Author Topic: ". . . And s/he was NOT invited back!" - share your rudest guest stories  (Read 82745 times)

Elle

My family were almost one of those guests.

DSister and I would have been in our early teens. We were going to CO to stay with a college buddy (CB) of my Dad's and his family (pregnant wife and five year old kid). Well wife had her baby a week before we were to leave. Mom told my dad to cancel the trip because we were not going to be imposing on a brand new mom. Dad called CB, CB said "no, come over. Everything is fine!" - I do not know if CB cleared it with his wife (but I suspect not). So we go to CB's house. (We were going to be out of the house skiing every day, so there never was a plan for us to do anything more than join them for dinner and sleep)

Well Mom loaded our family luggage up with onesies, cloth diapers, baby books, presents for the five year old and we stopped at a grocery store on the way there and picked up enough food for a large army. So we would wake up at the crack of dawn and make breakfast (we brought loads of bagels, english muffins, and other instant-ready foods so we wouldn't wake anyone up). Then we'd go ski. Come back for dinner, my mom cooked, Dad cleaned, and Sis and I played with the five year old. By the time we left (four days later) the house was sparkling, the freezer was full of casseroles and lasagnas, and I had read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" about fifty gajillion times.

We are allowed to go back, but it was a near thing on that first day I'm sure.

Mina

BG:  My dad comes from a European culture in which it's customary to open your home to any and all extended family members (and let your adult kids live with you indefinitely).  My mom does not.

Story: When I was about 4 or 5 years old, right before Christmas, the doorbell rings.  It's my dad's brother's estranged wife and her two teenage daughters.  They've just flown in from European country, and they've come to stay in our 1000-square foot apartment with us.  They didn't think to call in advance to make sure we had other plans, or even wait for us to invite them over.  Anyway, two of them slept in a full-size bed in my playroom-turned-the-guestroom, and the third slept on the couch.  My parents footed their food, transportation, and entertainment expenses entirely.  They ended up staying three weeks.  

My dad's brother - the wife and father of the guests in question - also lived nearby at that time, in an apartment by himself, but of course they couldn't stay there....

And we've had many other visits from my dad's European family over the years, but while my parents still choose to take care of their lodging, food, transportation, and entertainment expenses, at least the rest have announced their visit in advance (though pretty much all of them have invited themselves over).

To be fair, we have flown to European country a few times in the last twenty years, and we have stayed in the spare farm home of one of my dad's sisters.  However, we rent our own car, buy our own food, and foot our own entertainment expenses, so we try to pose as little inconvenience to others as possible.  And we have waited to be invited; we don't just invite ourselves over.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
I had just moved into my very first apartment and I really liked it. No one had ever lived in it and I spent a lot of time decorating it and everything. I was quite pleased. Then, I invited this guy I was friends with at the time over and he brought a couple of friends who were visiting him. These guys were the type who thought they were so cool that everyone should just be overjoyed to be in their presence. They came in my apartment and wandered around eating my food and telling stupid stories. Then, one of them walked over to my bookshelf, grabbed my leather Bible that my Mom had got me (which was pretty expensive, not to mention, it was a *Bible*). He took it, held it up in the air, and said "This is what we think of Bibles!" and ripped it up right in front of me! My mouth dropped open and I was speechless! The guy that I had invited over, then said, "Uh, we better get going," and I said "Yeah, I think so." Man, that still makes me angry to think about it.

My jaw actually, truly dropped reading this story. I can't believe anyone would come into someone's home and rip up a book, let alone a religious book. Wow.

Me too! :o
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

MrsO

• Super Hero!
No horrific guest stories of my own, I'm just enjoyhing reading other people's.  :)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Elle,

Will your mom come visit me for a few days?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Skygazer

These stories really brought home the incalculable importance and value of bluntness, a stiff spine and the unwillingness to let others dump on you.

Mina

These stories really brought home the incalculable importance and value of bluntness, a stiff spine and the unwillingness to let others dump on you.

Yeah, I agree.  In the story I posted above, my mom didn't want to start arguments with my dad over his family, because it's very important to my dad to be a good host to his relatives.

I'm moving into my own place over the weekend - it's 2 bedroom, but 1 bedroom will be my office.  No guest room there.  I won't be accepting surprise guests or people who invite themselves over, period.  If I invite someone over, I will get a folding bed or something and store it in the closet afterwards.

drivenbonkers

I have a large garden, with many different kinds of plants. When I have a surplus of plants, I am willing to share with almost everyone.... However some people take it a bit too far.....

One afternoon, one of DH's co-worker's dropped by with his wife and their 2 (unruly, rude) children.

I was showing her (and the kids)the garden.  As I was telling her about the 'cobweb' hens'n'chicks and how the winter and the deer had been very hard on them, what was once a 2 foot by 6 foot patch was now a 1foot square patch, and I had NONE to share, she was greedily grabbing handfuls of them out of the ground.  I just looked at her, shocked,.........  her remark, 'well, they're already out of the ground so I'm not putting them back!'  

I cut the tour short, and we joined up with our DH's out back.  My DH started yipping at me about how I SHOULD give her a pot to hold her handfulls of plants I had given her.....

She's never been invited back by me.  However, she and her DH dropped in when I was not home earlier this summer.... and YES she managed to steal from my garden AGAIN.  

DH now understands that she is the ONLY person NOT allowed near my garden.

supotco

Ah yes.
The guest who took it upon herself to reprogramme my water heater and move my pictures around, followed by (while I was in the shower) taking all my books off the shelves and reorganising them.

To make matters worse, she told one of our mutual friends (who did not believe her, having been over herself) that my house was so dirty I should be reported to environmental health.

She tried to invite herself over a while later, and I asked her why she wanted to stay considering that she clearly believed my house to be a hotbed of death and disease. That email was never answered.

We speak occasionally, but I have not seen her in six months and am not in a hurry to amend this situation.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
Elle,

Me next!! :D

arnadelecour

Elle,

Me next!! :D

Same here!!!! October sounds good to me LOL!

nalapuppy

• always drink upstream from the herd
Some of these stories makes me nervous about having guests....

I've been lucky, all the guest that have stayed have been wonderful!

Hurricane Marathon

Not rude, not bad, just funny:

When I was very little my mom "adopted" a Vietnamese family - they were called "boat people", this was the late 1970's - and they were visiting our house. 

Apparently when our 25lb cat mosey-ed into the room the little boy's eyes grew wide and he said, "In Vietnam we EAT cats!"  My dad said, "Wellll, here in Canada we don't."

I can only imagine the feast that little guy saw in his mind's eye.  :P

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum

When I was very little my mom "adopted" a Vietnamese family - they were called "boat people", this was the late 1970's - and they were visiting our house. 

Apparently when our 25lb cat mosey-ed into the room the little boy's eyes grew wide and he said, "In Vietnam we EAT cats!"  My dad said, "Wellll, here in Canada we don't."

That's hysterical. As long as he didn't, you know, try it out....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

SkyTalon

Hello? Animal shelter? I'd like to order take out...

That's hysterical. As long as he didn't, you know, try it out....
This drill will open a hole in the universe!
And that hole will be a path for those behind us!
The dreams of those who've fallen!
The hopes of those who'll follow!
Those two sets of dreams weave together in a double helix!
Drilling a path towards tomorrow!