Author Topic: This has to be fake, right? The Potluck Dictator.  (Read 25450 times)

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
Re: This has to be fake, right? The Potluck Dictator.
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2009, 04:27:08 PM »
A "regulation" casserole pan would be a 9x13.

I love this entry and the site

"regulation size casserole with lid"

But she didn't say a pan, and who serves mashed potatoes in a pan anyway? Plus I only have one casserole pan that has a lid, and I'm sure it's not pretty enough for the table.

A google search for "regulation size casserole" brings up this very letter as the first hit. I think that means the letter writer gets to set the regulations  :-\
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:57:25 PM by hyzenthlay »

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2009, 04:29:18 PM »
LOL, a lot of 9x13s come with lids.

high dudgeon

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2009, 04:41:10 PM »
A "regulation" casserole pan would be a 9x13.

For which sport? US or UK rules?

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »
Australian

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2009, 05:10:01 PM »
A standard backyard casserole dish is kidney-shaped, holds about a quart and may or may not have a hot tub or little waterfall feature attached to it.

A regulation Olympic casserole dish belonged to your mother, holds 1.5 quarts, is white with blue cornflowers and a glass top with a flattened knob for a handle and a chip in the under-lip of one corner from when you dropped it at age 7. And lane markings for casserole meets.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:23:34 PM by PackRat »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »
I would show up with the ice cream. 5 gallons of vanilla, all "store brand". No Haagen-Dasz for you, Mrs. Pot-Luck Dictator!

Pandora

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »
I would be making other plans...Denny's is open on Thanksgiving, right? :P

Hometown Buffet is, and they do a pretty good job.

crankycat

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »
A regulation Olympic casserole dish belonged to your mother, holds 1.5 quarts, is white with blue cornflowers and a glass top with a flattened knob for a handle and a chip in the under-lip of one corner from when you dropped it at age 7. And lane markings for casserole meets.

Whew.  Glad to know that I have the regulation Olympic casserole dish! *Wonders if I get to bring green beans or mashed potatoes next holiday.*

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2009, 06:00:49 PM »

Ow ow ow ow ow - soda out the nose.

Lane markings  :D

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2009, 06:07:14 PM »
Confession time:If I allowed all the bad parts of my personality to have free reign, and I'd had a bottle or two of wine, I could see sending out a similar email:"Sarah, I need you to bring 2 pounds of mashed potatoes, not 1 pound, not 3 pounds. 2 pounds, no more, no less.  And I said no lumps, last year I found a lump.  That is unacceptable."  Thankfully I keep the bossy, control-freak part of me tightly wrapped and stuffed in a drawer in the kitchen.  Too much sharing?  ;)

Florida

TylerBelle

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2009, 06:08:19 PM »
This is a hoot :D. I could imagine it being real. Some folks want things just so and expect others to follow their directions. But I'm not saying anything we don't already know, heh.

I like how one group, with the woman who's now married and at the adult-level, is only demanded to bring an hors d'oeuvre, such as a veggie tray with dip. And not a large one at that. What size then? Okay, two celery sticks, three baby carrots, a small broccoli floret and one of those little rectangle-shaped packets of ranch. Got it. Though the very next family somehow got saddled with bringing a dish each of stuffing (minus the meat), quarts of mashed squash, and a proscuitto pinwheel, and oh yeah a pie knife.

If I were so lucky to be included in this gathering's Thanksgiving, and decided to attend I don't think I could follow this person's demands to the letter. I would have to make some sort of change and bring simply what I wished to. And have it wrapped entirely in foil.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Caroline74

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »
I would watch a reality show episode on this lady's thanksgiving dinner.

wendelenn

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
Heh we might have to combine posts.  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=60190.msg1428919;topicseen#new

Be sure to use a soup spoon, not a serving spoon, to combine the posts, and when combined, place them in a regular size casserole with a lid.  About 2 pounds of each post should suffice.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
I think it's a joke. At least I hope it's a joke. Because if it's not someone is being an overly-demanding Female Dog. I mean who does that? She's not asking, she's demanding! Way to win friends and influence people. ::)

Ed.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:32:54 PM by Master_Edward »

twinkletoes

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »
Confession time:If I allowed all the bad parts of my personality to have free reign, and I'd had a bottle or two of wine, I could see sending out a similar email:"Sarah, I need you to bring 2 pounds of mashed potatoes, not 1 pound, not 3 pounds. 2 pounds, no more, no less.  And I said no lumps, last year I found a lump.  That is unacceptable."  Thankfully I keep the bossy, control-freak part of me tightly wrapped and stuffed in a drawer in the kitchen.  Too much sharing?  ;)

Your email would be that coherent? Mine would be like "SARAH!  I need you to bring what time are you coming?"  Etc., etc.