Author Topic: Cheese  (Read 7227 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: Cheese
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 03:52:03 AM »
BTW, what is five counties cheese?  It sounds really good.

Five Counties cheese is five English cheeses arranged in stripes. Usually you get Double Gloucester, Caerphilly, Cheshire, Leicester, and Cheddar, although Caerphilly might be another crumbly white cheeese like Wensleydale. I think it can be known as Saxondale.

http://www.igourmet.com/images/products/saxonshires.jpg

Bethalize

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 03:53:29 AM »
As a cheese lover, I would like to thank you for your public service vent.  The cheese cutting thing drives me nuts!  You leave cheeses the same shape, unless they are round, then it's pie shaped.  Don't eat the wax, but start with the rind so the best bit is at the end. 

I am thinking of making Baked Camembert for my parents' anniversary party, and I am thinking of cutting, then baking just to avoid the shape isssue. 

I think you might be my soul mate!

Would you need to bread the Camembert before baking if you made it into smaller pieces? Something has got to hold all that lovely runny hot cheese together.

Bethalize

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 04:05:58 AM »
Wait, you eat the rind? What's the difference between "the wax" and "the rind"?   ???  I need a book on cheeses and cheese etiquette!

Wax is - unsurprisingly here - wax (as in candles) that is painted on the finished cheese to keep it fresh. It's usually brightly coloured (red is popular on Dutch cheeses like Edam, Gouda has orange wax here) but black is currently fashionable.

The rind is the outside of the cheese that is exposed to the air. You won't find rind on your pre-packed cheddar because it's sliced off and packaged. But on more traditional cheeses the outside is exposed to the air somewhat as the cheese matures. On some cheeses like brie or Stilton it's obvious where the rind is because it's a contrasting colour.

Cheese that isn't processed isn't the same all the way through. Look at wedge of any blue cheese. The point of the wedge has more blue bits in the centre and the bits nearest the rind are often white without the yummy blue bits. To a certain extent the taste of a matured cheese varies throughout any slice - although I'm sure I can't tell with modern supermarket versions.

Cattaby

• Friendly Cat. Fully litter trained.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 05:33:33 AM »
Here here Bethalize!

I'm a great cheese lover (in fact, I held a cheese party with 22 different types of cheese for my 22nd birthday, just because!) and the cutting thing drove me NUTS! Especially when people took the point of the cheese :( That's the tastiest, most flavourful part!

Another thing I hate is when one person cuts off a HUGE slab of the cheese they like. One of my friends always takes a huge wedge of brie for himself, leaving maybe half of the original cheese there. Buddy, there might be 22 different cheeses, but you still don't get to have that much of just one! Wait until the end of the night!

chouchoutan

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 08:14:19 AM »
At a recent party I returned to the buffet table to find the brie had been stripped of it's rind completely and was sat there oozing on a plate! I exclaimed to my two friends

'what philistine did that to the brie!'

only to find that they had thought the rind wasn't supposed to be eaten and thought they were doing everyone a favour.

There was much mickytaking but all in good spirits - was a very informal gathering of good friends!

scooter2071

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 10:51:12 AM »
Ooops! I always ignore the rind on the brie and scoop out the melty stuff in the center. Now I know better...

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »
After reading your post I am quite certain I am well out of my depth on the cheese issue (though I love cheese, the eating it part, in any fashion).  I think I have the deer in the headlights look and I'm not even at your table!  Good for you for venting here instead of to your guests though. 

You 'n' me, both! ... And my crew is known for having a few wine and cheese parties a year. I wonder if there is a book or a website that has the correct way to do things, specific to cheese.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Bethalize

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »
'what philistine did that to the brie!'

only to find that they had thought the rind wasn't supposed to be eaten and thought they were doing everyone a favour.

ROFL! That is soooo funny. I am visualising a very ripe brie, making a getaway in all directions.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 12:21:19 PM »
I think you might be my soul mate!

Would you need to bread the Camembert before baking if you made it into smaller pieces? Something has got to hold all that lovely runny hot cheese together.

Yes, bread it then cook.  Then it is served on a rasberry sauce.  I am going to be using a recipe from allrecipes.com.  I haven't made it yet, but that recipe sounds like it matches what I have ordered in my favorite restaurant.  They serve it whole, with good bread.  I don't even like Rasberries, but they are perfect here.  I wanted to try it out while FH and I were recently visiting my parents, but they poo-poo'ed it.  Mom regrets ordering 'stinky cheese' for dessert once in Paris while she was PG with me.  So, now she doesn't want anything to do with French cheese. 

Speaking of cheese, was anyone else confused when the media first started talking the street drug Cheese?  I kept hearing about the "Dangers of Cheese to our Children."  I thought, "Boy, life sure is good if eating too much cheese is the biggest danger." 

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 12:39:04 PM »
HEHEH, I am in HEAVEN, a whole thread on CUTTING THE CHEESE!!!

OK, now taht I have gotten that out of my system.  I am obvioulsy Cheese Ignorant, so I shall now have to do some research on cutting cheese because i would probably have been doing it wrong.

Please understand, my cheese for parties comes in a bag labeled Sargento and is already cut into cubes...

Sigh, off to do some research.

JENDUB

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 01:01:40 PM »
Wow, I am not certain that I have been a culprit of incorrect cheese cutting, but I can only imagine that I have been. I did not know many of these things.

Thank you, I will keep this info handy!

I love this website.

Bethalize

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »
stilton spoon.  I'm a gadget freak, I just may  have to get some!

I forgot to mentino: Stilton spoons are readily availble for not a lot of money on hte Internet (unlike grape scissors!) I don't know why they feel compelled to advertise these spoons stuck in a wedge of stilton. You just wouldn't use them like that. One advert even said "Stilton spoon to serve/eat Stilton with" !!!!

Stilton spoons are for lovely runny Stilton in jars, or for if you have a whole stilton and you take the top off and dig in. Especially useful when soaking your Stilton in port.

Bethalize

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 01:18:47 PM »
Yes, bread it then cook.  Then it is served on a rasberry sauce. 

Ooh, yum! I've only ever had it with cranberry sauce.

Speaking of cheese, was anyone else confused when the media first started talking the street drug Cheese?  I kept hearing about the "Dangers of Cheese to our Children."  I thought, "Boy, life sure is good if eating too much cheese is the biggest danger." 

Now that I hadn't heard of. I'm so glad you mentioned it - image if I had snorted my cheese with the wrong nostril!

Bethalize

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 01:20:46 PM »
I love this website.

Me too! Where else would people not only indulge my rant but agree with it?

Bethalize

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 01:22:40 PM »
Here here Bethalize!

I'm a great cheese lover (in fact, I held a cheese party with 22 different types of cheese for my 22nd birthday, just because!) and the cutting thing drove me NUTS! Especially when people took the point of the cheese :( That's the tastiest, most flavourful part!

22? 22? I am very, very IMPRESSED.