Author Topic: "You're going somewhere? Well let me just come on over then!"  (Read 4482 times)

look in the tunk

I should have used a "not possible" last weekend.

DH and I went home for a couple of days. We were at his parents house - his dad was at work and his mom was gone to a birthday party. DH and I were about to leave to go to a pool that closed in a couple of hours.

The phone rings. It's his grandparents. "Y'all going anywhere?," his grandpa asked.

"Yea, we're about to go to the pool," DH said.

Grandpa's response? "Oh, well we better come on down there before you go then!"  :o

We tried to head them off by going outside... we thought - oh, this way they won't come in, they'll just pull up and talk a few minutes. Nope. Didn't work. They came in and stayed nearly an hour! Not to mention the 20 minutes it took them to get there.

After that it was too late to go to the pool.

Why, oh why, didn't we use, "that won't be possible?"

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:12:46 PM by look in the tunk »

CutebutPsycho

Re: "You're going somewhere? Well let me just come on over then!"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 03:22:28 PM »
Bummer! I am the queen of missed opportunities like this though, so I won't judge you. :)

You also could have used the total silence approach - as in, the place was totally silent because you *left* like you had been planning to.

Next time!  ;D Live and learn.
I have a photo blog... please feel free to stop by and say hello!
http://phototreks.blogspot.com/

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:44:30 AM »
"Oh, sorry, we were just on our way out. We'll be back after 6:00 if you want to come by then."
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

look in the tunk

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:32:55 AM »
Yea, we thought about just leaving, but then we figured they probably wouldn't stay but a minute or two. Guess we figured wrong.

Caranfin - that response would have been perfect.

crazedartist

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:20:19 PM »
Hmm, so you were guests at their house, sounds like? And they don't usually see you? And he didn't know that a delay would result in the pool closing before you got there?

Maybe that explains the insistence on taking up your time that you had hoped to use for the pool -- not that that makes it any better. I don't mean to make excuses for him, just pondering the basis of this behavior.

rhirhi

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »
I should have used a "not possible" last weekend.

DH and I went home for a couple of days. We were at his parents house - his dad was at work and his mom was gone to a birthday party. DH and I were about to leave to go to a pool that closed in a couple of hours.

The phone rings. It's his grandparents. "Y'all going anywhere?," his grandpa asked.

"Yea, we're about to go to the pool," DH said.

Grandpa's response? "Oh, well we better come on down there before you go then!"  :o

OK! We are leaving now, be sure to have enough gas to keep cool until we come back!

We tried to head them off by going outside... we thought - oh, this way they won't come in, they'll just pull up and talk a few minutes. Nope. Didn't work. They came in and stayed nearly an hour! Not to mention the 20 minutes it took them to get there.

After that it was too late to go to the pool.

Why, oh why, didn't we use, "that won't be possible?"

Why didn't you just leave? You told them you were. Not your problem if they chose not to listen.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 02:17:43 PM »
Your GPILs put you in a tough spot for sure. But I could picture my family doing the same thing, honestly.

When you say you "went home for a few days," I am assuming you were visiting from a fairly daunting distance. I can see where the grandparents just naturally assumed you'd rather see them than go to a pool. And as crazedartist said, they might not have known that the pool was closing.

That said, caranfin's response would have worked better than "not possible," IMO. "Not possible" is something you use to stiff-arm people who are really being presumptuous. Assuming a normal family dynamic - you love these people, you want to see them, but you'd also love to go swimming - a more straightforward "How about this then?" would have been more appropriate IMO.