Author Topic: Classic Wicked Witches: Toxic MOB & Walmart  (Read 14492 times)

LEMon

Re: Classic Wicked Witches: Toxic MOB & Walmart
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
Well I work at Walmart and went to my son's wedding from work.  In my defense though, I found out about the wedding the night before and the wedding was at the courthouse.  We don't wear the smocks.  We wear khaki pants and a navy shirt.  I did wear work clothes but I changed my shoes and wore a dressier navy top than I would usually wear.  I'm sorry if anyone thinks that wasn't appropriate but I do think the situation was actually a lot different in that I had less than 12 hours notice. 
You were fine.  This MOB made the difference clear by not taking time off when she had lots of notice, not making any effort to improve her outfit by removing the smock.  With short notice, you did all you could do and were there.

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »
I'm kind of horrified that she fed them food that she had prepared when she obviously had a stomach virus.  :( Although it sounds like nobody else got sick, so I guess it turned out okay. Still...
I'm glad I'm not the only one stuck there. Not only about the food, but about not excusing herself from the party once it became clear she was actually ill. I mean, I understand she planned it and it would really suck for her not to be there, but I really don't think exposing people to your illness while you duck out to throw up every once in a while is the answer.

Yes, this. I would absolutely NOT want to eat any food prepared by someone throwing up with a stomach virus either!

Maggie

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 07:33:02 PM »
Well I work at Walmart and went to my son's wedding from work.  In my defense though, I found out about the wedding the night before and the wedding was at the courthouse.  We don't wear the smocks.  We wear khaki pants and a navy shirt.  I did wear work clothes but I changed my shoes and wore a dressier navy top than I would usually wear.  I'm sorry if anyone thinks that wasn't appropriate but I do think the situation was actually a lot different in that I had less than 12 hours notice. 
You were fine.  This MOB made the difference clear by not taking time off when she had lots of notice, not making any effort to improve her outfit by removing the smock.  With short notice, you did all you could do and were there.

Thanks!  When I was sitting here reading that I thought wow I did almost the same thing but really with no notice I did the best I could do.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 01:08:47 PM »

I think that's fine, and the situation makes it all the more reasonable. The main thing is, you didn't deliberately show up looking like you were going to be checking out the rest of the guests, when there was plenty of time to change into something more festive.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

NutMeg

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »
Thanks!  When I was sitting here reading that I thought wow I did almost the same thing but really with no notice I did the best I could do.

It's not even remotely the same thing. For one, if it was important to your son to have a formal wedding he would have done things very differently.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Iris

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
I'm kind of horrified that she fed them food that she had prepared when she obviously had a stomach virus.  :( Although it sounds like nobody else got sick, so I guess it turned out okay. Still...
I'm glad I'm not the only one stuck there. Not only about the food, but about not excusing herself from the party once it became clear she was actually ill. I mean, I understand she planned it and it would really suck for her not to be there, but I really don't think exposing people to your illness while you duck out to throw up every once in a while is the answer.

Yes, this. I would absolutely NOT want to eat any food prepared by someone throwing up with a stomach virus either!

I admit I wouldn't either, just for the squickiness factor, but...

When DD1 was a very young baby I contracted a bad stomach flu. She was still exclusively breatfed and of course you are in close contact with a baby all the time. I was fine, pretty much, between bathroom trips so could care for her but was terrified because gastro bugs can be very serious in babies. So I rang the kids health advisory line at the first sign of any symptoms and they told me that stomach bugs cannot be transmitted like a cold, i.e. airborne but have to be by direct contact and that if I wash my hands scrupulously after every trip it was not transmissable. I did (including scrubbing with a nail brush) and she didn't contract the virus at all.

So since the OP stopped food preparation at first symptoms and as long as she didn't touch anything at all with dirty hands it would probably have been ok from a healthcare perspective.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Quiltin Nana

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »
I had to chuckle about the Walmart smock.  A number of years ago, I belonged to a bowling league.  Another bowler on this same league "B" had a daughter getting married, "P".  P was an older bride (approx late 30's) and didn't want a super fancy wedding.  I think they did get married in a church but it was a very small affair with a small reception afterwards.  Anyway B was not very happy about P getting married at all and she wasn't even sure if she would even attend the wedding.  I really don't know the reasons, just that she grumbled about what did P want to even get married for at her age. 

After the wedding day, the next week we were at the bowling league, I asked B how the wedding went.  She was much happier at this point and said that she did go and she even had pictures.  I was very happy that she had gone.  As my fellow teammates and I looked at the snapshots we were all shocked to see that B wore her bowling clothes to the wedding.  Now they weren't screen printed or anything, but they were the same navy pants and navy shirt that she wore every single week to bowling.  I have seen B out at the store or about and she doesn't always wear those clothes, just usually to bowling.  We all just bit our lips, smiled and told her how happy the bride looked. 

I just can't imagine not making any type of effort to look nice for my daughter's wedding.  Even if I had to go straight from work, I would have taken some kind of dressier clothes with me to work that day and change after my shift.  Especially since this mother in this story had lots of notice of when the wedding would occur.