Author Topic: ". . . And s/he was NOT invited back!" - share your rudest guest stories  (Read 84946 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: ". . . And s/he was NOT invited back!" - share your rudest guest stories
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
I had one of these, too. A friend from a web site I'd frequented for years, she was vouched for by mutual friends as a really nice girl, and someone they'd have stay with them in a pinch, too. She was needing a place to stay for about three weeks while moving cross country (Seattle area to Florida).

First, she was very, very picky and particular. She was Buddhist, which wasn't an issue for me (friend who is also Buddhist and from Seattle area had JUST left two months before, after a wonderful four month stay with me) and vegetarian. These things are only important because she 1) had to have a completely vegetarian space in the fridge/completely vegetarian dishes and pans/completely vegetarian utensils (nothing I'd ever heard of - was as strict as kosher!) and 2) had to chant for two hours a day, in a completely silent house. I wasn't supposed to talk, watch TV, listen to music, or do anything that made any noise while this went on... in my own house!

She also had issues with hygiene. She wore dreadlocks, which she didn't care for properly and they stunk (this is unnecessary - dreads don't have to smell). She also didn't use deodorant, bathe more than once a week, wear shoes unless necessary and then only sandals, wash her feet off after wearing sandals all day, or do dishes or laundry. She also didn't like buying her own groceries, but could complain loudly if I didn't bring home enough for her, too.

Those were the longest three weeks of my life. I was SO glad to see her go - I had to air the place out for three days and wash everything fabric in the guest room, including curtains and spare blankets in the closet. Yuk!
At what point could you have said, "This isn't working out.  I will accomodate a guest within reasonable expectations, however, you have exceeded those.  These are MY house rules for the rest of your stay." (and then lay them out).
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2009, 08:26:51 PM »
One of my BFFs from HS, so I gave her a lot of leeway because I knew her for 20ish years ::) . . . these stories take place when we were both in our 30s. (There are many other "small" incidents, but these "take-the-cake" and are the reason I did the cold-cut.)

"Lori" was a major party animal. Needed to socialize.

Story #1 -- The night DD#1 and I came home from the hospital after her birth. LDH, DD#1 and I were just settling in. There was an unexpected knock on the door. It was Lori. "I just came over to celebrate!" Nosing past me through the door while I was saying "Now is not a good time" Lori: "I'll only stay a minute!" as she pulled out her bottle of rum. ::)

Long story short, and yes, there were a lot of things I could have done, but she ended up staying for 3+ hours . . . I went to bed after asking her to leave many times . . . Sorry! LDH! :-* He later told me that she.just.would.not.leave. Short of turning off the lights and going to bed himself, he said he did everything he could think of to get rid of her.

Story #2 -- LDH and I were entertaining a couple (LDH's co-worker and his wife) for dinner and an enjoyable evening. After dinner, the phone rings. It's Lori, all in tears because she was "stood up" for a date that she had planned for that evening, wanting to know if she could come over. (I went to the other room and talked to her in hushed tones.)

Me: Lori, we have guests.
Lori: Oh! You're having a party? Can I come over?
Me: No, It's not a "party" these are work people.
Lori: So . . . what? I'm not good enough for your "work people?"
Me: We're just having a quiet evening . . . nobody else is invited.
Lori: I just feel so lonely right now! (sob!) I could really use a friend!
Me: Well, were going to be playing "game" . . .
Lori: I love that game! I'll be over in a bit (hangs up.) :o

She shows up at the door, sits down at the table ("game" that we are playing is one that doesn't have teams and if you come into "game" late, you're behind, but you can still play.) After a bit of politeness, Lori starts making comments such as "This game s*cks." "I got stood up tonight, how do you like them apples?" "Can't we play something else?"

Long story short (HA! :D), I took her to another room and said "Lori, you're ruining my evening. Please leave." She left in a huff stating "Some friend you are! I got stood up tonight!"

Lori had been my friend for a long time. There were times when she really was "there for me." But, along with the many other small incidents, I was at the end of my rope. Stories 1-2-3 took place over 2+ years.

Story #3, the Deal Breaker -- DD#2 was 3 months old. LDH was out of town on a business trip.

Thursday, Daycare called me at work stating that there is a problem with DD#2. I ended up taking DD#2 to the emergency room. She was diagnosed with RVS. I made arrangements with SIL to pick up DD#1 and take care of her through the weekend. I spent Thursday night at the hospital with DD#2.

DD#2 was released late Friday afternoon. I was given instructions and a therapist was going to come to our home with a breathing apparatus, show me how to use it, explain warning signs, etc.

The phone rings. I pick up and it's Lori (this was before caller ID.)

Lori: Let's PARTY!
Me: Um, Lori . . . explain what's going on, DD#2 being severely ill, therapist coming over, blah, blah, blah.
Lori: Oh! I'm so sorry! Can I come over and help you! Give you hugs! You poor thing!
Me (actually needing hugs at this point): Sure, come on over, but understand that this is what's going on.

Later, after therapist came and went, I left the front door open so that Lori could just walk in. I was sitting on the living room floor with DD#2 in my arms, lights dim and soft soothing classical music playing.

Lori came in, changed the stereo station, turned the volume up and announced "I'm here to cheer you up! Look!! She's sleeping! Can't you get a babysitter so that we could go out and party?"

What happened after that is definitely not e-hell approved.

But it was a long time in coming.

And, No. I've never talked to Lori again after that night.

missmolly

« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2009, 09:08:18 PM »
One of my BFFs from HS, so I gave her a lot of leeway because I knew her for 20ish years ::) . . . these stories take place when we were both in our 30s. (There are many other "small" incidents, but these "take-the-cake" and are the reason I did the cold-cut.)

"Lori" was a major party animal. Needed to socialize.

Story #1 -- The night DD#1 and I came home from the hospital after her birth. LDH, DD#1 and I were just settling in. There was an unexpected knock on the door. It was Lori. "I just came over to celebrate!" Nosing past me through the door while I was saying "Now is not a good time" Lori: "I'll only stay a minute!" as she pulled out her bottle of rum. ::)

Long story short, and yes, there were a lot of things I could have done, but she ended up staying for 3+ hours . . . I went to bed after asking her to leave many times . . . Sorry! LDH! :-* He later told me that she.just.would.not.leave. Short of turning off the lights and going to bed himself, he said he did everything he could think of to get rid of her.

Story #2 -- LDH and I were entertaining a couple (LDH's co-worker and his wife) for dinner and an enjoyable evening. After dinner, the phone rings. It's Lori, all in tears because she was "stood up" for a date that she had planned for that evening, wanting to know if she could come over. (I went to the other room and talked to her in hushed tones.)

Me: Lori, we have guests.
Lori: Oh! You're having a party? Can I come over?
Me: No, It's not a "party" these are work people.
Lori: So . . . what? I'm not good enough for your "work people?"
Me: We're just having a quiet evening . . . nobody else is invited.
Lori: I just feel so lonely right now! (sob!) I could really use a friend!
Me: Well, were going to be playing "game" . . .
Lori: I love that game! I'll be over in a bit (hangs up.) :o

She shows up at the door, sits down at the table ("game" that we are playing is one that doesn't have teams and if you come into "game" late, you're behind, but you can still play.) After a bit of politeness, Lori starts making comments such as "This game s*cks." "I got stood up tonight, how do you like them apples?" "Can't we play something else?"

Long story short (HA! :D), I took her to another room and said "Lori, you're ruining my evening. Please leave." She left in a huff stating "Some friend you are! I got stood up tonight!"

Lori had been my friend for a long time. There were times when she really was "there for me." But, along with the many other small incidents, I was at the end of my rope. Stories 1-2-3 took place over 2+ years.

Story #3, the Deal Breaker -- DD#2 was 3 months old. LDH was out of town on a business trip.

Thursday, Daycare called me at work stating that there is a problem with DD#2. I ended up taking DD#2 to the emergency room. She was diagnosed with RVS. I made arrangements with SIL to pick up DD#1 and take care of her through the weekend. I spent Thursday night at the hospital with DD#2.

DD#2 was released late Friday afternoon. I was given instructions and a therapist was going to come to our home with a breathing apparatus, show me how to use it, explain warning signs, etc.

The phone rings. I pick up and it's Lori (this was before caller ID.)

Lori: Let's PARTY!
Me: Um, Lori . . . explain what's going on, DD#2 being severely ill, therapist coming over, blah, blah, blah.
Lori: Oh! I'm so sorry! Can I come over and help you! Give you hugs! You poor thing!
Me (actually needing hugs at this point): Sure, come on over, but understand that this is what's going on.

Later, after therapist came and went, I left the front door open so that Lori could just walk in. I was sitting on the living room floor with DD#2 in my arms, lights dim and soft soothing classical music playing.

Lori came in, changed the stereo station, turned the volume up and announced "I'm here to cheer you up! Look!! She's sleeping! Can't you get a babysitter so that we could go out and party?"

What happened after that is definitely not e-hell approved.

But it was a long time in coming.

And, No. I've never talked to Lori again after that night.

I'm guessing (well, hoping, actually), that Lori doesn't have kids.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2009, 09:58:31 PM »
RebeccainAr: All I can say is :o :oEeeeeeewwwwwww gross!! :o :o

Ed.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2009, 10:01:27 PM »
Personally - as long as you didn't draw & quarter her after tar & feathering her - I'd give you a pass on verbally tearing her head off and blistering her behind.  It sounds like she wouldn't recognize anything less than a real bulldozer running over her..........and pushing her back out of the door.

Narcissist as well as childless, it would sound like.  
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

claddagh lass

« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »
Story 1  My ex-boyfriend occasionally got his kicks by announcing what he had that others didn't.  One time when my parents were within hearing range he told me how he can constantly see his friends and play assorted board games with them and hang out with them.  I forget the conversation next but it ended with him calling me a very rude name.

Dad marched into the room, pointed his finger at my ex, and said "You!  Out!  And if I ever hear you call my daughter that name again I will personally march down to your house and drag your sorry carcass back and make you apologize to her!  That is after I tell your father how his son treats girls he claims to care about!"

He never did come back to our house and it happened shortly before our break up but that's another story.

Story 2  My parents heard about this one and banned the one lady from the house all together.

I'm working on doing my costuming including undergarments.  My hips are my widest measurement so I had to adjust the corset pattern to make it fit more comfortably.  Because of that I had to remeasure all of my boning channels.

The spot of tiny town I live in is considered the heart of town and the majority of folks live there.  There's one lady who is the town gossip and in short is not a nice person.

At the coffee shop I was double checking all of my measurements for my corset.  She walked in, sneered at me, and called me several slang and derogatory words for a lady of the night.  She later claimed it was a joke but no one was laughing.

As soon as my parents found out they said "That woman is never coming into our house!"

gibsongirl

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »
At the coffee shop I was double checking all of my measurements for my corset.  She walked in, sneered at me, and called me several slang and derogatory words for a lady of the night.  She later claimed it was a joke but no one was laughing.

As soon as my parents found out they said "That woman is never coming into our house!"

:o ::)  I wear my corset to class, and everyone LOVES it.  It totally bites that that type of wear is associated with *ahem* ladies of the night, especially because a well fitted corset is very flattering.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »
I ran into a friend at the quilt market & festival in Houston last week, who told me that NEXT year she is bringing her corset (civil war reenactment, I think) with her next year so that she doesn't end up with the horrible back ache that she had this year.

Cement floors, walking 20 or 21 aisles a day for four days, then a short break while market switches to festival (we went shopping at Ikea after lunch), and three and a half MORE days of cement floors before she headed for home............  I was working and wearing rubber soled shoes the entire time, I am about ten years younger, and I noticed tired feet & a sore back too.

But I got to handle some of the yummy quilts as they were unpacked, hung, and then taken down & repacked for shipping.  There are some very talented quilters represented - and some of the antique quilts are worth studying just because they SURVIVED over a hundred years!  (An 1897 wedding quilt comes to mind.)
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

claddagh lass

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »
:o ::)  I wear my corset to class, and everyone LOVES it.  It totally bites that that type of wear is associated with *ahem* ladies of the night, especially because a well fitted corset is very flattering.

Indeed that is quite true.  As it's for the 1860's time period I only need it to fit snugly as they did back then. 

I've been professionally fitted for one so if all else fails I can always order it from them.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »

I'm confused. I thought corsets were underwear, so how would people know you were wearing one?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

gibsongirl

« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »

I'm confused. I thought corsets were underwear, so how would people know you were wearing one?

There's a quite lovely subset of corsets which are decorative, (brocades and the like), that are made for outer wear over a plain shirt or a chemise.  I have a professionally made double sided corset (black brocaded with green on one side, and then a double shaded silvery gold on the other), which I wear for special occasions, or when my back is giving me trouble.  It looks like a vest without the straps that go over your arms, and dresses up the simplest outfit.  Very classy.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2009, 05:04:39 PM »
Ah. I know what you mean now, and they are, indeed, pretty.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
B/G - I grew up on a very large farm in South Australia. My parents got involved in a program kind of like an exchange student, but it was exchange Farmers. Most of the district was involved. Some one from our district would travel to another country to learn new farming techniques and we would get someone from that country to learn ours.

As we not only has a massive house, but also a small guest house (lounge, bedroom and bathroom) we got the visiting farmer (VF). End B/G

The VF was a total chauvinist. He would not speak to my mum or I unless Dad was there. He was super insulting about Mum and I working on the property (it was a family run farm so we all did our share). It got to the point he flat out told my mum that she shouldn't be able to leave the house and Dad should beat her if she didn't do exactly as he said.  :o

He was also very racist and told my dad to shoot the Aboriginal farmhand we had as he 'was just vermin'  :o

The final straw was the day Dad and our only other male farmhand had to go into town for something (this was a 3 hour round trip including shopping time). The VF was out in the workshed that was located about 200m from the house. After an hour or so Mum and I heard a huge BANG. We didn't think much of it as it was a workshop, things where always getting dropped, thumped, etc.

About 45 minutes later the VF walks in the door DRIPPING in blood from his hand and belly. Mum rushes over and it turns out the tips of every finger on one hand are missing and he has a massive scrape mark on his belly, that has gone through his shirt and taken the skin off. She muttered a few choice remarks about his stupidity and bundled him in the car to the hospital (an hour away).

We found out later that he had found a box of old bullets in the shed and thought he would use the angle grinder (a big powertool used for grinding off metal edges - think welding etc) to 'shine them up'. Of course it had exploded in his hand. That was the loud bang we heard almost an HOUR ago! He was too ashamed to come and tell the mere women about the stupid thing he had done and thought he would wait until Dad got home. He did have some brains though, because when he finally realised how much blood he was loosing he came up to the house.

Mum called Dad to tell him what had happened and by the time they were finished at the hospital, Dad had lined up another house (men only) for him to stay for the remaining 2 weeks.

That was the last visiting Farmer that Mum ever allowed to stay with us.

FunkyMunky

Her father's girlfriend brought two of her daughters.These two women proceded to get rip-roaring drunk and were dirty dancing together. If that weren't enough, they started to make out on the dance floor! My mother's side of the family is quite conservative and were staring, shocked, at their behaviour.

Um, I'm not sure that any family, conservative or not, would be pleased at witnessing two sisters making out on the dance floor. I love my sister, but um, not that way.

From what I hear, it's common behaviour among young women to attract men. But I've only heard of it done in a club setting, not at a wedding, in front of one's MOTHER.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
If you need attention so badly that you make out with your sister that may be a sign you need professional; help.