Author Topic: Amazing household hints  (Read 1486 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Amazing household hints
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »
Mine is for laundry. I've posted before about people using stinky detergent which lingers in the machines and my clothes reek. I've found if I pour vinegar into the machine with my soap, no smell!

I think vinegar can damage elastics or anything with stretch, so it's probably one to be careful with.

I have been using vinegar instead of fabric softener for at least 8 years. I wash everything in the machine and never have had elastic or Spandex fail on me. Bras, sox, waistbands on undies, controltop hose, sweatpants - everything is fine. (And soapfree!)

cwm

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
Using newspaper instead of paper towels somehow prevents your windows from streaking as much when you clean them.

Doesn't work on mirrors. And coffee filters, which are supposed to have the same effect, just streak worse. But for some reason, newspaper works.

Also, vinegar and baking soda make a very effective drain bomb for when you have small clogs.

When I worked in the grooming salon, we had a wall of mirrors and a wall of windows. People would save their newspapers at home, and they never streaked our mirrors.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
Using newspaper instead of paper towels somehow prevents your windows from streaking as much when you clean them.

Doesn't work on mirrors. And coffee filters, which are supposed to have the same effect, just streak worse. But for some reason, newspaper works.

Also, vinegar and baking soda make a very effective drain bomb for when you have small clogs.

When I worked in the grooming salon, we had a wall of mirrors and a wall of windows. People would save their newspapers at home, and they never streaked our mirrors.

Newpapers are cheap, readily available, and work very well on windows and mirrors.  Of course, you have to be *very* careful to not touch the window afterwards, as your hands are BLACK.  But the windows sparkle.  I was amazed when I first saw that.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 02:13:55 PM »
vinegar and baking soda are magical items, IMHO. I use them for a lot of cleaning and de-odorizing.

I recently looked at my big baking pans (the ones that come with the oven - they are the size of the oven and i use them all.the.time) - i use baking paper or tin foil every time, and i clean them but they were icky looking with baked on ickiness. i sprinkled baking soda and a little warm water, let them sit over night, scrubbed a little bit and voila! they look almost brand new.

I'm going to try that!  I actually came here especially to ask about how to get rid of the baked-on gunk on my cookie sheets and pyrex baking dishes!  Thanks!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 02:17:06 PM »
vinegar and baking soda are magical items, IMHO. I use them for a lot of cleaning and de-odorizing.

I recently looked at my big baking pans (the ones that come with the oven - they are the size of the oven and i use them all.the.time) - i use baking paper or tin foil every time, and i clean them but they were icky looking with baked on ickiness. i sprinkled baking soda and a little warm water, let them sit over night, scrubbed a little bit and voila! they look almost brand new.

I'm going to try that!  I actually came here especially to ask about how to get rid of the baked-on gunk on my cookie sheets and pyrex baking dishes!  Thanks!

I'm going to try that, too, but I'll have to use a paste, for the most part, as a lot of my sheets don't have sides.  Or the ickiness is on the back of them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 02:48:30 PM »
I cleaned my incredibly gunky ovens by smearing on a paste of baking soda in water. I meant to do it just overnight, but events intervened, so it stayed on for 3 days (I spritzed it to keep it moist). I could remove the gunk with a spatula and a rag, and the oven looks like new.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)