Author Topic: Braggarts and name droppers  (Read 5202 times)

SheryllJane

Braggarts and name droppers
« on: September 20, 2009, 01:24:28 AM »
Hello, what is the standard response to a name dropper, such as "My best friend, SO and SO (a big wig) called me yesterday to ask me to lunch."  when these kinds of comments are routine at any meeting with this person.

Also this person is a braggart and when he/she brags, what is the response? 

Usually name dropping and bragging occur in the same conversation. 

How about "that's nice.  How bout them (sports team)"

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Braggarts and name droppers
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:35:58 AM »
I definitely think bean dipping is definitely the appropriate response in these situations.  It sends the message:   I am not interested in pursuing that line of conversation.     

Any response that acknowledges what they've said merely encourages them, unfortunately, and they'll continue to add to their self-congratulary stories.    I often hear people responding by politely encouraging them ("that must have been so interesting!" etc), which is fine if they're happy to continue the conversation along those lines.  The other reaction I see is people mocking them by pretending to encourage them - usually using a hearty dose of sarcasm!  Which is rude, although often amusing.   

So I agree, change the subject! 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

magician5

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 07:22:25 AM »
How about "that's nice.  How bout them (sports team)"

Okay, so call me rude ... "I'm appropriately impressed. No, really, I am, I'm simply overwhelmed with admiration."
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

O'Dell

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:50:31 AM »
"that's nice.  How bout them (sports team)"

That's what I do. And like the PPs have said...avoid anything that can be taken as encouragement!
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Kaypeep

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:03:15 AM »
Definitely bean dip.

"My best friend So-and-so Called me for lunch today!"
"Nice!  I love lunch! Have you been to the new italian place on Main street yet!  They have awesome minestrone!  Better than my grandma's but don't tell her!  LOL"

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »
Definitely bean dip.

"My best friend So-and-so Called me for lunch today!"
"Nice!  I love lunch! Have you been to the new italian place on Main street yet!  They have awesome minestrone!  Better than my grandma's but don't tell her!  LOL"

This is exactly the response you should give.  It lets the braggart know you are interested but non-plussed.  It should end that line of conversation.  Otherwise he'll try so hard to come up with things that will impress you that he will tire himself out.

Rosgrana

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:20:10 PM »
I would treat to a "dropped name" exactly as I would any other name. "My friend the Dalai Lama has a new bicycle..." gets the same response as "My friend Keith from the factory..." etc.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:18:42 AM »
Very low affect response.  "That's nice for you."  Just as if he had said "The sky is blue."  He drops the name so that he can impress you.  Show that you aren't impressed.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Jocelyn

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »
The other posters are right- treat it as you'd treat any other name. If necessary, put on a soothing voice, like a preschool teacher: 'It's nice to have friends to go to lunch with, isn't it?' Focus on the part of the brag that's not the speakers focus (he's focusing on WHO he's going to lunch with, you focus on WHAT they're doing.)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 07:21:22 PM »
"My friend the Dalai Lama has a new bicycle..."

My goal for the weekend is to work that into a conversation and say it in a completely casual tone of voice.