Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Parmigiano-Reggiano-yuk!

(1/2) > >>

Bijou:
I have heard so much about this cheese and how wonderful it is I finally broke down and bought some.  It was pre-grated.  I was disappointed to find that it has a sour and kind of unpleasant flavor and the texture is a little odd, too.   I don't know if it is this particular batch of cheese, or what.  It seemed  expensive to me, and I heard that you cannot use that name unless it is made by the one family that makes it.  Anyone know if this is the flavor to expect or did I get bum cheese or what.  I really wouldn't put it in or on anything I cared about because it would contaminate the flavor.
Thanks.

Bethalize:

--- Quote from: jeaniuskc on May 01, 2007, 12:47:43 AM ---I have heard so much about this cheese and how wonderful it is I finally broke down and bought some.  It was pre-grated.  I was disappointed to find that it has a sour and kind of unpleasant flavor and the texture is a little odd, too.   I don't know if it is this particular batch of cheese, or what.  It seemed  expensive to me, and I heard that you cannot use that name unless it is made by the one family that makes it.  Anyone know if this is the flavor to expect or did I get bum cheese or what.  I really wouldn't put it in or on anything I cared about because it would contaminate the flavor.
Thanks.

--- End quote ---

'Pre-grated' is probably a clue here. How do you eat parmasan? I only eat very thin flakes in salad or sprinkled on hot Italian food. It's a very strong cheese so you might not like it. I wouldn't recommend eating slices thick enough to give it a texture.

Bijou:

--- Quote from: Bethalize on May 01, 2007, 04:30:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: jeaniuskc on May 01, 2007, 12:47:43 AM ---I have heard so much about this cheese and how wonderful it is I finally broke down and bought some.  It was pre-grated.  I was disappointed to find that it has a sour and kind of unpleasant flavor and the texture is a little odd, too.   I don't know if it is this particular batch of cheese, or what.  It seemed  expensive to me, and I heard that you cannot use that name unless it is made by the one family that makes it.  Anyone know if this is the flavor to expect or did I get bum cheese or what.  I really wouldn't put it in or on anything I cared about because it would contaminate the flavor.
Thanks.

--- End quote ---

'Pre-grated' is probably a clue here. How do you eat parmasan? I only eat very thin flakes in salad or sprinkled on hot Italian food. It's a very strong cheese so you might not like it. I wouldn't recommend eating slices thick enough to give it a texture.

--- End quote ---
I use parmesan grated, shredded or thinly sliced, as you do.  A thick slice sounds pretty bad.  But that Parmiagano Reggiano has a sour flavor and I can't figure out why.  It's supposed to be nutty in flavor.  I think I'll try getting little bulk piece and see how that is.  I love Italian food and really looked forward to trying that cheese. 

Shoo:
Jean, it sounds as if the cheese you purchased may have been spoiled.

Do you ever buy just parmesan?  I buy it in a wedge, keep it tightly wrapped in the refrigerator, and then grate it myself when I need it.  It lasts a long time that way.

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007:
I will use pre shredded Parmigan, and it is ok in a little bit..the powederd stuff..not so much.

Honestly, I found that Parmigiano-Reggiano tasted and smelled like Bitter Sour Gym Socks.

My taste buds pick up on Sodium Benzoate (bitter) more than most people, so I find a lot of foods bitter that many people do not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version