Author Topic: Cheese  (Read 7592 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Cheese
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 03:05:12 PM »

I haven't read this all the way through, as my lunch break is about to be over; but it appears to have some tips for those of us who are cheese-cutting challenged:

http://www.stratsplace.com/cheese/cheese_prep.html

No, Xan, i did not ask if you want to have a cheese-cutting challenge!
 :D
i had to. couldn't help myself
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 04:02:49 PM »

No, Xan, i did not ask if you want to have a cheese-cutting challenge!
 :D
i had to. couldn't help myself

Man, and I was gonna make up a big pot of red beans and rice special for the occasion too, LOL.

I swear my humor is so infantile, this thread has had me laughing like a loon the entire time...

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2007, 04:37:54 PM »
I swear my humor is so infantile, this thread has had me laughing like a loon the entire time...

I am SO glad I'm not the only one!!!  ;D
I have a photo blog... please feel free to stop by and say hello!
http://phototreks.blogspot.com/

twinkletoes

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2007, 04:52:10 PM »
The only way this thread could have been improved is if the thread title started with "Cutting the."   >:D

ccnumber4

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 05:47:10 PM »
A little OT, but I saw an idea in a magazine about having a cheese tasting party and labeling each cheese with a little "Hi, My Name is...." nametag.  I thought that was really cute.  Especially since my crowd would be challenged enough with the identification, we would never even be able to move on to the proper way to actually EAT the cheese. 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2007, 07:57:32 PM »
Speaking of cheese, was anyone else confused when the media first started talking the street drug Cheese?  I kept hearing about the "Dangers of Cheese to our Children."  I thought, "Boy, life sure is good if eating too much cheese is the biggest danger." 

Where are you that they use the term "cheese" for a street drug?  And what street drug does it describe?

Here in Hawaii, we call methamphetimine "ice."  I didn't realize that no one else uses the term "ice" to describe meth until a casual conversation with someone visiting from the Mainland US.  There was a lovely bit of confusion until we figured out neither of us were talking about the same "ice."  Let's just say he was confused as to why we would have a problem with ice in Hawaii ...
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Pixie

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2007, 11:21:07 PM »
Since I know NOTHING about cheese, would it be rude to ask the hostess or a knowledgeable guest to show me how to slice cheese?

Honest.... I know nothing.  I don't know about wines either as I don't drink.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2007, 12:29:55 AM »
[Where are you that they use the term "cheese" for a street drug?  And what street drug does it describe?

This is what has filtered into my brain from the media.  It is a mix of heroin and tylenol.  The major fuss is that a hit is around $2, so kids can buy it with their lunch money.  I live in Texas. 

illini

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2007, 12:40:13 AM »
Here in Hawaii, we call methamphetimine "ice."  I didn't realize that no one else uses the term "ice" to describe meth until a casual conversation with someone visiting from the Mainland US.  There was a lovely bit of confusion until we figured out neither of us were talking about the same "ice."  Let's just say he was confused as to why we would have a problem with ice in Hawaii ...

I've heard it referred to as such in New Mexico as well.  Though it doesn't seem to be a common name for it.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2007, 05:43:50 AM »
Since I know NOTHING about cheese, would it be rude to ask the hostess or a knowledgeable guest to show me how to slice cheese?

Honest.... I know nothing.  I don't know about wines either as I don't drink.

A good hostess will slice the cheese a little beforehand to show you where to cut. It's not a big issue really, we're just having some fun. There are only two points you need to guide you.
  • Keep as close to the original shape of the cheese as possible
  • Take a bit of rind as well as the centre

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2007, 12:14:26 AM »
It's Cheeeeeeeeeese Grommit! Cheeeeeeese!

I swear I was thinking that....Little Man and I watched that movie today.
Now, where is that nice lump of Stinking Bishop....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Cattaby

• Friendly Cat. Fully litter trained.
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2007, 03:48:47 AM »
Here here Bethalize!

I'm a great cheese lover (in fact, I held a cheese party with 22 different types of cheese for my 22nd birthday, just because!) and the cutting thing drove me NUTS! Especially when people took the point of the cheese :( That's the tastiest, most flavourful part!

22? 22? I am very, very IMPRESSED.

Well, I did cheat a little and have 4 different types of blue cheese (my favourite!). It was fairly pricey to host (considering I'm still a student), but man, I'd been dying to have a cheese party in ages.

I went nuts and wrote up descriptions of all the cheese, a recommended order for tasting (for cheeses on one plate, not for the whole thing!), etc etc. *sighs fondly*

Do you think people would object if I found 23 different types of blue cheese for my 23rd birthday this year?  :D

Chivewarrior

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2007, 03:29:42 AM »
You can eat the rind?

And if I'm at home, with my own wedge of brie, I can then dig out the center, right?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2007, 12:59:15 PM »
I didn't realize there was an equiquettely correct way to cut cheese.
:D ;) >:D

Why yes, I AM five, why do you ask?

THANK YOU for affirming that my mind wasn't the only one to go there! :D

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2007, 04:19:54 AM »
You can eat the rind?

And if I'm at home, with my own wedge of brie, I can then dig out the center, right?

Yes, and yes!

Have a big wheel of brie and cut a slice which is really a wedge. Then you can chow down on the centre and be perfectly correct!