Author Topic: Reading the thread?  (Read 26696 times)

Betelnut

Re: Reading the thread?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 12:10:18 PM »
I didn't realize this--thanks everyone!

Now if we could add the feature that shows you the beginning of the post as you mouse over it....
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Betelnut

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »
I didn't realize this--thanks everyone!

Now if we could add the feature that shows you the beginning of the post as you mouse over it....

Actually, I don't see where it says that.  I use the "Show new replies to your posts" button all the time.  Where is the "new" button that takes you to the last post you've read on a thread--even if that post was on page five on a ten page thread?

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
Go into "show new replies to your posts"  It will list your posts with new replies.  To the right of the thread it has the word "new."  Click on that.

Florida

Betelnut

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »
Oh okay. 

But what if you haven't written a post in the thread? There are forums that you don't even have to post in a thread and when you get back to the thread, it will take you to the last post you read (if you are logged in both times).  It is a very nice function!

Anyway, thanks for the information--that will help me navigate the threads I have posted in.

Veronica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »
Go to "unread posts since your last visit."  That will show you every posts that has a new update, if you've read the thread or posted in it before or not.  Then click "new" it will take to where you last left off or the beginning if you've never read the thread before.

Florida

Betelnut

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »
Where is the "new" button?  I don't see it?   :(

Veronica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 01:15:24 PM »
On my computer it is a tiny little white box next to the thread.  For example, when I looked at this thread I saw "Reading the thread?" [new].
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:25:41 PM by Veronica »

Florida

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 01:22:11 PM »

Click on "show unread posts since last visit" - that will bring you a listing of threads with new posts. In the listing, to the right of each thread title is a little box that says "new." Click on that little box, and it will take you to where you left off.

If you click the thread title itself, it will take you to the beginning of the thread.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »
Just want to point out that you can actually use the "new" button from just about anywhere.  It's there in folders, too, as long as there are new posts. 

Betelnut

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 02:05:21 PM »

Click on "show unread posts since last visit" - that will bring you a listing of threads with new posts. In the listing, to the right of each thread title is a little box that says "new." Click on that little box, and it will take you to where you left off.

If you click the thread title itself, it will take you to the beginning of the thread.

Hmmm.  Nope--I don't have this.  I have "Last post" but not "New." Weird.  I looked at my profile but couldn't see where I could change this.  Bizarre.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2009, 02:09:37 PM »
The new button takes you to the posts that have been added since you last accessed the thread.  It does not track where you left off reading, which would be a handy little tool.

If you are looking at a general forum it will show a list of thread titles.  To the right of these can be a box with the word new.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »

My color scheme is purple so it may look different.  Do you see the thread "Thing"?  It has a new button which would take me to the new posts since I last accessed the thread.  If I have never read the thread it will take me to the first post.  You will note the new button is missing from this thread as I took the screen shot directly after I made the last post.

Does that answer that question?

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2009, 01:59:10 AM »
I think that it's a good courtesy to read a thread before posting. Of course, when a thread is 40+ pages long, it becomes a bit prohibitive to read every single post. Television Without Pity forum has a rule that you must read the past 15 pages in a thread before posting. This is enforced. People have been (temporarily) gagged for failing to follow this rule.

Missing a point while skimming a thread is one thing. That's bound to happen and not really what I would consider an egregious error.

Starting off a post with the equivalent of, "I've not bothered to read anything but the original post (and none of the updates), but here is my opinion..." is really quite rude. Personally, I scroll right past those posts. It's the equivalent of saying "I'm not paying attention to anything you've said." If someone is not paying attention to relevant information, why should I read what they have to say?

Betelnut

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »
Thanks Animalia--I finally saw the New button.  (Note to self: Get eyes checked!)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2009, 02:07:52 PM »

Wow. I have been on here for how long? and i did not know that the "new" button did that. Neat!

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem