Author Topic: Reading the thread?  (Read 26948 times)

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
Re: Reading the thread?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »
You're right wordgirl, I probably could have been a little clearer.  What she did was clearly a violation of forum rules, which is her own fault, but given that someone had been banned in that thread for saying almost the exact same thing, on the same page, even, it really would have been to her benefit to read everything.
I didn't mean to say you were unclear :D I just was writing my post while you were posting and wanted to clarify my own. Besides which, when have I ever passed on the chance to make a post longer than it already was? ;)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 09:44:53 PM »
You're right wordgirl, I probably could have been a little clearer.  What she did was clearly a violation of forum rules, which is her own fault, but given that someone had been banned in that thread for saying almost the exact same thing, on the same page, even, it really would have been to her benefit to read everything.
I didn't mean to say you were unclear :D I just was writing my post while you were posting and wanted to clarify my own. Besides which, when have I ever passed on the chance to make a post longer than it already was? ;)

It's no problem.  I really should have been clear that the actual problem wasn't her not reading, just that it could have been prevented had she read everything.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »
Not reading the entire thread is my single biggest pet peeve. It causes the phenomenon where people continue to offer advice or pile on criticism after the OP has posted the resolution of the situation.

I think the etiology of posting without reading is that people think their opinions are so original and important that nothing else said in the thread could possibly cause it to be repetitive, rude, or foolish-looking.

That said, I've once or twice posted something that makes it look like I haven't read the entire thread but which was actually failure to absorb something I read, then had my throat jumped down. So I just stay quiet if someone else appears to have read without posting no matter how blatant it is, such as one thread over in Entertaining...

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »
I must say that it certainly is frustrating when you've stated a fact quite clearly in your post(s) and then someone comes along and very obviously doesn't bother to read what you've said and says something that proves that fact quite clearly.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 07:12:31 PM »
I must say that it certainly is frustrating when you've stated a fact quite clearly in your post(s) and then someone comes along and very obviously doesn't bother to read what you've said and says something that proves that fact quite clearly.

The times where I legitimately missed the fact somewhere and post accordingly, I apologize to the OP or subsequent PP in the thread because I know how frustrating that is.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 07:23:27 PM »

Along with this - sometimes a poster will make a mistake/assumption about the OP (post or person) that snowballs into it being accepted as "fact."  If people read along they could see what the truth is (especially since people often attempt to correct the error)

twinkletoes

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 10:53:37 AM »
I wanted to add something that is slightly off-topic, but has to do with reading:  I have noticed that quite a few posters seem to confuse "many/few" with "all/none."  I have read many posts where Poster1 says "blahblahblah, this happens to me some of the time" and Poster2 responds with "Well, this never happened to me!"  It's very....odd.  (I don't want to give exact examples.) 

EagleEye

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 11:01:03 AM »

It's egregious when it is just one or two posts below yours.  Otherwise I do often accept that people miss details or forget previous posts if it is a long thread (I have accidentally done so myself, if I happen to catch it, I delete my post or edit it to credit the other poster).

twinkletoes

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »

It's egregious when it is just one or two posts below yours.  Otherwise I do often accept that people miss details or forget previous posts if it is a long thread (I have accidentally done so myself, if I happen to catch it, I delete my post or edit it to credit the other poster).

Sometimes, some of these threads just TAKE OFF.  There have been times when I've read the thread thus far, start composing a reply, and then I can't because every time I hit "post," I get a mesage that X number of posts have been posted in the 2 minutes since I started composing.  I'll read those new replies, hit "post" again, and be told that a few more have been posted.  Etc.  Finally, I just hit "post"!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 11:07:55 AM »
egregious

OT, but I'm finding it funny how often this word has cropped up in the EHellions' vocabularies! :D  I see so many posters using it now!  SEE!  Nicole WAS good for something - she's broadened our language skills! :D

Betelnut

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 11:47:03 AM »
It would help if the software for the Ehell forum were upgraded or changed so that it (the software) keeps track of how far a person has read on a thread (if the person is logged in).  That way, if you've read 5 pages of a thread and 5 more were added in your absence, and you clicked onto the thread, the software would automatically take you to the last post you've read.

The Television without Pity forum works this way and it makes reading an entire thread easier to do because you can read some, go away, come back and start off right where you stopped.

This upgrade would be nice and would enhance reading the threads.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

twinkletoes

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 11:50:45 AM »
It would help if the software for the Ehell forum were upgraded or changed so that it (the software) keeps track of how far a person has read on a thread (if the person is logged in).  That way, if you've read 5 pages of a thread and 5 more were added in your absence, and you clicked onto the thread, the software would automatically take you to the last post you've read.

The Television without Pity forum works this way and it makes reading an entire thread easier to do because you can read some, go away, come back and start off right where you stopped.

That's really cool!  I read so many threads every day, and I can't always remember where I left off.  Sometimes, the thread titles blend together, and it seems like "Was I rude?" is a popular title.  Also, there are threads that just explode, and there might be pages and pages added after I last read it - I don't always remember where I left off.

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »
If you click on "new" on the thread I believe it takes you to the last part you read.

Florida

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 12:06:38 PM »
It would help if the software for the Ehell forum were upgraded or changed so that it (the software) keeps track of how far a person has read on a thread (if the person is logged in).  That way, if you've read 5 pages of a thread and 5 more were added in your absence, and you clicked onto the thread, the software would automatically take you to the last post you've read.

There already is - just click on NEW.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
If you click on "new" on the thread I believe it takes you to the last part you read.

This is correct.  Clicking on "new" will take you to where you left off, assuming you read to the end of the thread the last time you viewed it.