Author Topic: This has to be fake, right? The Potluck Dictator.  (Read 26434 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: This has to be fake, right? The Potluck Dictator.
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2009, 01:59:39 PM »
Could be fake but I've seen stranger things.

My favorite part is a request for turnips followed by the point that no one really cares for them, so don't bring a lot.  Though the snark kind of leads me to wonder if Mike's family couldn't have TG dinner without turnips, so maybe that's why she asked.

When my aunt hosted several families for any holiday dinner, we usually did bring something to help out with the prep but I don't remember it being so darn specific.  If my mom was asked to bring the ubiquitous Jell-O mold, my aunt didn't really care which kind she brought.  Or whether or not it was in the correct sized container.

Zip, L.M.B.O!

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2009, 02:01:51 PM »
And how could I forget...

1. Green beans or asparagus (not both) in a casserole with a lid and a serving spoon. If you are making the green beans, please prepare FOUR pounds, if you are making asparagus please prepare FIVE pounds. It is up to you how you wish to prepare them, no soupy sauces, no cheese (you know how Mike is), a light sprinkling of toasted nuts, or pancetta, or some EVOO would be a nice way to jazz them up.

You know how Mike is. He's kind of picky and bossy about his food.  :P
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2009, 02:04:03 PM »
I have too much time on my hands, so I just re-read that thing.

She's calling the stuff people bring "offerings." 

That's funny!

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2009, 02:05:25 PM »
Seriously, when I read this someone had to come check on me because I was laughing so hard it sounded like I was screaming.  They thought there was a mouse in my office or something.

WHO DOES THIS??

And why does Michelle have to bring a pie knife, but no pies, and Amy is supposed to bring pies but not a pie knife?

Since Amy is only newly an adult she can't be expected to have all those little trappings of adulthood yet.

What on earth is a pie knife anyway?  I've seen cheese knives, bread knives, fish knives, and pie servers, but not a specific pie knife.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
What on earth is a pie knife anyway?  I've seen cheese knives, bread knives, fish knives, and pie servers, but not a specific pie knife.

Think cake server with a serrated edge.

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
And how could I forget...

1. Green beans or asparagus (not both) in a casserole with a lid and a serving spoon. If you are making the green beans, please prepare FOUR pounds, if you are making asparagus please prepare FIVE pounds. It is up to you how you wish to prepare them, no soupy sauces, no cheese (you know how Mike is), a light sprinkling of toasted nuts, or pancetta, or some EVOO would be a nice way to jazz them up.

You know how Mike is. He's kind of picky and bossy about his food.  :P

I'm so thankful I wasn't drinking anything while I read this.  ;D

lmyrs

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 02:32:34 PM »

And why does Michelle have to bring a pie knife, but no pies, and Amy is supposed to bring pies but not a pie knife?

Since Amy is only newly an adult she can't be expected to have all those little trappings of adulthood yet.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why is the person bringing the pies not bringing the pie knife? And then I realized that if that was the thing that was bothering me most about this letter, I had spent entirely too much time here reading appalling stories.  :P

Ticia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »
We had two threads about the same subject, so I merged them. :D
Utah

twinkletoes

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2009, 02:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the merge!  :)

Did anyone else notice that the LW has a snarky comment for every single family member? 

-Mike - they are told not to bring too many turnips, as no one actually likes them.

-Bob - the "you know how Mike is" comment.

-Lisa - has to contribute as an adult now because she's married.  She's also told to just get fresh produce and dip - maybe I'm reading WAY too much into this, but did anyone else think that the LW doesn't think Lisa can really cook, so she gave her a safe assignment?

-Michelle - "please stick to the recipe" makes me wonder if Michelle had experimented and deviated from the recipe before, and the LW didn't like it.

-June - she actually got off easy from the LW, and was only admonished for the over-sized pan that she used the last time.

-Amy - "why do I even bother."  Heh.  I'm still laughing about this one.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »

I'm betting Amy doesn't have one, and the other person does.  Or Bossy Letter Writer just doesn't like the pattern on Amy's, or something.

sooverit

• :(
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2009, 03:47:20 PM »

I'm betting Amy doesn't have one, and the other person does.  Or Bossy Letter Writer just doesn't like the pattern on Amy's, or something.

maybe Amy's pie knife matched the over-sized blue serving dish...  I bet its so ugly that if you look at it your eyes would get set on fire...   :P  That would totally ruin Thanksgiving!!!!!!     ;)

Athos_000

• Cats.... The Perfect Protein?
    • kbaumanart.com
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2009, 04:07:18 PM »
I really want to know what was so wrong about the over-size blue serving dish June Davis brought last year.

Me Too! That part made me snort. Loudly. At work. ( :-[ )

Poor June... she ALMOST got it right last year. Let's try a little harder this year dear!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:14:10 PM by Athos_000 »

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2009, 04:10:07 PM »
I really want to know what was so wrong about the over-size blue serving dish June Davis brought last year.

Me Too! That part made me snort. Loudly. At work. ( :-[ )

I suspect it doesn't fit on the table or something. But it's possible it clashes with the decor  ;D

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2009, 04:20:56 PM »
A "regulation" casserole pan would be a 9x13.

I love this entry and the site

carol1412

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »
I have a "standard" 2-1/2qt casserole dish and a "standard" 3-1/2qt casserole dish. Neither is 9x13. And my 9x13 pan doesn't have a lid.

"Regulation" may mean different things to different people and can also depend on the recipe you're using.