Author Topic: Come in to work sick  (Read 7962 times)

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
Come in to work sick
« on: June 25, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »
This is not me, but I was at the hairdressers yesterday, and my friend works there.

She has an illness, which is contagious and not very nice.  She is sick and miserable, but will be better in about three-four days with medication.  She came into work on Wednesday when she first got sick even though she felt terrible, because she thought it was the right thing to do, and not leave them in the lurch.

Yesterday, however, she was very sick and physically could not make it to work.  This is fine with her boss, her boss is not insane.  Boss was calling customers (inc me) to see if appointments could be changed, or if they were okay with another hairdresser performing the work.  I was cool with the other girl and went in a bit earlier to help out.

Other Girl tells me that in calling the customers they encountered a Very Special Person.  She refused to change the appointment, but would not let OG work on her.  Carried on like a pork chop and refused all offers.  Sick Friend must come in Friday to do her hair!  And if VSP gets sick, she will be very angry!

I told SF to tell VSP it wasn't possible, but Boss doesn't not want to lose customers in this economy, and SF is worried that VSP will go somewhere else.  So SF is coming in today to do VSP's hair, even though she is contagiously sick!  And magically will not get VSP sick.

I tried to say that VSP's business can't be worth sick days for everyone for a week, if SF gets all the staff sick too, but no backbone emerged.  :-\

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

FunkyMunky

Re: Come in to work sick
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:29:13 AM »

If I were the sick person, I would call VSP and tell her, "VSP, I have a serious contagious illness. If you insist on having your hair done by me while I am ill, I bear no responsibility for anyone else catching my illness - including you and your family. Do you still want to expose yourself to this illness?"

RosieRiveter

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 12:14:09 PM »
Carried on like a pork chop and refused all offers.  Sick Friend must come in Friday to do her hair!  And if VSP gets sick, she will be very angry!

This is my favorite part.  Is Sick Friend supposed to magically keep her germs from leaping onto VSP?  She's a hairdresser, it's not like she can do her job from behind a screen, and without touching her clients.

Also, "carried on like a pork chop" is my new favorite phrase.

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:03:10 PM »
She could carry on all she wanted.  VSP would NOT be coming in to do her hair.  If that meant she decided to go elsewhere, so be it.  If VSP was in the hospital, would she still demand that her hair appointment took precedence? 

And the boss would rather risk EVERYONE's health, for the sake of getting whatever money would be gotten from this ONE client?  That's some hairdo!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »

Eeeeeuw! I know it isn't really the point, but why would you even want someone who is sick doing your hair? That's gross!

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

bduckie

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
If I were the hairdresser, I would have VSP sign a waiver that she would not hold me responsible for her getting ill.

Than I would go in with face mask, protective gloves and antibacterial wipes  >:D. Go the whole hog, so to speak ;)
I don't know where everyone got the idea that life was meant to be fair, but they sure got a bad deal with that message. Once you know fairness is not required, is not compulsory, and in fact often has nothing to do with anything, you can get on with it.

rhirhi

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »
If I were the hairdresser, I would have VSP sign a waiver that she would not hold me responsible for her getting ill.

Than I would go in with face mask, protective gloves and antibacterial wipes  >:D. Go the whole hog, so to speak ;)

Or, you know, the whole shop calls in the next day...hehehe

look in the tunk

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:13:15 AM »
Also, "carried on like a pork chop" is my new favorite phrase.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I am totally using that from now on out.

LyraSilverose

• Never tickle a sleeping tiger.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 04:55:03 PM »
Very weird.  Very entitled.  Very Special!
Soft paws and sharp claws a tiger do make.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 06:18:52 PM »
I LOVE carried on like a pork chop!  I had to reread that a couple of times to make sure I had it, but I totally love it.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 06:21:09 PM »
Carried on like a pork chop and refused all offers.

I cannot be the only e-hellion wondering how a pork chop carries on. My experience with them has been that they're mostly stationary and fairly quiet.  ;D
Words mean things.

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »

I cannot be the only e-hellion wondering how a pork chop carries on. My experience with them has been that they're mostly stationary and fairly quiet.  ;D

LOL  I was thinking the very same thing! 

GoldenGemini

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 12:32:14 AM »

Ha! Most probably a "my weird family" thing.  This is a very common saying where I am from, but I don't know how it originated.  We are a little screwy  ;D  It generally means being a prat, and snowflakey, and so forth.  I personally have nothing against pork  ;)

Consistency

GoldenGemini

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 02:02:04 AM »
So did Very Special Person get their hair done by Sick Friend? and did anyone else get sick?

Yeah, she caved and did VSP's hair.  Don't know if VSP got sick, but Other Girl (Friend's co-worker) did.  ::) Like I said they would.........

Consistency

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 02:17:15 AM »

Very common in Australia where I grew up. My Nannas' favourite saying, when she was annoyed with us kids was "May your chooks turn into emus and kick your dunny down!" Always a great one for a laugh is Nanna.

Ha! Most probably a "my weird family" thing.  This is a very common saying where I am from, but I don't know how it originated.  We are a little screwy  ;D  It generally means being a prat, and snowflakey, and so forth.  I personally have nothing against pork  ;)
Common sense: so rare it's officially classed as a super-power.