News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 03:23:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: About an old thread-Girl blamed for driver's ed accident  (Read 9124 times)

Ashy

Re: About an old thread-Girl blamed for driver's ed accident
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 05:01:33 PM »
Sorry it took me a few days to post again, I've been trying to read all the old threads, and man does that take up a lot of time lol!

Thanks to everyone again for the warm welcome, and I'm sure you'll be reading more posts from me soon. ;D

Dindrane

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I don't remember if I'd seen that story before or not, but I can definitely sympathize.  I remember learning to drive, and how terrifying that was.  I can only imagine how much more terrifying it would be to also have just gotten into a car-totaling accident.

I also can completely understand why after-the-fact anger (even of the blistering sort) doesn't go hand in hand with standing up for yourself in the moment.  Especially given the other information you posted recently, I am not surprised that you didn't try to fight the situation more.  Goodness knows I wouldn't have.  But, like you, I'd have replayed the scene in my head over and over again as time passed.  Give it a couple of years (and a newly developed backbone), and I'd be able to work myself into a towering rage just thinking about the whole incident.

Ashy

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »
I've gotten to the point where I put a humorous spin on it when it does come up, because (and this is just my weird sense of humor) the fact that my first bad driving incident was wreaking the driver's ed car is actually sort of funny to me. The BS surrounding it, not so much...but I've learned from my mom that you might as well laugh, its better then crying over it. There are so many experiences from my childhood that I could go into major depressions over if I let myself, but I don't. I try to find the humor in it, if there is any lol.

Bless my mom for teaching me this.  :)

marcel

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 09:33:09 AM »
Yes, I can definitely see how this might happen.

When I was 16/17, I got into a car accident.  I was going straight through a green light, and a guy from my high school turned left in front of me.  I hit his back right bumper.  Completely his fault.

How was this his fault? Person in front of you stops , means that you stop as well. If you don't it is your fault for hitting him.
It is completely irrelevant whether his left turn was legal there or not, you always need enough distance behind the person in front of you to be able to stop when he/she stops.

As for the person in the OP, I am still baffled about a student driver getting a ticket. That is legally not possible where I live.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Shores

• F.O.E.
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 09:43:05 AM »

When I was 16/17, I got into a car accident.  I was going straight through a green light, and a guy from my high school turned left in front of me.  I hit his back right bumper.  Completely his fault.

How was this his fault? Person in front of you stops , means that you stop as well. If you don't it is your fault for hitting him.
It is completely irrelevant whether his left turn was legal there or not, you always need enough distance behind the person in front of you to be able to stop when he/she stops.

As for the person in the OP, I am still baffled about a student driver getting a ticket. That is legally not possible where I live.
I don't think the driver was in front of her when he made the left turn. It wouldn't have been possible for her to hit his right bumper if he'd been in front of her.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

evely28

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 10:06:45 AM »
I think the guy was coming from the opposite direction, so it's his fault for not yielding.

marcel

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:18 AM »
Some of those days, I just can not read any more ::). I read rear bumper instead of right bumper  :-[
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Asharah

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:48 AM »

I don't think the driver was in front of her when he made the left turn. It wouldn't have been possible for her to hit his right bumper if he'd been in front of her.
I think the driver making the left turn cut in front of her when she was going straight through the light, which was his fault since he should have waited until the oncoming traffic cleared before turning, unless there was a left turn arrow lit up. Same thing happened to me once, I was going straight through the light, guy made a left turn right into my path and I hit his passenger side. Cop declared it was his fault.
Asharah

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »

I think the driver making the left turn cut in front of her when she was going straight through the light, which was his fault since he should have waited until the oncoming traffic cleared before turning, unless there was a left turn arrow lit up. Same thing happened to me once, I was going straight through the light, guy made a left turn right into my path and I hit his passenger side. Cop declared it was his fault.

Yes, that's right.  I should have been more clear; he was in the oncoming lane, not my lane.  There was also a lane full of left-turning cars (on my side of the road), so predicting that he was going to turn left would have been impossible since I couldn't see around them until I was almost in the intersection.  Thankfully, I'd slowed down a bit because of that, or it could have been much worse.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

djinnidjream

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
I always complained about the sexist cops in my town and my DH always blew me off.  I had an accident with a bicyclist- it was totally his fault and I got the ticket.  DH's female friend got T-Boned by a vehicle when she was trying to clear the intersection, and she got the ticket.

A few years later, my best friend's DH, who is an insurance adjustor told me and DH, without my prompting, that our town cops were really sexist- there were a lot of instances where a woman driver got a ticket when an accident wasn't her fault.  I felt slightly vindicated at that one.

I worry about when my DD starts driving sometimes...
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey