Author Topic: This has to be fake, right? The Potluck Dictator.  (Read 25444 times)

Hopefull

Re: This has to be fake, right? The Potluck Dictator.
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2009, 06:25:03 PM »
15 pound of potatoes?? I mean how many people are they having??? And I would liek to see the casserole dish that holds 15 pounds of mashed potatoes.
I felt this thrill going up my leg!

hope

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2009, 06:33:35 PM »
15 pound of potatoes?? I mean how many people are they having??? And I would liek to see the casserole dish that holds 15 pounds of mashed potatoes.

And who is going to weigh it to make sure it is not 14 1/2?  :D

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »
Perhaps Nichol can "gaurd" the door to ensure that everyone who doesn't bring exactly what they've been commanded to bring will be excluded.

wazzer

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »
"You know how Mike is"

Yeah, Mike with all his whining and sniveling about "lactose intolerance".   What a baby!

I second the suggestion that this family should be on a reality show.   

Thanksgiving-zillas?   Okay, someone clever come up with a better name for the show.   No lid, no lunch?  I'm not good at this, help me!

Bluenomi

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2009, 07:45:56 PM »
Heh we might have to combine posts.  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=60190.msg1428919;topicseen#new

Be sure to use a soup spoon, not a serving spoon, to combine the posts, and when combined, place them in a regular size casserole with a lid.  About 2 pounds of each post should suffice.

But no cheese. You know how some of us are  ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2009, 07:47:49 PM »
A standard backyard casserole dish is kidney-shaped, holds about a quart and may or may not have a hot tub or little waterfall feature attached to it.

A regulation Olympic casserole dish belonged to your mother, holds 1.5 quarts, is white with blue cornflowers and a glass top with a flattened knob for a handle and a chip in the under-lip of one corner from when you dropped it at age 7. And lane markings for casserole meets.

(applauds wildly!)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

wendelenn

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »

Maybe she's related to the poster's relative who wanted her to bring 50 pounds of meat to a potluck?
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »
Oh, wow.  Wow wow wow.  The one that cracked me up?  "as a married woman you are now required to contribute at the adult level". 

And yet, as an adult, all she has to contribute is a veggie platter. And not even a very big one. That's pretty skimpy compared to the other expected contributions (15 lb of mashed potatoes?)

Yes, Caranfin, I saw that too.  15 pounds of mashed potatoes?  My SIL runs a Thanksgiving Dinner for 22 people and she never uses more than 8 pounds of potatoes.  I know that's true because I have done the mashing.  There's so much else to eat that potatoes aren't a big thing when our clan gathers.  When our family gathers at Thanksgiving, the stuffing is made in the household where the turkey is cooked.  It is not imported with the caveat of  "No Meat"!  Really, who adds meat to stuffing?

I'm of two minds about that letter.  I had one cousin who would send out that sort of message and absolutely mean every word in it.  I also had a cousin who would send out something like that and say it was just a goof.  

Everybody in our family gathered for Thanksgiving.  We ate, we payed and enjoyed each others company.  We had great fun and went home happy.  Can you ask for anything better?    

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2009, 08:58:12 PM »
Oh, wow.  Wow wow wow.  The one that cracked me up?  "as a married woman you are now required to contribute at the adult level". 

And yet, as an adult, all she has to contribute is a veggie platter. And not even a very big one. That's pretty skimpy compared to the other expected contributions (15 lb of mashed potatoes?)

Yes, Caranfin, I saw that too.  15 pounds of mashed potatoes?  My SIL runs a Thanksgiving Dinner for 22 people and she never uses more than 8 pounds of potatoes.  I know that's true because I have done the mashing.  There's so much else to eat that potatoes aren't a big thing when our clan gathers.  When our family gathers at Thanksgiving, the stuffing is made in the household where the turkey is cooked.  It is not imported with the caveat of  "No Meat"!  Really, who adds meat to stuffing?

Meat (pork sausage) is pretty much the base of the stuffing in my parents' house.  DH doesn't like it much so someday I may have to find a new recipe but for now it's pretty much my Thanksgiving dinner (I don't like turkey much).

I can't even imagine sending a letter like that.  In my parents' house someone else usually brings dessert.  In my in-laws house I sometimes bring dessert or DH and I may stop for something that was forgotten, but to set out a list like that would be insanity.  I also want to know how many people they are going to feed with 15lbs of potatoes!

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2009, 09:01:03 PM »
 When our family gathers at Thanksgiving, the stuffing is made in the household where the turkey is cooked.  It is not imported with the caveat of  "No Meat"!  Really, who adds meat to stuffing?

My MIL, who tries so hard to understand (and remember) my vegetarianism, made vegetarian stuffing last year on Thanksgiving... and cooked it in the turkey. :D
Utah

Amava

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2009, 09:08:22 PM »
 When our family gathers at Thanksgiving, the stuffing is made in the household where the turkey is cooked.  It is not imported with the caveat of  "No Meat"!  Really, who adds meat to stuffing?

My MIL, who tries so hard to understand (and remember) my vegetarianism, made vegetarian stuffing last year on Thanksgiving... and cooked it in the turkey. :D

HAHAHAHA bless her!! <3 And she was trying so hard...  :)

This thread is great!

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2009, 09:49:49 PM »

Oh bless her heart.

I'm still betting on this being a real letter.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »
Really, who adds meat to stuffing?

My mom's stuffing always had the giblets and pork sausage added to it. Mmmmmmmm sooooo good.  My cousin makes a stuffing with oysters in it. And many people use a meat broth when they are mixing the stuff.

My mom makes a separate dish of stuffing for my mostly vegetarian spouse.

Our potatoes however, have always been meat and meat broth free  ;D

Mopsy428

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
That site is a riot! LOL!

I wouldn't be surprised if the letter was real. Most of my father's side of the family is estranged from a certain nephew and his wife. (LONG story!) The wife morphed into some type of demon after she had her first kid. Anyway, apparently, she assigned people foods to bring for Thanksgiving because she and my cousin couldn't afford to host Thanksgiving dinner. The kicker? The people they invited were my uncle (cousin's father) and aunt (cousin's stepmom) who came in from 3,000 miles away and were staying at my grandmother's house; they invited my 83 year old grandmother, who had bypass surgery 10 months before, and my 98 year old aunt, who was going blind and had bad arthritis. (Yes, they ALL were assigned dishes to bring, like mashed potatoes, pies, casseroles, etc., etc.) THEN they asked my cousin's mother to come over two days before Thanksgiving with the turkey!  :o

Fortunately, this was far enough in advance where my uncle, aunt, and cousin's mother all decided to take everyone out to dinner at a restaurant for Thanksgiving.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2009, 01:02:29 AM »
Heh we might have to combine posts.  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=60190.msg1428919;topicseen#new

Be sure to use a soup spoon, not a serving spoon, to combine the posts, and when combined, place them in a regular size casserole with a lid.  About 2 pounds of each post should suffice.

About 2 pounds? That's awfully vague. You can't give people free reign like that. It will result in anarchy. Also, is that a round or rectangular casserole?
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.