News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 05:05:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: From Ehell Blog Any Excuse To Get Away  (Read 9671 times)

Twik

Re: From Ehell Blog Any Excuse To Get Away
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »
I think the LW did something to seriously offend the friend, and has no idea what s/he did, so is ascribing it to the flipflops and the umbrella. Probably totally overlooking something like, "Well, I told her that if she lost a few pounds, her feet wouldn't hurt, and that any idiot would have brought her own umbrella. But THAT couldn't have been what set her off so irrationally!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »
I think the LW did something to seriously offend the friend, and has no idea what s/he did, so is ascribing it to the flipflops and the umbrella. Probably totally overlooking something like, "Well, I told her that if she lost a few pounds, her feet wouldn't hurt, and that any idiot would have brought her own umbrella. But THAT couldn't have been what set her off so irrationally!"

I think that's assuming quite a bit.  If that person was an eHellion here to answer questions & defend him/herself, then that's one thing, but to assume that he's a horrible person and must have done something totally outrageous, like call her fat, to make her mad.  Maybe the girl assumed he was going to pay for everything and he treated her like a "friend" in from out of town.  Maybe she was mad that he didn't spend enough on her - and he tried to make up for it by offering her gas money when he found out she was mad.  Those are just as likely assumptions...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

daniellefaye

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »
If you're hitting someone repeatedly with an umbrella - which is really freaking annoying to some people - you're probably of incompatible height to share, or the umbrella is too small, and you're likely getting person B more wet especially if it was just "sprinkling." Though muddy feet - even in flip flops, which I guess don't phase me anymore since that's all anyone wears in AZ it seems - and sprinkling don't match up quite right.  I understand why the girl was likely miserable during that experience, but the never speaking again seems off.

twinkletoes

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 04:23:37 PM »
If you're hitting someone repeatedly with an umbrella - which is really freaking annoying to some people - you're probably of incompatible height to share, or the umbrella is too small, and you're likely getting person B more wet especially if it was just "sprinkling." Though muddy feet - even in flip flops, which I guess don't phase me anymore since that's all anyone wears in AZ it seems - and sprinkling don't match up quite right.  I understand why the girl was likely miserable during that experience, but the never speaking again seems off.

Well, but if you're the wrong height to share, and can't possibly stand being a bit wet, then the onus is on you to carry your own umbrella, isn't it? Even if she hadn't brought one, most drug stores are happy to sell you a cheapie one for $5 or so.

I don't think that's what Danielle is saying.  I think she's saying that the hitting and getting wet are minor things, and taken at face-value, why would this friend stop talking to the LW if that's the ONLY thing that went wrong durnig the visit?  I mean, you don't end a friendship of many, many years just because someone accidentally hits you in the head with an umbrella.

daniellefaye

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »

Well, but if you're the wrong height to share, and can't possibly stand being a bit wet, then the onus is on you to carry your own umbrella, isn't it? Even if she hadn't brought one, most drug stores are happy to sell you a cheapie one for $5 or so.

I don't think that's what Danielle is saying.  I think she's saying that the hitting and getting wet are minor things, and taken at face-value, why would this friend stop talking to the LW if that's the ONLY thing that went wrong durnig the visit?  I mean, you don't end a friendship of many, many years just because someone accidentally hits you in the head with an umbrella.

That was one thing.  But I have also seen people try to INSIST that you share the umbrella with them even if you'd rather get wet than smacked around.  Either way, the situation seems really really off.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »
But I have also seen people try to INSIST that you share the umbrella with them even if you'd rather get wet than smacked around. 
  I'd much rather get soaked than get continually poked in the head by an umbrella.  It wouldn't ruin my weekend if my companion kept insisting on sharing the umbrella, though.

daniellefaye

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 06:04:34 PM »
But I have also seen people try to INSIST that you share the umbrella with them even if you'd rather get wet than smacked around. 
  I'd much rather get soaked than get continually poked in the head by an umbrella.  It wouldn't ruin my weekend if my companion kept insisting on sharing the umbrella, though.

That's what's really weird about it.  Though it did smack me as insensitive to downplay multiple smacks with "an accident people!"  And wonder how she could ever be annoyed. There are no mentions of apologies.  I'm thinking there is way more than that one incident, but the "you know where this is going" and other bits seem kind of dismissive in general.  I think he's blaming the wrong stuff for what went wrong. (Who goes on a trip with just flip flops? People who are usually okay walking around in flip flops.  I'm not but tons of people are.)

kennedar

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 06:53:30 PM »
I am actually really suspicious that I know this LW...this sounds exactly the same as a story I was told by 2 friends of mine. If it is the same people involved, I have heard both sides. It really is as simple as being hit in the head a few times and miscommunicated expectations. He thought they were going to be more than friends, she didn't. Not saying that it is this story for sure, but it sounds exactly the same.

missmolly

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 08:15:24 PM »
I thought the "BY ACCIDENT, PEOPLE" made me IMMEDIATELY suspicious.  Imagine if she had written this:  "Unfortunately, I accidentally hit her in the head a few times with the umbrella."  (Although, the fact that it happened more than once is weird - wouldn't you be more careful after the first time?)

That's what I thought as well. Surely after you've hit someone by accident once you would ensure that it doesn't happen again.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 08:48:42 PM »
Flip flops when walking long distances.

I wear flip flops constantly when weather permits. Whether they are my two for a buck pairs, or one of the really nice high end pairs, the fact remains that they are comfortable. (For some reason, wearing shoes that enclose my feet causes them to feel like I'm burning them. My doc is baffled by it, but told me to try to limit my time in shoes.)

And yes, I've walked very long ways in flip flops. If its a pair that's well fitted. (I try to only buy pairs that fit snuggly over the top of my foot. I walk better, plus there is NO flopflopflopflopflopflop noises.

KimberlyRose

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 11:02:53 PM »

And I don't get the comment about the yelling - she was reiterating her point, what's the big deal?  If I had a friend mad because I accidentally bonked her with the umbrella then I'd be a bit ticked off about her reaction too, I don't see why she's getting beaten up over using caps...

The problem that  i had with that portion was that  she could have said that I accidentally it her in the head with the umbrella  but way sh said "BY ACCIDENT, PEOPLE" just rubbed me the wrong was it is something that you say when people accuse you of something but no one accused her of anything so the word were unnecessary

Shay

If the "friend" was acting like it was intentional, I can see why the letter writer might have been a little irritable about it.

KimberlyRose

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 11:05:01 PM »
I thought the "BY ACCIDENT, PEOPLE" made me IMMEDIATELY suspicious.  Imagine if she had written this:  "Unfortunately, I accidentally hit her in the head a few times with the umbrella."  (Although, the fact that it happened more than once is weird - wouldn't you be more careful after the first time?)

That's what I thought as well. Surely after you've hit someone by accident once you would ensure that it doesn't happen again.

It's very windy in downtown Chicago.  The gusts of wind can easily knock an umbrella around enough to accidentally bump someone, no matter how hard you try to keep it stable.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 08:32:44 AM »

It's very windy in downtown Chicago.  The gusts of wind can easily knock an umbrella around enough to accidentally bump someone, no matter how hard you try to keep it stable.

Its sometimes like that in a town I go to frequently. I was with an old friend and he bopped me several times, on accedent I'm sure.

I finally fixed it by wrapping my arms around him and walking "snuggled" on him. We got some looks, but everytime he bopped me, cold water went down my back! I was sick of it.