that this other party of about 18 souls isn't getting married at our church today ... or ever. They're just using it as a free backdrop.  ::)  I've seen people posing for wedding pictures in elegant surroundings before, like a large public garden, where the wedding obviously did NOT take place. And I've seen people pose in the church where they were married. But I've never seen people pose for formal wedding pictures at a church where they were NOT getting married!

The custodians don't seem to want to break things up, but this is MY day, I have a wedding to attend to and an expensive photographer on the clock, so I walk up to the faux wedding party and pleasantly tell the photographer that they've got to move, because *the real wedding* needs to take pictures now. I am roundly ignored, so I up the ante and walk directly in front of the lens and tell the "bridal party" that we're getting married here, we need the space, and they have to move. The bride's mother smiles, takes me aside and engages me in conversation, which I see is an attempt at distraction as the bootleg photographer is quickly posing people and snapping shots. I finally lose my cool, break away from Mom, step in front of the photog, and wave my hands and tell everyone that they have to leave ... NOW! They all make off for their hired limousines. The bride's mother salutes me with one finger. Asharah's comment: Lovely woman! Nice. Later, as we're posing for our pictures, I see that they've snuck back, but they're trying to hide around a corner -- at one point stuffing the entire 18-member wedding party against a tiny section of wall where they think we can't see them. Asharah's comment: Now how good of a background was that? I'm sure they have precious memories attached to their wedding album ..
Asharah's comment: I might understand them using the church as a backdrop, although it might cause a few eyerolls when they show someone the album and they say the church they got married at was beautiful and they have to explian, well no, they didn't actually get married there. But they had no business staying when it was explained that someone was actually getting married there and had paid for it and needed them out to prepare for their own photos! Talk about entitled!
tacky0413-02

twinkletoes:
Yeah, I thought that was tacky.  In some of more picturesque churches (such as the cathedrals, basilicas, and so on) in my area, they are very very strict about photography on the grounds, and will kick you out if you're not having your wedding right there at that moment, but want to take pictures in front of it.

I have to admit, I laughed when I got to the part where everyone is stuffed against the wall.  Heh.  And it's not just four or five people, but 18!

DottyG:
There was a wedding party trying to take pictures in the Texas Capitol during Ann Richard's viewing.  I thought that was incredibly tacky; essentially, this was a sort of "funeral" for a former governor.  And, you're in there taking pictures during it?

Mopsy428:
Good for the groom not rolling over and letting the entitled bridal party continue to take pictures.

Clara Bow:

--- Quote from: Dottyg on June 17, 2009, 02:36:34 PM ---There was a wedding party trying to take pictures in the Texas Capitol during Ann Richard's viewing.  I thought that was incredibly tacky; essentially, this was a sort of "funeral" for a former governor.  And, you're in there taking pictures during it?

--- End quote ---

Entitlement...er....Life goes on, I guess?
*sigh* You have to wonder about the photographers who would allow people to do this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version