Author Topic: ". . . And s/he was NOT invited back!" - share your rudest guest stories  (Read 88613 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
He's a beautiful boy!

A good friend of mine once had two beautiful cats, one black and one tuxedo.  One of the handymen in her building hated cats and used to say things like "Let me kill your cats for you."  I don't know if she ever complained to management, but she used to threaten him back.

bluedahlia

He's a beautiful boy!

A good friend of mine once had two beautiful cats, one black and one tuxedo.  One of the handymen in her building hated cats and used to say things like "Let me kill your cats for you."  I don't know if she ever complained to management, but she used to threaten him back.

See, there's socially inept and then there's stuff like that.  On what planet would that be even remotely acceptable as banter?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Pretty kitty!  He looks just like my last kitty Boris.  Complete with the "who me?"
 expression.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
I once threatened to toss a friend out of my apartment for hissing at and teasing my cat. Startled, he said, "You'd throw me out of your house over the cat?"

I said, "He lives here and you don't."

He stopped teasing the cat, but I didn't invite him over again.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

goldilocks

I had my cat before I had my husband.  DH was talking to some guests one day and said, Yeah, I don't really like cats - but that one is grandfathered in.  But once he's gone, we ARE not getting another.

I said, well, that's funny - that is the same thing the cat says about you.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Back in my college days I was looking for a roommate and interviewing quite a few people for the spot. One fellow seemed promising and said he was fine with my two cats, so I invited him over to meet him in person and do some additional screening.

Things went quite well for a while. Then Morgan, who was not a shy cat, jumped into the guy's lap to say hello. Guy yelled "NO!!" and pushed Morgan roughly to the floor, where he landed on his side.

The next words he heard were "GET.OUT.NOW" with my face about three inches from his. It was all I could do not to punch him. Strike 1: Disliking and being nasty to cats. Strike 2: Blatantly lying to me about his feelings about cats.

I'd had a much nastier incident concerning roommates and cats before this, so I thought I was being careful by doing some phone screening. So much for that idea.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
Well, I was actually on the other end of this spectrum. Iíve posted about them on here before, but two friends of mine who are roommates have a lot of dogs at their place that are basically, to sum it up, hell spawns. Many behavorial problems with the dogs that roommates are in denial about or donít think are problems at all. Itís not very enjoyable to hang out in a place that stinks (one the problems is their frequent urinating on the floor, and also the dog smell) or have to be around constantly misbehaving, disrupting dogs. So Iíve been permanently disinvited from most functions at their house because I wonít put up with it. The roommates have stated that theyíll only invite people who understand dogs.  ::)

Reader

This was years ago when I was hosting a weekly Friday night get together at my house to play cards with the same bunch of friends each time.  We started at 9pm and would normally go to about 2am and I supplied all the alcoholic beverages from beer to liquor and we would normally split the cost of pizza and since it was an open invite people didn't need to RVSP, just show up when they are available. So we would not always have the same people, or number of people show up.  Normal routine was people show up at 9, take a consensus of what they want on the pizza, order, eat and then start playing cards.   So 11pm rolls around and in strolls Late guy.  Who proceeds to start complaining that there is no pizza left, can't join the card game we have been playing because we are in the middle of it, then in between sips of beer proceeds to call me a b**** in front of everyone.  Cue jaw dropping from everyone, including me.   He was promptly shown the door and was told not to come back.  He was very lucky my ex-boyfriend was not present during that time.  When my ex heard about the incident on the next Friday night he proclaimed he would have proceeded to kick Late guy's bacon fed knave severely (Ex is a black belt in martial arts of some kind I forget exactly which one).  Late guy received a ban from all our group outings for years after this.  Still to this day over 10 years later I have never received an apology.  I am friends with his wife, who was from this group so I still have limited contact with him.  Although I can say marriage and having a child has seemed to matured him, because I no longer hear of incidents like this one.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
This was years ago when I was hosting a weekly Friday night get together at my house to play cards with the same bunch of friends each time.  We started at 9pm and would normally go to about 2am and I supplied all the alcoholic beverages from beer to liquor and we would normally split the cost of pizza and since it was an open invite people didn't need to RVSP, just show up when they are available.

You are quite possibly the most awesome host ever. Just so you know.  :)
Words mean things.

Pinky830

I had my cat before I had my husband.  DH was talking to some guests one day and said, Yeah, I don't really like cats - but that one is grandfathered in.  But once he's gone, we ARE not getting another.

That's hilarious! That's what DH says about our current cat, and he is dead serious. This cat does have some really bothersome habits. Actually, DD once told him he had an evil soul. But anyway, next time DH mentions it, that's totally what I'm going to say.

Baby Snakes

I think it depends on the level of hissing. My sister will sometimes hiss if she sees my cat misbehaving. But hissing to express overt hostility while talking about what filthy creatures they are? That gets you banned. I don't expect everyone to love, or even like my cat. If they don't want to pet or interact with her, that's fine too. But what did guy did was much beyond that.

Yeah, it wasn't just about the hissing. The dude doesn't have to love my cat. Or even like him. I have friends that don't care for cats. But they're not outright hostile to cats. And this wasn't like a little "hiss hiss" (I've done that with cats that have claws. My current guy had his claws taken away before he came to me). This was a full on HIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS complete with saliva flying far and wide, due to the strength of the hiss. And coupled with talking about how "filthy" cats are (I'm sorry, but most cats I know spend about a 1/3 of their awake time grooming), and talking about how black cats are the worst of them all (cuz, ya know, the color of the cat totally means something...). No. Absolutely no.

And part of what made me so mad about it (I probably should have mentioned it before) is my little guy is super shy. This is not a get-in-your-face-love-me-for-I-am-CAT kind of cat. This is a bashful Hi-I-am-scared-and-insecure-and-you-seem-nice-but-I-am-scared kind of cat. When company comes over, he doesn't come up on to the couch unless invited.

ETA: here are a few photos of him http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=92788.0. He is a giant scaredy cat.

He's adorable!  If someone came into my house and hissed at my cat they would be shown the door immediately - I don't put up with that for anyone.

My sweet girl Lucy was rather portly and my BIL just HAD to make a comment about it. Each.and.every.time.he.saw.her.  Yes, BIL I know, she's chubby, so can it.

Dr. F.

My sweet girl Lucy was rather portly and my BIL just HAD to make a comment about it. Each.and.every.time.he.saw.her.  Yes, BIL I know, she's chubby, so can it.

I think I may have  accidentally screwed up the quote tree. Apologies!

This is sort of an extreme version of not being invited back, and it didn't happen to me, but to a friend.

Friend had a rather chubby cat who COULD NOT be trusted to free-feed. He would eat himself sick, and so had to be fed measured portions at regular intervals. Friend went out of town and had then-BF take care of the cat while she was gone.

She got home to then-BF saying, "Hey, while you were gone, I thought it would be fun to see just HOW MUCH chubby cat could eat at one time!"

He was shocked - SHOCKED!!! when he suddenly became ex-BF.  ::)

Dr. F.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)

I think I may have  accidentally screwed up the quote tree. Apologies!

This is sort of an extreme version of not being invited back, and it didn't happen to me, but to a friend.

Friend had a rather chubby cat who COULD NOT be trusted to free-feed. He would eat himself sick, and so had to be fed measured portions at regular intervals. Friend went out of town and had then-BF take care of the cat while she was gone.

She got home to then-BF saying, "Hey, while you were gone, I thought it would be fun to see just HOW MUCH chubby cat could eat at one time!"

He was shocked - SHOCKED!!! when he suddenly became ex-BF.  ::)

Dr. F.

I have a pair of sturdy paratrooper's boots.  They come halfway up my calf.

I think it would be fun to see just HOW MUCH of that could fit into a grown human being's rectum at one time.

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
This involves two relatives on DH's side of the family.  One is a cousin who decided to relocate from the Mt. Vernon, NY area after his divorce (which was entirely his fault, he got hooked on crack and had an affair with his daughter's best friend, which the daughter found out when she overheard a phone conversation- she has had no contact with her father since!) He thought that he could just stay at his cousin's house - that lasted about a week until I put my foot down . To this day I refuse to speak to him (it's been 11 years!), have him even in my front yard or acknowledge him because he has never apologized for assuming that our house was open for him.

The other involves an ex-wife of another cousin who during a visit decided that she needed the money out of my wallet, as I just got paid.  Again, this involves drug addiction (crack).  She has not been invited back and it has been about 19 years for her.  These are the only two relatives that have been banned from my house - there may be others, but I never know.
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou

Miss Misha

Sounds like the conversation Mr.#2 and I had about huskies......