Author Topic: Reading the thread?  (Read 26690 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Reading the thread?
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2009, 02:09:19 PM »

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2009, 02:17:59 PM »
egregious

See!  There it is again! :D

I can't help it. This thread begs for its use.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2009, 12:56:20 AM »
Really, what's with the not reading the thread? People keep posting in the Cookbook threads after they're brought to the top by a cookbook staff member posting asking people not to post there. Is it that bad to at least read a couple of posts before replying?

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2009, 01:00:52 AM »
Wow. I have been on here for how long? and i did not know that the "new" button did that. Neat!

I have to know: how did you navigate this site before?

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2009, 01:34:34 AM »
Wow. I have been on here for how long? and i did not know that the "new" button did that. Neat!

I didn't know this either!  It will make my life so much easier.   :)     I use both "new replies" and "unread posts" to navigate. And from there I just try to remember which page I'm up to. And I put time aside to read through the long ones. For example, I only recently discovered the thread about unrealistic scenes in otherwise realistic movies, and so I put time aside to read the whole thread beforehand so that I'd be able to participate.  It took me a few sessions, and each time I just roughly remembered where I was up to, and kept going back until I found the last post I'd read.... wow it sounds as though I've been putting a lot of time into this... but I really haven't!   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Tiramisu

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2009, 03:46:28 AM »

I didn't know this either!  It will make my life so much easier.   :)     I use both "new replies" and "unread posts" to navigate. And from there I just try to remember which page I'm up to. And I put time aside to read through the long ones. For example, I only recently discovered the thread about unrealistic scenes in otherwise realistic movies, and so I put time aside to read the whole thread beforehand so that I'd be able to participate.  It took me a few sessions, and each time I just roughly remembered where I was up to, and kept going back until I found the last post I'd read.... wow it sounds as though I've been putting a lot of time into this... but I really haven't!   

Same here!  I was feeling like a dork when I found out about this "New" thing.  Glad to see I'm not the only one  :)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »

Same here!  I was feeling like a dork when I found out about this "New" thing.  Glad to see I'm not the only one  :)

Me, too, or is it three?  Four? 
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2009, 08:30:42 AM »
Wow! Maybe we should have a sticky topic on site navigation!

(and don't feel bad - it took me donkey's years to figure out the search functions :-[)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

lmyrs

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »
I think that it's a good courtesy to read a thread before posting. Of course, when a thread is 40+ pages long, it becomes a bit prohibitive to read every single post. Television Without Pity forum has a rule that you must read the past 15 pages in a thread before posting. This is enforced. People have been (temporarily) gagged for failing to follow this rule.

Missing a point while skimming a thread is one thing. That's bound to happen and not really what I would consider an egregious error.

Starting off a post with the equivalent of, "I've not bothered to read anything but the original post (and none of the updates), but here is my opinion..." is really quite rude. Personally, I scroll right past those posts. It's the equivalent of saying "I'm not paying attention to anything you've said." If someone is not paying attention to relevant information, why should I read what they have to say?

This is one of my favorite rules on the TWOP forums. I believe that in their rules, it says, basically, that if you can't be bothered to care what others say, why should they be bothered to care what you say? It's an extremely valid point. I have absolute understanding that people may not fully absorb everything on long threads, but if you blatantly admit that you haven't bothered to read the thread, then why should I read what you said? KWIM? You've likely missed important information that makes your post irrelevant.

twinkletoes

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »
I wanted to bump up the thread, as I think this is still very much a problem (re: not reading the entire thread).  I've noticed that it seems to be certain long-term posters who do it the most, and I think that's incredibly rude.  I can forgive a newbie, but if you've been here for months and months, this shouldn't come as news to you.

It also has the unintended effect of having the poster look ridiculous, especially if they have a great idea that five other posters have already mentioned, and the OP has refuted four pages earlier.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 11:23:17 AM »

I used the "show new replies" buttons at the top, but then i just scrolled through the thread to figure out where i had left off. No small task when a thread is over 10 or so pages long. Luckily i was pretty good at bookmarking in my head at what page i had left off. No more. The "New" button is good stuff.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

thebeckster

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 11:36:17 AM »
To me, not reading the thread is like listening to a lecture where the speaker has asked everyone to hold all questions until the end, and interupting him to ask questions. If you wait (or read) you may see someone has already posted your idea, or the situation has been updated, or the poster has clarified information from the original post.

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2010, 12:38:30 AM »
To me, not reading the thread is like listening to a lecture where the speaker has asked everyone to hold all questions until the end, and interupting him to ask questions. If you wait (or read) you may see someone has already posted your idea, or the situation has been updated, or the poster has clarified information from the original post.

I'm just saying "word" to this whole point and bumping this topic in hopes of a potential re-visit by the mods of the issue. This post exactly captures why I think posting without reading what is current in the thread is rude.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010, 01:34:27 AM »

I'm just saying "word" to this whole point and bumping this topic in hopes of a potential re-visit by the mods of the issue. This post exactly captures why I think posting without reading what is current in the thread is rude.

While I get that it might not be the most polite thing to do, what do you hope the mods to do about it? eHell Dame has already provided us with some guidelines for posting and the attitutde pretty much seems to be, "you are all adults here and don't expect us to moderate everylittle thing".

I think if a poster makes themself look foolish by posting without reading the replies and possible updates, that's their problem. If you feel someone is being rude, you can hit the 'report to moderator' link. But I think this one is pretty much 'unlegislatable'.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »
I do think that the idea of reading the entire thread bears bringing up again.  I've seen multiple threads recently where people have had all sorts of questions and taken the discussion on all sorts of wild tangents because they didn't read the thread and see where their questions had already been answered and their tangents addressed.  No, people can't be forced to read the full thread, but it makes it almost impossible to address the question at hand when they ignore the fact that their issues have been addressed.