Author Topic: Reading the thread?  (Read 27136 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: Reading the thread?
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2010, 11:38:12 AM »
I do think that the idea of reading the entire thread bears bringing up again.  I've seen multiple threads recently where people have had all sorts of questions and taken the discussion on all sorts of wild tangents because they didn't read the thread and see where their questions had already been answered and their tangents addressed.  No, people can't be forced to read the full thread, but it makes it almost impossible to address the question at hand when they ignore the fact that their issues have been addressed.

I agree.  I don't know that there's anything that can or should be done from an official rules standpoint, but I do think that all of us should try to make a point of practicing this little bit of common courtesy.

It is very frustrating to read or participate in a thread where people post without having read the whole thing.  This is particularly true if the topic of discussion evolves, or if people change their opinions based on new information, or if the OP posts an update.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2010, 11:57:30 AM »
With threads that aren't super long, I read the whole thing before I post (say, six pages or less).  Any longer than that, though, and I'll either skim read, or read just the first and last two or three pages, or just not bother replying at all.  I've gotten interested in a thread in the morning, not been able to get back to it for a couple of hours, and then come back to find there are fifteen pages of posts already.  I try to catch up with the first and last pages, but reading the whole thread is not usually an option.

As for missing details in the OP, I tend to skip lines in very long posts.  I've been this kind of reader my entire life; it's a great habit for redundant textbooks with lots of example problems or situations, but not such a great habit for everyday reading.  I don't do it with really engaging novels and the like, but even with fairly interesting reads (novels, posts, anything), I have to constantly work not to skip whole sections.  I promise I don't do it on purpose.  It's just as annoying to me as it is to you, I promise.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2010, 12:04:04 PM »
With threads that aren't super long, I read the whole thing before I post (say, six pages or less).  Any longer than that, though, and I'll either skim read, or read just the first and last two or three pages, or just not bother replying at all.  I've gotten interested in a thread in the morning, not been able to get back to it for a couple of hours, and then come back to find there are fifteen pages of posts already.  I try to catch up with the first and last pages, but reading the whole thread is not usually an option.

I get the feeling that most people skimming or at least looking for updates are going to be aware enough of what's been discussed in the thread already (or any updates) that it counts as reading it.

As for missing details in the OP, I tend to skip lines in very long posts.  I've been this kind of reader my entire life; it's a great habit for redundant textbooks with lots of example problems or situations, but not such a great habit for everyday reading.  I don't do it with really engaging novels and the like, but even with fairly interesting reads (novels, posts, anything), I have to constantly work not to skip whole sections.  I promise I don't do it on purpose.  It's just as annoying to me as it is to you, I promise.

If it makes you feel better, I totally do that too.  I try to read things carefully, but sometimes it just doesn't work as well as I'd like.

So, to go along with the idea that we all ought to try to read the whole thread before posting, I think ti's also important to give the benefit of the doubt in situations where it's possible the poster just overlooked some details, but did actually read all or most of the posts.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »

Actually, more paragraph breaks would be a huge help in itself. More and more I find myself skipping the 'solid wall of text' posts, it's too easy to miss something (and often not worth the trouble it takes to read it carefully).

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »
I do think that the idea of reading the entire thread bears bringing up again.  I've seen multiple threads recently where people have had all sorts of questions and taken the discussion on all sorts of wild tangents because they didn't read the thread and see where their questions had already been answered and their tangents addressed.  No, people can't be forced to read the full thread, but it makes it almost impossible to address the question at hand when they ignore the fact that their issues have been addressed.

Well, that's true too. The thing is, you really don't know if someone is ingoring a point made in the OP or an update, just to make their particular point, or if they honestly missed it and are laboring under a misapprenhension.

The 'who pays the fine' thread is a good example. Even after the OP clarified that person B was person A's last chance, there are still people posting that person A could have called someone else, if only B had said X. So you don't know if they are talking about a similar but hypothetical situation, or they simply responded to OP without reading the posts, including the clarification, in between. It makes a difference in how (or if I want to) respond to them.

Danismom

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »
The ones that bug me the most are the ones when the poster says bluntly:

I haven't read the replies because I didn't want it to color my thoughts on the topic. 

To me that is saying that theirs is the only opinion that matters and everyone else's belongs in the trash heap.  I get really offended by that one. 

When it is an extremely long thread, I may not read every post, but I do skim and read for updates especially.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »

I haven't read the replies because I didn't want it to color my thoughts on the topic. 

To me that is saying that theirs is the only opinion that matters and everyone else's belongs in the trash heap.  I get really offended by that one. 

When it is an extremely long thread, I may not read every post, but I do skim and read for updates especially.

That's one of the only ones I don't mind, so long as they go back later.  I can see wanting to respond to the OP without any other information, especially since some threads seem to snowball and move in interesting directions.  One poster will assume or suggest something not stated, and someone else takes it as fact, and it explodes from there, and all of a sudden everybody thinks it's true.  It's like a game of telephone.  The key is to come back and respond again once you've read everything else.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2010, 04:39:23 PM »

That statement doesn't at all indicate that the writer doesn't think anyone else's opinion matters. It means she wants to give her honest, first-reaction opinion. Most people who do that DO go back and read the rest of the replies afterward.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2010, 06:28:05 PM »

To me it means that they want to give their first reaction opinion with out being influenced by other posters, not that other opinions don't matter.

If a thread has gotten to long before I've had a chance to reply, I usually refrain from replying.  I don't usually have time to read 8 or 10 pages of a thread before replying.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Mikayla

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2010, 08:42:28 PM »
Wow. I have been on here for how long? and i did not know that the "new" button did that. Neat!

I have to know: how did you navigate this site before?

First, I did read through to the end and saw the other answers  :D

For me, it wasn't that big a problem doing it wrong for years, since I'm not that active regularly.  A lot of the threads weren't that big and on the bigger ones I could quickly tell if I wanted to sort back and see my pearls of wisdom, or if it  wasn't worth pursuing.

Edited for badly-needed clarity

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:04:35 PM by Mikayla »

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2010, 09:01:59 PM »

To me it means that they want to give their first reaction opinion with out being influenced by other posters, not that other opinions don't matter.

If a thread has gotten to long before I've had a chance to reply, I usually refrain from replying.  I don't usually have time to read 8 or 10 pages of a thread before replying.

That is precisely what I think as well and I have done the same. To post my reaction to the OP without the influence of subsequent posts.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2010, 10:56:02 PM »

That is precisely what I think as well and I have done the same. To post my reaction to the OP without the influence of subsequent posts.

What I don't understand though is why it is necessary to actually post before reading the thread. If I wanted to post my first reaction, I would go ahead and write out a post, but then read or at least skim through the responses before actually posting it to the thread. Then I could either post the first reaction as is, could edit if I felt that new information changed my opinion, or could add my later changes in views onto the post (e.g. "My first reaction is...but after reading update X, I think..."). I understand the advantage of recording your first impression before reading the replies, but what is gained by posting it before reading?  ???

katycoo

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2010, 11:11:51 PM »
I think its rude to post without reading the OP.

BUT, (and I've just done it in this thread) I don't think there's any obligation to read every post in a thread before responding.  Particularly if its very lengthy.  often I simply don't have time.

Personally, I love it when the OP updates the title so I can skip through to see their updates.  This is helpful if the OP is particularly addressing suggestions made by others, so I can use that as a method not to re-cover ground.

Slightly OT -
I actually take more umbrage with the amount of reads that threads get, particularly in the I Need a Hug and Good News rooms, with no responses at all.  I assume that the poster wants sympathy of some kind, or congratulations, and go in prepared to do so.  Its a short enough post to make and I can't see why you'd bother going in to read if you're not prepared to post?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »

BUT, (and I've just done it in this thread) I don't think there's any obligation to read every post in a thread before responding.  Particularly if its very lengthy.  often I simply don't have time.

Personally, I love it when the OP updates the title so I can skip through to see their updates.  This is helpful if the OP is particularly addressing suggestions made by others, so I can use that as a method not to re-cover ground.

Slightly OT -
I actually take more umbrage with the amount of reads that threads get, particularly in the I Need a Hug and Good News rooms, with no responses at all.  I assume that the poster wants sympathy of some kind, or congratulations, and go in prepared to do so.  Its a short enough post to make and I can't see why you'd bother going in to read if you're not prepared to post?

A lot of those thread views might be people who already posted and are reading the updates. Or the OP reading. Sure, people will always read threads without responding, but it doesn't mean they don't care.

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2010, 11:29:09 PM »

BUT, (and I've just done it in this thread) I don't think there's any obligation to read every post in a thread before responding.  Particularly if its very lengthy.  often I simply don't have time.

Personally, I love it when the OP updates the title so I can skip through to see their updates.  This is helpful if the OP is particularly addressing suggestions made by others, so I can use that as a method not to re-cover ground.

Slightly OT -
I actually take more umbrage with the amount of reads that threads get, particularly in the I Need a Hug and Good News rooms, with no responses at all.  I assume that the poster wants sympathy of some kind, or congratulations, and go in prepared to do so.  Its a short enough post to make and I can't see why you'd bother going in to read if you're not prepared to post?

A lot of those thread views might be people who already posted and are reading the updates. Or the OP reading. Sure, people will always read threads without responding, but it doesn't mean they don't care.

Yes, even before I registered, I noticed the post-to-read ratio was about 1:10. It does vary,  but I assume that's all views, not just for registered posters.