Author Topic: Reading the thread?  (Read 27140 times)

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
Re: Reading the thread?
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
I would also like to add, that even though in some threads I might post before reading all the others, I still do go through and read the whole thread. Even if it is 20 pgs long if it is a topic I am very interested in.
No matter where you go, there you are...

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2010, 11:57:32 PM »
But I do think it's worth noting that every time somebody starts their post with "I didn't read the whole thread but ...."  my mind translates it to "I don't care about your opinions enough to read what you've written, but I expect you to read mine"

I have to say that I agree with this. It comes across as really smug and "Only I know the correct response".

Honestly, I usually don't read posts that start out that way. If that person didn't want to read our posts, I'm not that interested in their opinion.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2010, 12:01:28 AM »
I think its rude to post without reading the OP.

BUT, (and I've just done it in this thread) I don't think there's any obligation to read every post in a thread before responding.  Particularly if its very lengthy.  often I simply don't have time.

<snip>

I don't mean to pick on you personally, you're just the most recent person to say this in the thread.  Here's what I don't understand about what you've written:  If you don't have the time to read what we've written, why should we take the time to read what you've written.  It's a lot like a conversation, it's not really a good conversation if you don't actually do any listening.

On reading the whole thread in general:  I see it a lot like this:  I have a class where the guest speaker speaks for the first twenty minutes, and then takes and answers questions for the next hour.  I once had to arrive at that class forty minutes late.  I chose not to ask any questions during the rest of that class because I didn't know what the speaker presented and what had already been asked.  I felt it would have been rude to basically say "I don't care what you all have said on this topic, only my time and interests are valuable."  I feel that not reading the whole thread works the same way.  And sometimes you don't happen upon a thread until page 15, but if you're not willing to find out what's been going on in the conversation, I don't see how you can feel comfortable contributing.

I've learned from the Forum Administration folder that everyone has different posting preferences/quirks, and it's hard (and probably undesirable) to make enforceable rules to cover every situation.  So I don't think it will necessarily help to make a rule.  But I do think it's worth noting that every time somebody starts their post with "I didn't read the whole thread but ...."  my mind translates it to "I don't care about your opinions enough to read what you've written, but I expect you to read mine."

Possibly you miss the point that not everyone will or can read every post here. This isn't like a class or lecture, because no one is obligated to read anything. If you discover a post that you don't like, you are as free to skip it as anyone else with limited time. I doubt anyone is actually expecting everyone else to read their posts. Some will, that's plenty to keep the ball rolling.

I agree that some posts are awkward to respond to if you feel they haven't read the whole thread, feel free to ignore them :)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2010, 12:38:34 AM »

BUT, (and I've just done it in this thread) I don't think there's any obligation to read every post in a thread before responding.  Particularly if its very lengthy.  often I simply don't have time.

<snip>

I don't mean to pick on you personally, you're just the most recent person to say this in the thread.  Here's what I don't understand about what you've written:  If you don't have the time to read what we've written, why should we take the time to read what you've written.  It's a lot like a conversation, it's not really a good conversation if you don't actually do any listening.

I agree with this.  I also think that the reason why I personally find it frustrating and a little discourteous is that it assumes that the only discussion happening on this board is between posters and the OP.  It ignores the discussion that frequently happens between the posters themselves, which is really a very large portion of what goes on in this forum.

Threads like this one are an excellent example of times when it's especially puzzling to not read the whole thread.  One could construe this thread as several dozen separate conversations with the OP, I suppose, in which case one doesn't need to read more than the OP's posts and one's own.  But I think it's far more logical to look at this thread as a single conversation with many participants.  Not reading the whole thread is kind of like pointedly ignoring everyone except the person who asked the first question.

I also completely understand the idea of not having time to read everything on this forum.  Goodness knows, I certainly don't have anywhere near enough.  There are lots and lots of times where I see a thread that I might have read completely if I'd found it sooner, but don't have time (or inclination) to read once it's several pages.  But the thing is, I don't post in those threads unless curiosity leads me to at least skim what's already been posted.

katycoo

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2010, 11:37:39 PM »

<snip>

On reading the whole thread in general:  I see it a lot like this:  I have a class where the guest speaker speaks for the first twenty minutes, and then takes and answers questions for the next hour.  I once had to arrive at that class forty minutes late.  I chose not to ask any questions during the rest of that class because I didn't know what the speaker presented and what had already been asked.  I felt it would have been rude to basically say "I don't care what you all have said on this topic, only my time and interests are valuable."  I feel that not reading the whole thread works the same way.  And sometimes you don't happen upon a thread until page 15, but if you're not willing to find out what's been going on in the conversation, I don't see how you can feel comfortable contributing.

I'm not saying I don't read anyone's replies.   I do.  But in a long thread, I may skip through it, looking for posts from the OP.  Or read a few pages as I have time.

It also depends on the nature of the post.  When someone's asking for opinions, my opinion as the 300th poster is just as valid as if I were the first.
If they're asking for advice, there's more likely to be additional info and comments throughout the thread.

And what about threads where it isn't really that important?  Eg. the 'Worst movie you've ever seen' thread.  Other than ideas, what everyone else has written doesn't affect my post.

Sometimes I have a post in mind which I think is really pertinent so I post it before I forget, and come back to read the whole thread later.

Threads aren't the same as conversations.

And re the bolded above, its a harsh interpretation, but are you essentially saying "If you can't devote the required time to the forum, your opinons aren't valid"?

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2010, 12:18:10 AM »
Slightly OT -
I actually take more umbrage with the amount of reads that threads get, particularly in the I Need a Hug and Good News rooms, with no responses at all.  I assume that the poster wants sympathy of some kind, or congratulations, and go in prepared to do so.  Its a short enough post to make and I can't see why you'd bother going in to read if you're not prepared to post?

I do that because I don't want to get weeks of new replies that say only Congrats! or ((Hugs!)) but I do want to hear a poster's news so I can PM my congratulations or keep them in my thoughts privately.

ETA If the thread is soliciting advice as well as hugs or congratulations, I will add whatever I have to add/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:23:11 AM by Wendy Moira Angela Pan »

MaggieB

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2010, 12:32:09 AM »
Slightly OT -
I actually take more umbrage with the amount of reads that threads get, particularly in the I Need a Hug and Good News rooms, with no responses at all.  I assume that the poster wants sympathy of some kind, or congratulations, and go in prepared to do so.  Its a short enough post to make and I can't see why you'd bother going in to read if you're not prepared to post?

I do that because I don't want to get weeks of new replies that say only Congrats! or ((Hugs!)) but I do want to hear a poster's news so I can PM my congratulations or keep them in my thoughts privately.

ETA If the thread is soliciting advice as well as hugs or congratulations, I will add whatever I have to add/

Me too.  I really like my fellow EHellions, and it makes me happy when they announce new jobs, engagements, babies, etc.  I also hurt with them when they're going through hard times.  But I don't post in every single thread I read on those boards because I don't want the thread to show up in my "Replies to your posts" every time someone adds something.  I do reply sometimes, like when I feel I have something helpful to add.  Otherwise I just offer up my prayers and continue reading.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »
I don't post in every single thread I read on those boards because I don't want the thread to show up in my "Replies to your posts" every time someone adds something.  I do reply sometimes, like when I feel I have something helpful to add.  Otherwise I just offer up my prayers and continue reading.
Parking my POD here.  ;)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »
I don't post in every single thread I read on those boards because I don't want the thread to show up in my "Replies to your posts" every time someone adds something.  I do reply sometimes, like when I feel I have something helpful to add.  Otherwise I just offer up my prayers and continue reading.
Parking my POD here.  ;)

Pod3

If we had a 'stop following thread' function, I'd be making more posts than I do now (tho that might not be a plus ;D)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »
Slightly OT -

Me too.  I really like my fellow EHellions, and it makes me happy when they announce new jobs, engagements, babies, etc.  I also hurt with them when they're going through hard times.  But I don't post in every single thread I read on those boards because I don't want the thread to show up in my "Replies to your posts" every time someone adds something.  I do reply sometimes, like when I feel I have something helpful to add.  Otherwise I just offer up my prayers and continue reading.

That's pretty much me, as well.  I usually don't post in "good wishes needed" or "great news!" posts when I would be the 50th person to give the same message.  I don't have the email set up for everytime someone replies to a thread that I've posted in, so that's not it.  I'd just like to keep threads less than a mile long, when most people have been saying the same thing.

katycoo

« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2010, 12:58:35 AM »
That's pretty much me, as well.  I usually don't post in "good wishes needed" or "great news!" posts when I would be the 50th person to give the same message.  I don't have the email set up for everytime someone replies to a thread that I've posted in, so that's not it.  I'd just like to keep threads less than a mile long, when most people have been saying the same thing.

If 50 people had said something nice, I wouldn't blink an eye.  It just seems like a lot of threads lately have had very low responses.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »
I understand the reasons for reading all the thread before posting, but I make exceptions for certain types of threads like "Corrupt a Wish."  I use that as an example.  I haven't posted on it because I don't want it to come up on "new replies to your posts" forever.  Yes, I wish the mods would cut those long threads off & restart.  Nothing would be lost & many people would be willing to post if they won't get replies forever.

I also understand that moderators lock threads for various reasons.  I'm just bummed because, by the time I'm half way through the thread, it's locked and I can't comment anymore.  That just happened to me on the PA thread.  I feel trapped in the infamous "Catch 22:" Don't post until you read the entire thread; By then the thread should be locked, so you can't post.  :-\

Could someone pass me some cheese to go with that whine? >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »
I understand the reasons for reading all the thread before posting, but I make exceptions for certain types of threads like "Corrupt a Wish."  I use that as an example.  I haven't posted on it because I don't want it to come up on "new replies to your posts" forever.  Yes, I wish the mods would cut those long threads off & restart.  Nothing would be lost & many people would be willing to post if they won't get replies forever.

I also understand that moderators lock threads for various reasons.  I'm just bummed because, by the time I'm half way through the thread, it's locked and I can't comment anymore.  That just happened to me on the PA thread.  I feel trapped in the infamous "Catch 22:" Don't post until you read the entire thread; By then the thread should be locked, so you can't post.  :-\

While that's actually not a bad idea, you'd lose the epicness of a 400 page thread ;D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2010, 06:54:59 PM »

While that's actually not a bad idea, you'd lose the epicness of a 400 page thread ;D

So true. Some of us were even trying not to hog the pages on some of the epic landmark pages on the The Poster Below Me thread.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
TPBM OP here!  I had NO idea it would take on such a life!  :o ;D

That is one thread that you do NOT have to read all the pages, since each post relates ONLY to the posting above it. 
I like glancing through and seeing what other e-hellions are doing.  Sort of a non-FaceBook "what I am up to now" idea. 
( I am not on FaceBook )

Otherwise, on long story threads, I will compose a reply, save it, and continue reading to see if my "fresh idea" has been considered yet.  Often it has, and I will change my reply, or add to it. 

If you REALLY want to tell something to the OP of a locked thread, you could PM them with your great idea.  Since it is the OP asking for advice, I think that would be ok.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.