Author Topic: ". . . And s/he was NOT invited back!" - share your rudest guest stories  (Read 85418 times)

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
Re: ". . . And s/he was NOT invited back!" - share your rudest guest stories
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2009, 06:15:35 PM »
My brother got married in August. Since our family is quite large and so is SIL's, the guest list got a little bit out of hand and the wedding ended up being larger than they'd originally planned for.

SIL's mother asked if she could bring her new boyfriend. SIL said it was okay, as long as it was just him, because they were trying to keep the guest list from exploding. Then her father announced his intention to bring his new girlfriend, her four children, and all of their children (it would have been seventeen people total). SIL put her foot down and told him that he could bring his girlfriend but that would be it since neither her or my brother know any of the girlfriend's children and grandchildren.

Come the day of the wedding SIL's mother brought her new boyfriend. He brought his six-year-old daughter who was not invited and did not clear it with anyone first.

Her father's girlfriend brought two of her daughters.These two women proceded to get rip-roaring drunk and were dirty dancing together. If that weren't enough, they started to make out on the dance floor! My mother's side of the family is quite conservative and were staring, shocked, at their behaviour.

Luckily, the rest of the wedding went well and everyone had a great time.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2009, 09:48:34 PM »
This is one I've only ever told verbally.

BG: My mother was good friends with Anna.  She was a fixture as I grew up, to the point where I thought of her as an aunt.  Anna had two daughters, Vera and Tina.  I was good friends with both of them (but felt closer to Tina.)  Anna had always been... troubled.  (I didn't learn this until much later, to my chagrin.)  My mother left my father before I was 10, and we moved out of BigCity to SmallSuburb.  We spent a few years away, then eventually came back to BigCity.  End BG

So, I was 15.  Mother and I were living in a small apartment, but enjoying being on our own.  One day, Anna comes to visit with Tina.  Mother wasn't home, but I tell her that Mother will be back soon, so she and Tina can wait.  Like I said, they're like family.

She goes to use the bathroom, and I'm hanging out with Tina, and after a few minutes, we hear kind of a whimpering sound coming from the bathroom.  We couldn't figure out what it was, so Tina went to check on her mom.  And.  Freaked.  Out.  It turns out (long story short as this can be disturbing) that Anna was in the process of overdosing.  (She was, um, still in bodily possession of drug paraphernalia without using her hands... that's as delicate as I can get and still paint the picture).

So.  We have an adult passed out in the bathroom.  We have one 15 year old crying like there's no tomorrow.  And we have another 15 year old who just had a bomb dropped on them.  Thankfully, in a crisis my head stays straight and I call 911.  Cue a third degree call (yes, I know you have to know what she was "doing", but if the 15 year old on the phone tells you they don't know just send the freaking ambulance already!), and me trying simultaneously to explain to the dispatcher what I've found, and trying to comfort Tina (who was a very dear friend in addition to being like family).

Cut to Mother getting home.  By then, all of this was over (Anna and Tina were at the hospital, I was not allowed to ride with them or I would have to help Tina.)  I explain to her exactly what had happened, and Mother.  Was.  FURIOUS.  Part of her, I now believe, was furious with herself for putting us in the position of dealing with this, but largely she was furious with Anna for doing that when the only people there were a pair of teenagers.

Even though I saw Tina a few more times, that was the last time I ever saw Anna.

Footnote:  Writing this story made me Google Anna.  (She had a fairly unusual surname).  Turns out she died a few years ago.  So yes, that was literally the last time I ever saw her.

skbenny

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
I can't think of a good story, I just want updates.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2009, 12:16:24 AM »
Traska, that was the saddest story ever. I hope Tina (and Vera) were okay. :(
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Rosgrana

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2009, 12:49:40 AM »
Not really that bad in comparison to others, but the repercussions lasted years. Here goes:

My Grandparents. Visited one summer when Big Sister and I were about seven and four, and took us out for the day. I ran away and hid, hurt and confused, after GF "humorously" addressed BS and me respectively as "Beauty" and "The Beast". (Oh, ha-ha-ha. Yes, I was an ugly child. Yes, I knew it. But I was four. And I wasn't stupid, either - he meant it.) When I came out, he smacked me several times, and considered the matter closed. I wept in torrents, BS wept in sympathy, and my parents naturally inquired when we returned from our jolly outing red and dripping, with an atmosphere you could cut with a hacksaw.

GF refused to explain, GM pretended not to know, and BS told the tale between sniffs. My parents went quietly ballistic. They read the GPs the Riot Act, and asked for their promise that they would never hit us again, which GF refused to give. He was The PatriarchTM, and would discipline any and all of his subordinates as he pleased! My parents went inter-continental thermo-nuclear ballistic, and the visit was abruptly curtailed.

The GPs were invited back, ("Faaaamileeeee!") or rather allowed to invite themselves back (The PatriarchTM does not require an invitation, y'know... ::) ) but they were never left alone with us again, and my parents made darn sure they were clear on why.

Josiepug

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2009, 11:35:58 AM »
Her father's girlfriend brought two of her daughters.These two women proceded to get rip-roaring drunk and were dirty dancing together. If that weren't enough, they started to make out on the dance floor! My mother's side of the family is quite conservative and were staring, shocked, at their behaviour.

Um, I'm not sure that any family, conservative or not, would be pleased at witnessing two sisters making out on the dance floor. I love my sister, but um, not that way.

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »

Um, I'm not sure that any family, conservative or not, would be pleased at witnessing two sisters making out on the dance floor. I love my sister, but um, not that way.

OOooo I totally read that wrong.  I thought it was the Mother and the Step-mother.  Wow.  That takes it to a new level.

Pure class right there.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »

OOooo I totally read that wrong.  I thought it was the Mother and the Step-mother.  Wow.  That takes it to a new level.

Pure class right there.

That was how I read it too. *cringes*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Namárië

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
Really really really hoping one was actually a daughter-in-law. Because otherwise.... ugh.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »

Pure class right there.

That was how I read it too. *cringes*

I read Gf and ex wife hoping it didn't mean the sisters,but am still not sure.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2009, 05:28:49 PM »
     Ugh...I just remembered our rude guest stories that happened to my family a few years ago.  My dad's best friend from Minnesota decided that he wanted to come to San Diego for his vacation, but neglected to tell us that his wife, daughter, son-in-law and their two children would be coming to visit also.  My dad, thinking that it was only his best friend coming to visit him, offered to pick him up from the airport, show him around town and let him stay at our house.  Imagine our shock when not one, but SIX people came traipsing into our small three bedroom house....    :o
    DF and I had to call his parents and beg to sleep at their house because they took over our room without asking.  This family never offered to help around the house with the messes they caused, my dad's best friend continually insulted my mother and I because we were "nothing but women" and the children were generally misbehaving and getting into my stuff without permission (sprayed my expensive perfume everywhere, took my books off the shelf and bent them).  My mother and I kept our peace until the daughter absentmindedly opened one of our pet tarantula's cages and didn't close the lid therefore letting a semi-poisonous tarantula (Indian Ornamental Tarantula) loose in our garage after we had told her NOT to open any of the cages and not to mess with our pets!   >:(     

Another rude guest was my dad's sister who came to stay with us as she was going to be the bone marrow donor for my dad's bone marrow transplant.  We were incredibly thankful that she was willing to do this for my dad and we paid for everything so that she could come here and donate, but she was definitely a handful.  She continually told my father that we weren't taking care of him properly because we weren't feeding him healthy organic food (at this point we were lucky he ate anything...) and we were going to "kill him" if we didn't send him to the Mayo Clinic. 
     Also, she called me a rude, ungrateful and selfish person for keeping my cats in the house when I should get rid of them despite the fact that I had had these cats for years and we took all necessary precautions for my dad's health.  She stayed in my room, but while she was in my room she burnt sage so my room smelled for weeks and when she left I discovered that she had stolen a few of my books.  After she left we found out from another aunt that she continually bad-mouthed my mom and I and told his family that we were the reason that he died...   >:( :o :( >:( :-\ :'( :o >:( :(

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2009, 01:52:35 AM »
     Ugh...I just remembered our rude guest stories that happened to my family a few years ago.  My dad's best friend from Minnesota decided that he wanted to come to San Diego for his vacation, but neglected to tell us that his wife, daughter, son-in-law and their two children would be coming to visit also.  My dad, thinking that it was only his best friend coming to visit him, offered to pick him up from the airport, show him around town and let him stay at our house.  Imagine our shock when not one, but SIX people came traipsing into our small three bedroom house....    :o
    DF and I had to call his parents and beg to sleep at their house because they took over our room without asking.  This family never offered to help around the house with the messes they caused, my dad's best friend continually insulted my mother and I because we were "nothing but women" and the children were generally misbehaving and getting into my stuff without permission (sprayed my expensive perfume everywhere, took my books off the shelf and bent them).  My mother and I kept our peace until the daughter absentmindedly opened one of our pet tarantula's cages and didn't close the lid therefore letting a semi-poisonous tarantula (Indian Ornamental Tarantula) loose in our garage after we had told her NOT to open any of the cages and not to mess with our pets!   >:(     

Another rude guest was my dad's sister who came to stay with us as she was going to be the bone marrow donor for my dad's bone marrow transplant.  We were incredibly thankful that she was willing to do this for my dad and we paid for everything so that she could come here and donate, but she was definitely a handful.  She continually told my father that we weren't taking care of him properly because we weren't feeding him healthy organic food (at this point we were lucky he ate anything...) and we were going to "kill him" if we didn't send him to the Mayo Clinic. 
     Also, she called me a rude, ungrateful and selfish person for keeping my cats in the house when I should get rid of them despite the fact that I had had these cats for years and we took all necessary precautions for my dad's health.  She stayed in my room, but while she was in my room she burnt sage so my room smelled for weeks and when she left I discovered that she had stolen a few of my books.  After she left we found out from another aunt that she continually bad-mouthed my mom and I and told his family that we were the reason that he died...   >:( :o :( >:( :-\ :'( :o >:( :(

No rude stories by me yet but... :o >:( :o >:( :'( I don't know what to say about that but :o
Stewart/Colbert '16

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2009, 09:21:57 AM »
I have six children.  This happened when they were all very small.  My bil's fiance came to visit me one evening while my then husband was out of town.  I got the kids to bed and she and I sat and visited, drinking coffee.  Ten o clock came around and she was still there.  I was tired from dealing with a large family all day and I was hoping she would be leaving soon.  Then it was midnight and she was still there.  I kept hoping, getting more tired by the minute.  The it was 2am and she was still there.  I could hardly keep my head up, but continued visiting with her, trying to be a good hostess.  Then three o'clock came with her still there talking a mile a minute.  Finally, around 4am, she said she guessed she should be going.   I was so grateful I just wanted to kiss her!  Well, not really, but I was never so glad to see a guest depart. 
I don't know why I didn't just say something.  I guess I was raised to be polite to a fault.  It was memorable and I never had her back over, again.  I wonder if she ever thinks about that and says about herself, "What a dope!"
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2009, 10:06:33 AM »
When my BF (now DH) was staying with me for 6 months one year - we lived in different countries and it was his chance to get to know my home country and culture - a friend of his visited us.

First, we spent a few days with my parents, and while he was a bit awkward, there was nothing special to report. He's always a little awkward socially but a great friend and my parents saw through the awkwardness and liked him a lot.

Then the time came for us three to head off to my little student appartment. It was just after Christmas and I'd been home a few weeks, which meant there was no food in the appartment. Mom gave us leftovers to take with us - both guys were right there, watching and even picking things they'd especially liked.
A 3-hour-drive later, we got to my Uni town, we did some sight seeing and everything was dandy.
We got home, I warmed up the leftovers, thinking I'd probably taken too much, as we were going out for dinner the day after but decided I could freeze the rest for myself.
False alarm. I went to bed hungry that night. Before I could even really get to the table - I did tell them to start while I was still heating up things - almost everything was gone and my BF had hardly eaten a thing either.
Friend ate four plates of turkey stirfry and two plates of carrot-rice casserole.

That evening, as we were staying in my tiny student appartment, I was the first to disappear into the bathroom with my pajamas, get ready and changed. My BF was the next. I believe he even said something in the tune of: "Ok, off I go to change, I guess you don't care to see my hairy butt, Friend" as he gathered up his stuff. While BF was in the bathroom, Friend and I were talking, both relaxing on our beds (well, his "bed" was an air matress). All of a sudden, he took off his sweater and folds it neatly. I thought nothing of it.
He then took off his jeans and folded them neatly.
And his t-shirt.
By that time I was starting to get a little frazzled.
When he took off his boxershorts while lying down, I was too shocked to say a thing. I just looked the other way and hoped it'd be over soon.
He kept chatting and when my BF got back into the room he was in his pajamas.

I told my BF what had happened and he had a private talk with Friend and made sure he'd only change in the bathroom from then on.

ETA: wow, thanks rashea for letting me know  :-[
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:10:51 AM by magdalena »

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2009, 02:08:35 PM »
I had one of these, too. A friend from a web site I'd frequented for years, she was vouched for by mutual friends as a really nice girl, and someone they'd have stay with them in a pinch, too. She was needing a place to stay for about three weeks while moving cross country (Seattle area to Florida).

First, she was very, very picky and particular. She was Buddhist, which wasn't an issue for me (friend who is also Buddhist and from Seattle area had JUST left two months before, after a wonderful four month stay with me) and vegetarian. These things are only important because she 1) had to have a completely vegetarian space in the fridge/completely vegetarian dishes and pans/completely vegetarian utensils (nothing I'd ever heard of - was as strict as kosher!) and 2) had to chant for two hours a day, in a completely silent house. I wasn't supposed to talk, watch TV, listen to music, or do anything that made any noise while this went on... in my own house!

She also had issues with hygiene. She wore dreadlocks, which she didn't care for properly and they stunk (this is unnecessary - dreads don't have to smell). She also didn't use deodorant, bathe more than once a week, wear shoes unless necessary and then only sandals, wash her feet off after wearing sandals all day, or do dishes or laundry. She also didn't like buying her own groceries, but could complain loudly if I didn't bring home enough for her, too.

Those were the longest three weeks of my life. I was SO glad to see her go - I had to air the place out for three days and wash everything fabric in the guest room, including curtains and spare blankets in the closet. Yuk!