News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 12:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: From Ehell Blog Any Excuse To Get Away  (Read 9670 times)

Visiting Crazy Town

From Ehell Blog Any Excuse To Get Away
« on: July 17, 2009, 11:16:58 AM »
Any Excuse To Get Away

When I was a junior in college, I transferred to a different campus where I didn’t know anyone. I met a girl at the campus book store and we immediately hit it off. We were really close for years and then she moved out of state for a great job. We stayed in touch and then one day she said she would really like to come for a weekend visit. I asked her what kinds of things she would like to do on the visit and we thought up some activities. One of them was walking around Chicago in the neighbourhood where I live and going to some shops we would both like. You know where this is going.

So my college friend of many years arrived Friday night VERY late. Apparently she had misjudged the time it would take to get there. The next morning we get ready to go bum around Chicago. She wears flipflops. Like the kind you get from the dollar store. I parked the car in a parking garage and we started off. Not long after that she was complaining about her feet. Well, the car was parked in the garage. We could have walked back and gone home, but she was like no, lets keep going. " if flip slops were such a big deal why did you recommend different shoes"

It started to sprinkle, and I had an umbrella with me, so I opened it for both of us to walk under. Well, I bonked her in the head a few times with the edge of the umbrella, BY ACCIDENT, PEOPLE," IF it was an accident then why are you yelling about it  and she was like a hissing cat. Like royally pissed off at me. Her feet were all muddy and they hurt from the flipflops, and she wouldn’t even talk to me. Straight up refused to talk to me. So we went home and she went “to bed” until morning, when she was packed and ready to LEAVE before 9 am. I asked her if she wanted gas money to go back home and she just said no and took off. She NEVER SPOKE TO ME AGAIN. I’m not even making this up. My college friend of many years cut all ties with me over this!! Since I told her before she came all the way from out of state that we would be strolling around the city, why did she bring flipflops???? I mean seriously? Who does that? I am still flabbergasted to this day. This was over 2 years ago!  08-21-08

Why do I feel like there is more to this story then is being told?

Shay Comments

I think the Ehell Dame is correct that there is more to this story.  I can't picture someone driving  that that way and then just stop speaking to some one over it raining  while they wer out shopping .  I wouls love th here the friends side of the story

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: From Ehell Blog Any Excuse To Get Away
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »
I agree -- there has to be *something* more.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »
Who offers a guest gas money for them to get home?  Shouldn't the guest be prepared for his/her own transportation expenses?  

I don't think she needed to recommend different shoes before going out, she's not the girl's mom & she did offer to go back to allow her to switch them out so it's on the girl for not taking her up on that offer.

And I don't get the comment about the yelling - she was reiterating her point, what's the big deal?  If I had a friend mad because I accidentally bonked her with the umbrella then I'd be a bit ticked off about her reaction too, I don't see why she's getting beaten up over using caps...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Amava

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »
A LOT more, if you ask me. The friend probably broke up the friendship because of the attitude of the storyteller. If her attitude towards the friend was anything like it was in the way she told the story, then I can imagine it!

You know where this is going.
Er. No. At that point of the story, I couldn't see where this was going, at all.

Yeah, why didn't the storyteller recommend the friend to wear better shoes, if she knew it was going to go wrong in those flip-flops?

Bibliophile

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
Yeah, why didn't the storyteller recommend the friend to wear better shoes, if she knew it was going to go wrong in those flip-flops?

I would think a college educated woman would be smart enough to know what to wear in order to be comfortable walking...  Just sayin'...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 11:37:19 AM »
Some people are clueless about stuff like that.  I don't see why the Storyteller couldn't have said, "Are you sure about those shoes?  We're going to be walking a lot..."

No one was asking her to tied the girls shoes for her.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:39:41 AM by Two Ravens »

Amava

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 11:38:53 AM »

I would think a college educated woman would be smart enough to know what to wear in order to be comfortable walking...  Just sayin'...

You're right, she really should. I probably would have spontaneously blurted out something like: "You gonna walk all the way in those? I couldn't do that." or something, though.

Anyway, flip-flops or no, that story so doesn't make sense to me. At all. There must have been things said and done that aren't in the story, otherwise I really don't get why the friendship was broken off.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 12:43:16 PM »

And I don't get the comment about the yelling - she was reiterating her point, what's the big deal?  If I had a friend mad because I accidentally bonked her with the umbrella then I'd be a bit ticked off about her reaction too, I don't see why she's getting beaten up over using caps...

The problem that  i had with that portion was that  she could have said that I accidentally it her in the head with the umbrella  but way sh said "BY ACCIDENT, PEOPLE" just rubbed me the wrong was it is something that you say when people accuse you of something but no one accused her of anything so the word were unnecessary

Shay

Bibliophile

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 12:53:31 PM »

The problem that  i had with that portion was that  she could have said that I accidentally it her in the head with the umbrella  but way sh said "BY ACCIDENT, PEOPLE" just rubbed me the wrong was it is something that you say when people accuse you of something but no one accused her of anything so the word were unnecessary

Shay

Well, her friend overreacted to the accidental bonking and she was venting her frustration.  It's completely understandable to me.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 01:04:06 PM »
 It  also does say whether or not she apologized

Shay

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 01:30:58 PM »

Shay

Well, her friend overreacted to the accidental bonking and she was venting her frustration.  It's completely understandable to me.

I don't think its the caps, its the "PEOPLE" on the end, as if she was expecting anyone who read it to be accusing her as well.  It just comes accross as very defensive. "BY ACCIDENT" by itself would not have raised any hackles.

Bibliophile

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 01:50:54 PM »

Shay

I don't think its the caps, its the "PEOPLE" on the end, as if she was expecting anyone who read it to be accusing her as well.  It just comes accross as very defensive. "BY ACCIDENT" by itself would not have raised any hackles.

I guess I look at it as more as a common phrase.  Like "Are you with me here, people!" or "You people understand it was an accident!"

twinkletoes

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »
I thought the "BY ACCIDENT, PEOPLE" made me IMMEDIATELY suspicious.  Imagine if she had written this:  "Unfortunately, I accidentally hit her in the head a few times with the umbrella."  (Although, the fact that it happened more than once is weird - wouldn't you be more careful after the first time?)

I totally agree that there's a whole 'nother story that we're not getting.  When I read a story like this, I always make up a back-story.  In this one, I think the LW "accidentally" omitted the fact that she called her former friend a few colorful words.

JoieGirl7

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 02:36:31 PM »
My read is that the person who wrote this was a he, not a she.

twinkletoes

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »
My read is that the person who wrote this was a he, not a she.

Aaaah!  This could be an interesting plot twist - maybe the friend came to Chicago to reconnect with the LW as a romantic interest, but the LW dosen't think of her "that way," and he let her down spectacularly.