Author Topic: Nice YMCA People  (Read 1889 times)

freakyfemme

Nice YMCA People
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:11:33 PM »
As you all know, I'm home from school for the Christmas break, for three weeks.  When I'm home on school holidays, and therefore away from the Bishop's gym where I normally work out, I exercise at the local YMCA (which I've gone to since I was really little), often with my parents, who go at the same time.  Anyway, since a YMCA membership is something I can't really afford (story of my life), my mom pays for it.  This is often impractical for her, because the smallest membership you can get is for one month, so if I'm only home for three weeks at Christmas time, the extra week goes to waste.  Day passes are available, but it's five dollars per day, and that's the STUDENT rate (last I checked, for regular "adults," it's nine).  So anyway....when my mom and I went to the Y on Saturday morning to work out, the people there just gave me two weeks for free, because there just happened to be a promotion in the local newspaper, and they were "sure my mom had seen it."  Normally, in order to be eligible for the promotion, one would have to clip the coupon out of the newspaper and bring it in, but they just gave it to us, with no hassle.....so, my mom will have to get me day passes for the Y for the final week, but that's much less than a month's membership would be, especially since more than 25% of that membership would have gone to waste. 

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
Re: Nice YMCA People
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:37:41 PM »
Face it..they want you around to dress up the joint.

Membership will skyrocket. 8)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Nice YMCA People
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 06:09:04 AM »
In the summer and at Christmas Loren's daycare closes for a week. (They give their employees the time as a paid vacation). I usually keep Loren during the day on these days. My Y let me buy a Day Pass and use it for the week this summer - "because she is just a toddler".

Their day camp for lower elementary was scheduled to use the splash area the same time that Loren and I tended to be there. The area was still open to the other members. The camp councilors were, so nice. I felt bad because they kept directing their kids away from areas Loren was playing. After she ran into one of the kids, when boom, jumped up, did the toddler hug thing and said sorry, they relaxed. (Loren is a rough and tumble type kid) At the end of the summer I wrote a long letter to the Director detailing the excellent job I observed the councilors and lifeguards performing over the summer. I know some teachers, who could have learned some classroom management techniques from those councilors. It is so easy to become distracted on playground duty.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future