Author Topic: Thank you, mail lady  (Read 2285 times)

mumma to KMC

Thank you, mail lady
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:29:16 PM »
Not wanting to steal Tabris' post about the mail she received with tire tracks on it, I decided to start a new one. I meant to post this last week, but forgot until I saw Tabris post.

We have a wonderful mail lady. She is very sweet and always polite. Two weeks ago I "won" a big box of cloth diapers from Ebay. They came on Friday. I saw the Postal truck pull up to do the first part of her route in my neighborhood. (A walking route). She saw me leaving the house to run some errands and called over to me saying she had a package for me.

She went back to her truck and grabbed the box for me and walked it over to my house. It wasn't that heavy, but she offered to carry it up to my porch for me. (I had her leave it at the car, I could manage it.)

I have always been very happy with her service. If we don't have mail, she always walks past our porch to make sure that we don't have any out going mail. She is always cheerful when she delivers packages...and even said "Congratulations" when the packages started arriving after ds was born in January.

As a side note here, we get lots of deliveries from shipping companies for dh's graphic design business. (side business for now, hopefully will be full time in the future!) When we get deliveries from those shipping companies, there is a knock at the door, or a ringing of the doorbell and a quick jog down the stairs, even if they see me at the door before they are done knocking. A few weeks ago, there was a 50 lb package delivered. The guy was still "dropping" it as I opened the door. He saw my large 8 month pregnant belly and said "Have a nice day, ma'am." and ran down the steps. Thanks.

oogyda

Re: Thank you, mail lady
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:51:23 AM »
We had a terrific mailman when we first moved here.  Unfortunately, he's retired now. 

There was an elderly gentleman (81) living next door to us.  Very nice and we chatted often.  One day, he fell ill and was taken off in an ambulance.  His daughter was nice enough to come over and let us know what had happened and how he was doing.  During this conversation, I offered to stop over and feed his cat and take in the mail and newspaper for which she was extremely grateful. 

The first time I did this, I noticed a bright orange sticker in his mailbox (the big rural delivery kind).  On it was hand-written "Elderly alone".  Hmmmm.  In the next few days I happened to be near our mailbox when the mailman arrived and I explained that I was taking in neighbors mail when I noticed the sticker and asked him what it meant.  He was distressed to hear that neighbor was ill, but explained that he had put that sticker there so that if the mail wasn't picked up, he would know there might be a problem and have authorities check on him.

I found out later from another mail carrier that they are only required to report anything if the mail hasn't been picked up for 30 days. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 06:35:37 PM »
So nice!  I remember back in '88 when I was expecting DD, my mailman wouldn't let me walk to the end of the drive to the mailbox.  It was extremely hot that summer, and he insisted on bringing me my mail, so I wouldn't have to go out in the heat.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 12:36:44 AM »
Our mail carrier gave my son an expensive box of candy for shovelling out our rack of mailboxes (4, including our neighbors).

We also had a gizmo that rang a buzzer in our house when the mail was delivered. (photo cell and radio waves).   She asked where she could get one for a customer who was elderly and would come out in the snow to check to see if the mail was in.