Author Topic: ". . . And s/he was NOT invited back!" - share your rudest guest stories  (Read 84836 times)

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
I thought of another story.  When I was little, my paternal uncle lived with my family for about a year.  I was so little that I only vaguely remember it.  My uncle worked at a bank during the day and was bartending at night.  I guess after bar close my uncle would decide to come home (drunk) and wake up the whole house making dinner for himself. (My 2 brothers and I were all 5 yrs old and younger)

One day my paternal grandma (grandparents lived 8 hours away in another state) called while my dad was at work, and my mom answered.  My grandma asked for my uncle, and my mom said, "He's at work"  My grandma replied, "No, he's not.  I just called there and they said he was fired 4 months ago".  My uncle had been getting up, getting dressed and pretending to go to work the whole time; my parents had no idea.

nutraxfornerves

Mine is on the main site. John and Mary and Daisy and Abner. scroll down to the 5th story that begins "This is a Christmas dinner story. " All typos and odd formatting are mine, not Ehelldame's.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
when i was in college i had my own apartment with a close friend.  moving day! new apartment.. the place was amazing. it was recently updated and wonderful!!!

our upstairs neighbors, Slippy and Stoney*, stopped by to greet us to the complex. because roomie's dad and mine had moved us in, we had beer. so to be good hostesses we ordered pizza and offered our beer. they went upstairs to get a movie.. as we only had a handfull unpacked.

we had about a case (not a full one..) roomie and I dont drink much, so we may have had 3 between us.. Slippy and Stoney finished the case...ate the pizza.. made fun of our movies.. our TV... our choice of books.. everything. yet they did. not. leave.

we didn't know what to do... roomie started with "well guys! it's getting late!" nothing. they didn't move. i had to tell them to get out.

then a couple of weeks later, they started yelling at us.. that we stole thier movie.  ::) we gave it back that night.. when they needed to be helped up the stairs to thier place...

*how they introduced themselves to us...

LAT

Of course it's a Christmas story.

My brother Ken and his wife Barbie came over with their two children for Christmas dinner.  They also bring their dog, although they live less than 15 minutes drive from us and easily left him at home at other times.  Fine, I actually liked their dog, but it seemed odd.

They arrive with gifts for everyone... except for me, the hostess.  They even give gifts to other family members there who they normally don't give gifts to.  Needless to say, that's the last Christmas that I give them gifts.

My mom gives their kids Christmas candy and their gifts.  They open stuff downstairs.  A few minutes later the daughter comes up with Ken and they talk to my mom.  Apparently Mom had given her granddaughter a package of jelly beans, and granddaughter had just gotten braces (which Mom didn't know about).  So could she maybe get daughter something else instead, like hard candy?  It's not like it was the only gift, it was part of the Christmas candy.  Honestly.  Suck it up, Ken could eat the jelly beans and buy his kid a package of hard candy.

Barbie never helps with any aspect of cooking or cleaning up, so that wasn't surprising, and there were enough other people to help.

Of course, eventually, as any dog might in a strange house around a bunch of strangers, their dog pees and poops under the kitchen table.  Barbie is upstairs sitting and watching us prepare the meal.  She yells downstairs for her son to come clean up the dog's mess.  No response.  She yells that if someone doesn't come clean it up right now, they're all leaving.  I wonder if I could be so lucky.  But no, Ken comes upstairs and cleans it up.

Luckily we don't have much to do with that branch of the family tree anymore.

Bratski

Wow, some of these stories have me shaking my head. Mine is pretty bad, but not as bad as some.

My DH has a friend named Dan*. He was a big help to DH when his dad's health was failing and was there for him when DH's dad died. Because of this DH felt like he owed him in a way. The first time Dan came over, DH and I had just started dating. Dan is a talented tattoo artist (when he isn't stoned out of his mind) and could make a good living out of it if he stopped hitting the bong, among other things. He did a tattoo on DH (which turned out very well) and wanted a place to stay for a few days as payment.

He made pot brownies while I was out shopping and ended up sleeping on the couch for almost three days. He would get up long enough to watch some TV and talk with DH, then eat some more brownies and go back to sleep. Not that I know this, but he used way too much pot in the brownies. You really shouldn't see the pot in the special brownies. He didn't shower the whole time he was here and got pretty ripe. He raided our cupboards and left dishes scattered everywhere. I found a plate with crackers and ketchup under the couch he had been sleeping on. He also had this way of looking at our stuff like he was calculating how much drugs he could get for them.

During the third day I told DH I wanted my living room back and he had to go. He apologized for being "so messed up" and only hoped that DH remembered how much he had helped him when his dad had died.

A few years later Dan shows up on our doorstep with a bike he wants to sell. He says he's clean and has a small tattoo studio going. He wants DH to buy the bike, I said no as I had my suspicions about the origins of said bike. He then asks to use our phone and computer to try and find a buyer. I have to leave at this point for an appointment and told DH that I expected him gone when I returned. He wasn't but left shortly after, well was thrown out shortly after.

In the course of Dan using our computer he gets a virus on it, changes the desktop icons and background and gives out our number to enough people that it takes almost two weeks for people to stop calling for him. He also ate all of my chips, left spit in my bath tub and smoked a lot of my cigarettes. He told me that I must be smart or something because of all of my books and that I looked pretty good in a tank top. I could feel his eyeballs feeling me up, I needed a deep scrub shower after he left trust me. He also tried to "borrow" 20$ from DH.

After the tank top comment and him thanking DH for helping him get rid of the "hot" bike, DH threw him out. He didn't realize (or want to believe) the bike was stolen and did not appreciate someone commenting on my attributes in that way.
He told Dan that while he had been a good help after his dad's death, he didn't need to keep repaying for it. A true friend wouldn't keep bringing up repayment and that DH didn't want to see him anymore.

DH has a soft heart and brings home "lost puppies", but never lets it gets so far as he did with Dan.

(Dan did end up getting picked up for the bike, one of the people he called was a relative of the owner.)

Yarnspinner

One year I decided to have as many of my friends as possible to my small apartment for a grown up New Year's Party.  One of my less intelligent moves.  Usually it was me, four of my other single friends, a dinner out and an exchange of Christmas gifts.  Since I was the one with the apartment and my friends lived with their parents (still going to school or saving money to get their own place), I usually hosted.

But I thought it would be fun to have lots of people together and that all my friends could meet each other and so on.  

Not my best idea.

Of course, lots of people already had plans, so, in the end, I had the usual four single friends, Best Friend Forever, her husband, her brother...and husband's good friend who had no where to go for New Year's and really didn't want to be alone.  We will call him Boor.

We understood WHY he had nowhere to go soon after he arrived.  Everyone had made some very creative dishes, including a nifty sausage, cheese and fettucine dish, lasagna, chicken casseroles, some Indian delicacies one friend was known for and fondue in several varieties.  Plus chips, dips, cookies and all sorts of goodies.

Boor looked at the array and said "Don't you have anything GOOD to eat?  This is all girly frou-frou %hit."

He didn't like the wine.  Or the dessert.  Or the casseroles.  Or the various ethnic dishes.  

He didn't like the games we had.  He made fun of us for being librarians.  He pulled my unicorn mobile out of the ceiling and bent it in several places.  He tried to take my stereo apart.

He followed one friend into another room and told her he knew a spot on the knee that, if pressed correctly, would stimulate her sexually in one minute.  She amost decked him and left immediately.  He then concentrated his attentions on my tiny friend and wouldn't leave her alone.  Best Friend;s brother took over protecting her.  

They all stayed over and tiny friend stayed in my room with me and the door was locked from inside.  

The next morning, he was complaining about the toast, the donuts and the fact that I didn't have good coffee.  Went into the cupboards and found a packet of Swiss Miss Cocoa.  "Ah, good old Swiss Piss.  This will have to do."

Best Friend and her husband loaded him into their car.  She came back, hugged me and said "I really thought he'd be on better behavior than this...he's been complaining that he can't get a date...now I know why."  We were disappointed because we'd all planned to go to the movies together and out to dinner, but, as she said "I want to take him home before Tiny gets assaulted or you beat him to death--not that you wouldn't be justified."

Tiny and Best Friend's brother dated for several years after that, but they eventually broke up, too.

I saw Boor one more time, when Best Friend's son was christened.  He had improved a bit, but not enough to make up for his gross behavior.  Hope I never see him again!

FunkyMunky

Sis and her BF were 17. BF's mother decided that she didn't like Sis, and gave BF an ultimatum - get rid of Sis, or get out. He chose Sis, and packed his gear. Since his only source of income was a government payment which was paid into his mother's bank account, ha came to stay with us 'for a week or so' until they got his money sorted out.

My father grudgingly agreed, on the condition that BF slept on an airbed on the loungeroom floor. Needless to say, he stayed longer than a week. He gradually migrated into my sister's room (with the door left open, on Dad's instruction), IIRC because it was too cold int he lounge - the only room with a heater.  ::) Eventually, the door was closed. BF never had enough money to pay board, or look for a place to rent, but he could always buy himself new clothes, and a brand new PlayStation when they first came out (About $700), and of course a dozen games. They would also make loud, insulting comments about my mother's cooking, then cook their own dinner (which is fine, except my parents were paying for the ingredients). If we sat down to watch a video as a family, they would buy microwave popcorn and eat it in the same room as us, while never offering any.

Eventually, they did move out (together), after a week or so had turned into over 2 years. BF later left Sis, being over $1000 in debt to her (he never stopped mooching), having wrecked her car, and taking many things that she'd paid for with him.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
A friend of a friend was invited to party. Apart from being a terrible bore (with no volume control) who talked over other people and insisted on winning every argument he started, as he left (with the hapless friend who invited him along in the first place) the entire party heard him declare (as he walked about the door) "Well... I guess it wasn't that bad. It wasn't as boring as I thought it was going to be". Um.. thanks? ::)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

cass2591

• Global Moderator
I had a platonic friendship with a man. We were very good friends, talked on the phone frequently, met for dinner once a week and swapped tales of good times and bad, had philosophical discussions, etc. One evening he came over and we were just watching TV when he announced he was going to take his clothes off.

And he did. The more I freaked out with each piece of clothing he removed the more agitated he became. While he was not physically aggressive, in fact he didn't come near me, I nevertheless was scared that he might try to rape me. I was absolutely stunned as he had never displayed this type of behavior before. Because he was sitting between the couch and the door, I realized that in order to escape I had to leap over furniture to do so. Just as I was about to, he suddenly came out of whatever was possessing his mind and returned to his "normal" state.

I didn't even have to kick him out because he was so embarrassed he left immediately. A few weeks later I got a card from him with a sincere apology, but the damage was done as I felt I couldn't trust him. I heard later from mutual acquaintances that he was diagnosed with a psych disorder, but I never saw him again.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
I had a platonic friendship with a man. We were very good friends, talked on the phone frequently, met for dinner once a week and swapped tales of good times and bad, had philosophical discussions, etc. One evening he came over and we were just watching TV when he announced he was going to take his clothes off.

And he did. The more I freaked out with each piece of clothing he removed the more agitated he became. While he was not physically aggressive, in fact he didn't come near me, I nevertheless was scared that he might try to rape me. I was absolutely stunned as he had never displayed this type of behavior before. Because he was sitting between the couch and the door, I realized that in order to escape I had to leap over furniture to do so. Just as I was about to, he suddenly came out of whatever was possessing his mind and returned to his "normal" state.

I didn't even have to kick him out because he was so embarrassed he left immediately. A few weeks later I got a card from him with a sincere apology, but the damage was done as I felt I couldn't trust him. I heard later from mutual acquaintances that he was diagnosed with a psych disorder, but I never saw him again.

That's kinda sad  :( . I can understand how why you felt threatened, though. I have no idea how I'd react to a situation like that.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
I thought of yet another one.  I had a friend in h.s. & college "Sally" who started going out "Bob".  We had gone to h.s. with Bob, too, & even though I had never really socialized with him during h.s., I thought he was cool & was glad when they got together.  Soon found out that Bob was pretty much a psycho.

One time we were at a party, me, Sally, Bob, & another friend.  I can't remember now exactly what it was, but as we were leaving, The 4th friend decided to report to Bob that someone inside had made some insult about Bob.  So Bob goes in his trunk and takes out a liquor bottle, walks back to the house.  The house had a front porch that was pretty much a "sun porch" (all windows), & Bob breaks every porch window with the bottle.

Another time I heard through a friend that Sally & Bob were at another party and apparently the host was hitting on Sally.  Instead of being flattered, or not caring, or telling the guy to knock it off, Bob decides to get his revenge on the guy by stealing his video game.  Sally knew he did it & didn't care.

Sally & Bob are still together & have at least 2 kids together last I heard.

whylime13

In college while I was living in the dorms my roommate and I were happy to welcome just about anyone to our room while we were awake and usually the door was open.  I did have one friend who really abused that policy though.  He was known to stay for hours and really monopolize our time while he was there (with other friends I could get a little homework done while chatting, this guy had to be the center of attention).  The time that really sticks out in my mind was when he was over for 5+ hours.  After about an hour and a half of chatting myself and another friend said 'its time to go we are leaving for diner.'  My roommate had a stomach bug and was looking forward to some peace and quiet.  I was a bit surprised to walk out of the room and see that he had not followed (this actually happened a couple times, nothing like having to stick your head back in the room to say 'you have to leave now so I can lock the door') so I eventually retrieved him, he was going to go back to his room while friend and I went to the dining hall to eat.  I see him double back in the stairwell but don't have time to investigate as the dining hall is closing soon.  45 plus minutes later I get back from dinner and find him still in my room yaking my roommates ear off.  (sorry roommie) She looked really miserable.  I don't know why I didn't just kick him out then, but I suppose I thought he would get a clue that he was no longer welcome.  The conversation continues for a bit and we invite a third friend over to see if we can gross him out into leaving (I don't know why we thought this would work).  I won't go into the details of what was said, but I think it was an uncomfortable conversation for everyone but that guy, he is unflappable.  I eventually say 'you have to leave' and stated the reasons why the visit needed to be over but he still didn't get it.  So a few minutes later I stood up and said 'leave now!' and motioned toward the door but he still didn't make any motion that he was going to leave.  At that point I admit I snapped.  I shouted 'GET OUT OF MY ROOM!!' at the time I was a very meek person so this moment came as a surprise to many.  He was still talking away and not leaving so I pushed him out and locked the door.  And he stood in the hallway and talked to the door for a few minutes, it was crazy!.  For a few weeks after that we had a locked door policy and friends would call ahead to let us know they were dropping by, otherwise we would pretend to be not home for unexpected visitors.

thebeckster

I don't have any stories, and hopefully am not the subject of any stories. I do, however, want the updates.

rhirhi

A friend of a friend was invited to party. Apart from being a terrible bore (with no volume control) who talked over other people and insisted on winning every argument he started, as he left (with the hapless friend who invited him along in the first place) the entire party heard him declare (as he walked about the door) "Well... I guess it wasn't that bad. It wasn't as boring as I thought it was going to be". Um.. thanks? ::)

That's what DH is like when he drinks- and heaven forbid you have a conversation with someone else while he's talking! I'm so grateful he's quit.

gibsongirl

I think that if the friendship was strong enough at the time, a firm, "No, you're not, and if you start to you'll be leaving" would have been my reaction.