Author Topic: Dinner Conversation  (Read 3320 times)

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
Dinner Conversation
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:11:14 AM »
Not sure where to put this question...but this seemed like it might be an appropriate spot.

I'm seeing an old friend this weekend for dinner. We talk on Facebook back and forth fairly frequently but its been awhile since we've had a real conversation with each other.

My problem is over the years he's become an extreme vegan and animal right activist. I am a "food activist" but a dedicated omnivore.  We've gotten into some pretty heated debates about our beliefs, mostly because he thinks that I'm a vegan convert waiting to happen. 

I do respect his beliefs, to the point where I've gone out of my way to suggest a vegan restaurant (which I actually happen to like), but I'm afraid he may see it as more than just a polite gesture and as a sign I'm "coming around"

My question is, would it be polite for me to tell him that I don't want to discuss food politics/philosophy? Should I see if it comes up (which it probably will considering we're eating vegan) then shut him down?

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Re: Dinner Conversation
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 12:07:14 PM »
Yes, it would be polite. "Actually, I chose this restaurant because I thought you'd like it. I haven't changed my stance on food politics and I don't want to discuss it. Now, what do you think about the bean dip?"
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Shortcake

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »
Caranfin gave good advice. That response would be perfect. Hopefully he will let it go after that.
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 03:02:50 PM »
Duh, OF COURSE THIS IS A BEAN DIP CONVERSATION!!! And actually, the place has very good bean dip!  ;D

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
Duh, OF COURSE THIS IS A BEAN DIP CONVERSATION!!! And actually, the place has very good bean dip!  ;D

Won't it be fun to literally say "Can you pass the bean dip?"  ;D
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.