Author Topic: Said it to one of my managers  (Read 5042 times)

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
Said it to one of my managers
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:05:34 PM »
One of my managers came up to me today and said "I promised *vendor* we've give them some widgets on Tuesday.  Charlie says you've ordered them before.  I need some new ones.  Order them"  and walked away.

Ok.  I did order these widgets for Charlie, three years ago.  There is more to it than just ordering widgets.  I need massive information.  I need the part number (information I don't have access to) and I need to know what company they want me to order the widgets from and how about "How many?"

And... order them and have them delivered by Tuesday?  Today is Friday, after 12:00... you really expect a miracle?  It usually takes at least a week to order and receive this particular item.

The manager came back to my desk and asked if I had ordered them.  Note that only 5 minutes had passed.  I said "I will be happy to order those for you.  I need to know the part number, what company you want these from, how many, and you will need to contact finance for a charge line." 

He again started with "But I PROMISED *vendor* we'd have them on Tuesday!"  I thought of ehell when I remained very calm and said "I'm afraid that won't be possible.  When you give me the information I need, I will order these right away.  I can request to have them expedited, but there are no guarantees."

He started pouting again, and whined "But I PROMISED!!"  And I just stayed so calm!  "I understand.  When you can get me the information I need, I will order the widgets right away."

Heh.. he brought the information I needed 10 minutes later, and as *I* promised, I ordered the widgets.  Expensive little buggers, these widgets! 
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

CG

Re: Said it to one of my managers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
Sooo...will they be there by Tuesday? >:D

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:03:13 PM »
Nope.  :)  Not gonna happen.  This manager will scream and stomp and yell to my boss about me, about how i didn't get the required items to him on time and that HE PROMISED!! 

My boss will back me.  I'm not worried.  But this guy really knows how to push my buttons and this time I didn't let him.  Dayam it felt good.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:19:45 PM »
I love widgets!

Amava

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 07:22:41 PM »
It's incredible how people blame others for the fact that they promised something impossible to a third party.
*shakes head*
And how they think that, somehow, pleading "But I promised!!!" often enough, will magically make something impossible happen.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 05:56:42 PM »
Back when I worked in the records section I got a call from one of the other offices in the hospital wanting work load figures.  I had learned to keep those numbers up to date monthly, so I e-mailed the person asking a copy of my figures.  They called me back, "We have a short suspense and the report has to be typed up in Word!  You sent them in Excel!  Why'd you send them in Excel?"  ("Short suspense" means they had a short amount of time to get back to the person who requested the information.) 

I told the caller, "I keep my figures on an Excel spreadsheet."

The caller told me, "We need them typed up in Word!  That's the way (high military forehead) wants them!"

I told the caller, "Then go ahead and type them in Word."

"But this is your information!"  They told me.

I told them, "You're the one putting in the report, not me.  I gave you the information, and it's up to you to put it into the format requested."  Or words to that effect; it's been a few years.  I wasn't about to do their work for them, and what I had sent them was very clearly labeled and shouldn't have been that hard to figure out.  Plus, the person doing the requesting had once worked directly with me, so she knew what was in the figures I sent her. 

LAT

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:43:40 AM »
*applauds*

Good going!

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 12:45:02 AM »
He can promise the moon, but unless he's got himself some fancy rocketboots, that's not happening, either ;)

Good for you!

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:08:11 AM »
He can promise the moon, but unless he's got himself some fancy rocketboots, that's not happening, either ;)

Good for you!

Alida, I'm saving this expression for use later - it's too good not to!  ;D

pinkunicorn

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 11:02:08 AM »
Me too! That just cracked me up!
Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out!

Michelle Ravel

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »
EHELLION PWNAGE AND WIN!!!!

Well done!

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »
Well, it's Thursday.  And no widgets.  I told both the manager and the engineer that they should order these early to have on hand just for this reason.  He looked at me in shock and said "But.. they are EXPENSIVE!  We can't leave those around!"

Maybe tomorrow.  I'm not holding my breath.