Author Topic: This has to be fake, right? The Potluck Dictator.  (Read 25443 times)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Re: This has to be fake, right? The Potluck Dictator.
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »
Oh Auntie Venom-thanks to you I have a hilarious new website to read!!!  The photos on here are good, too.I have no comment about the Potluck Dictator because, well, my goodness, it says everything already!

You can thank my younger brother for cluing me in to the site...aren't they fabulous?
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

NotCinderell

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 12:34:58 PM »
You know, I, too, am very particular about my Thanksgiving menu.  Growing up in a secular Jewish household in which we didn't celebrate any Christian OR Jewish holidays with big meals, Thanksgiving was a huge deal.  My menu is ritual in and of itself, and even though I'm religious now and DO celebrate those Jewish holidays, I still go to more trouble on Thanksgiving than for any other holiday, except maybe Passover.

Which is why I cook everything myself and don't let anyone bring anything except flowers.  Period.

Bottom line, if you want it done your way, do it yourself, and if you don't want to do it yourself, accept that it won't be done your way.

TheCrosswordPuzzler

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »
Well, I don't find the email to be any more or less believable than some of the posts I read on here, so I don't know.

It did remind me of some of the contract riders I've read on "The Smoking Gun" (also a great internet time waster) where the bands ask for very specific catering items, presented in very specific ways.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »
http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/

This is hilarious to me...read the Thanksgiving email.

Notice the demand about the pumpkin pie "Use MY silver palate recipe..." Because any recipe anyone else has is clearly inferior.

And now you all know why Chip and I spend Thanksgiving at the beach.  >:D
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 01:21:17 PM »
It did remind me of some of the contract riders I've read on "The Smoking Gun" (also a great internet time waster) where the bands ask for very specific catering items, presented in very specific ways.

<threadjack>

Van Halen is famous for having a contract that specified M&Ms would be provided, but no brown ones. They said that this was actually a test to see if anyone at the venue read the contract. Because if they missed the part about the M&Ms, they also missed several other important technical things, and the band's crew would know to double-check those.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

twinkletoes

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »
Well, I don't find the email to be any more or less believable than some of the posts I read on here, so I don't know.

At least those make sense - for many of the bands, they have complicated set-ups and if the instructions aren't followed to the letter, the set could cause injury or even kill someone (hence the "remove the brown M&Ms" urban legend - which is actually true).

But I was reading the specifications, and was like "regulation-size casserole dish?  CRIVINS!?"  If the letter-writer wanted something done a specific way, she should just do it herself.

TheCrosswordPuzzler

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 01:29:32 PM »
At least those make sense - for many of the bands, they have complicated set-ups and if the instructions aren't followed to the letter, the set could cause injury or even kill someone (hence the "remove the brown M&Ms" urban legend - which is actually true).

Oh yes, the technical specs are very important. 

I usually just read the catering requests because those can be hilarious.  I highly recommend the Iggy Pop rider and the Busta Rhymes rider requiring condoms....good stuff.

auntmeegs

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 01:31:34 PM »
Marney sounds really precious.  Like a PP, I too would go and bring the exact oposite of what I "was told" to bring.
What a lunatic. 

TaylorMade

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »
Also, what size is a "regulation" casserole?

This is what I want to know!  I mean are they going to be playing football with it or something?  Will there be referees there to measure the casserole?

high dudgeon

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 01:34:59 PM »
If Marney is willing to pay me what Van Halen's entire technical crew earns for a stadium gig, I'll be happy to make meatless stuffing, exactly 3 quarts (to the ounce) of mashed squash (both in attractive casserole dishes with lids and matching serving spoons), the Proscuitto pin wheels made exactly to specifications and a brand new pie knife from a reputable manufacturer. I could use several thousand dollars for a couple days work!

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »
:::Michelle shows up with an armload of prosciutto pinwheels and drops them directly into Marney's hands...some spill onto the floor::::

"Thank God you didn't want these on a plate.  THAT would have been overkill."

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2009, 01:57:12 PM »
And why does Michelle have to bring a pie knife, but no pies, and Amy is supposed to bring pies but not a pie knife?
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

TheCrosswordPuzzler

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »
Clearly someone else needs to start hosting the Thanksgiving meals in this family.  I'd probably just not go.

Maybe Marney DOES do contract riders  :) and she forgot that her family isn't paid to cater to silly wishes.

high dudgeon

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »
Maybe in the past Amy has been quite upset with the strictures of the Thanksgiving Contract and now they no longer trust her with sharp objects on family holidays?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 01:59:28 PM »
Nope, no way would I even consider going to a party after receiving that letter. I scarcely get the feeling the hostess will be "thankful" for what assistance she's given.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."