Author Topic: I'm using and repeating this wedding-style  (Read 19848 times)

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
Re: I'm using and repeating this wedding-style
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 02:39:16 PM »
With friends like that who needs enemies?

Ed.

Amava

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 02:51:15 PM »
Quote from: Dindrane
This is one thing that always bugs me about people in a general sense.  Ultimately, anyone can do whatever they want.  But some people seem to think that means they should be able to do whatever they want without suffering any consequences.
I really like this paragraph.

Count me in with the posters who think that GirlyJock has dodged a bullet there. This bride spells nothing but trouble.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 08:50:21 PM »
I agree with the others, you certainly dodged a bullet!  I can see the "friend" heading towards bridezilla status too (if she isn't already there).

I'd delete her FB posts, and defriend her. 

I would also definitely be telling anyone who questions me about the situation the the truth - that "friend" picked the one day of the month that I'd already told her I'd be unavailable, despite the fact that she had other dates to choose from.  There's no way I'd be taking this damage to my reputation lying down!

I'm curious now as to the other things she's done prior to this this...

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »
I would also definitely be telling anyone who questions me about the situation the the truth - that "friend" picked the one day of the month that I'd already told her I'd be unavailable, despite the fact that she had other dates to choose from.  There's no way I'd be taking this damage to my reputation lying down!

PODding this!  There is no reason to be a doormat for her slander, go ahead and defend yourself, as long as you do it politely.  And actually, the phrasing above is a good way to say it.

GirlyJock

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 09:22:14 PM »
I've been fairly laid back about everything. When people ask, I politely remind them that her wedding falls on MY birthday, which is a fairly big deal (it'll be the second year I won't be celebrating with my family, and the first time that I can have a birthday that falls on a weekend, and might be "all about me").

And yes, there are a number of other reasons why I dropped out: The G2B called my fiance and I "copycats" for getting engaged (BK waited a month longer than he wanted to so that they could have their time in the spotlight), the B2B kept telling me BK wasn't proposing because he "had doubts" (um, no, he was giving you time in the spotlight), my last ex is invited (and my relationship with him kept BK and I from getting together sooner), the B2B "stole" several ideas that I wanted to use for my wedding (including the dress I was planning on wearing), and the B2B talked about using a wedding gift (a high-end mixer her mom promised her) to make cupcakes for the big day. She's planning on doing 2 types of cake and 2 types of icing. All from different recipes of course, boxed mixes wouldn't do for her wedding (she claims baking helps her de-stress, and I tried to talk her out of it, suggesting going light on the flowers or decorations, as people would remember the cake more, but she said she didn't want to spend the $300). And plans to start baking the cupcakes weeks early, saying that if she puts them in tupperware, they won't be stale. I get the feeling that someone might eat a batch without knowing what they're for, and the bridal party will be frantically making them the day of.

Bluenomi

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 09:36:48 PM »
Wow, I think you'll be glad you don't have to be in this wedding after all!

When we were setting our date I ruled out one Saturday in June since it was the day before a good friend's birthday and she wasn't even in the bridal party. I can't believe picking a date you know won't work for a bridesmaid on puropse when you have 29 other days to pick from

GirlyJock

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »
The funny thing is, I posted all the details on the knot before I decided, and everyone pretty much told me to get over it, that they'd have laughed at anyone who tried to make them change their wedding date, that it was her day, and I should get over everything (ignoring that I was a bride too and she took my dress/wedding ideas!) and stop being a baby.

Namárië

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 10:57:49 AM »
I just have to throw it out there: you can make cupcakes months ahead of time. Putting them in tupperware will result in wrappers peeling away from the cake, but if you wrap them in plastic wrap then aluminum foil (without frosting!!!) and freeze them, they can last quite a while.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

GirlyJock

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 01:09:17 PM »
Namari, that's fine, but the B2B in this case has to make 12 dozen cupcakes so that each guest can have ONE (and she'd have to bake them all at her parents' house). And I get the feeling that there will be guests that take "extra", but she didn't believe me about that.

Namárië

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »
Oh yeah, people will definitely want more than one (well... they will if the cupcakes are tasty). And it is insane of her to think that she can frost/decorate all of the cupcakes the day before/day of the wedding (which is when it would have to be done). The baking part, though, is totally doable. :P

That, of course, doesn't make the BTB's behavior any less bizarre.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »
The nicest thing about the cupcakes is that they aren't your problem!   :D
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

GirlyJock

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 05:23:01 PM »
Oh yeah, people will definitely want more than one (well... they will if the cupcakes are tasty). And it is insane of her to think that she can frost/decorate all of the cupcakes the day before/day of the wedding (which is when it would have to be done). The baking part, though, is totally doable. :P

You're also forgetting that store-bought icing isn't good enough for her wedding cucakes. She plans on making 2 different kinds of frosting from scratch. And the ceremony's at around 11.

Namárië

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 09:37:45 AM »

You're also forgetting that store-bought icing isn't good enough for her wedding cucakes. She plans on making 2 different kinds of frosting from scratch. And the ceremony's at around 11.

I sure hope she likes supermarket cupcakes. :P
Competence is a trap!

GirlyJock

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 02:01:36 PM »
She just might have to start developing a taste for them. One of her bridesmaids mentioned to me that she told the B2B that she would not be handling any last-minute emergencies that resulted from poor planning, including any baking-related tasks the morning of the wedding.

The B2B may be having budget issues (she's mentioned wanting to save money several times), but is ignoring a lot of practical suggestions: instead of doing a picnic of sorts for the reception, she's having the food and dancing reception (at noon or 1 p.m., I'm not sure which), a sheet cake is tacky-looking (isn't the point of a cake to be delicious? If it tastes like heaven, I don't care what it looks like), and the last time I spoke to her, she mentioned that she was putting off some tasks, like finding a photographer, because she knew it would be expensive (which is why the photographer came right after the church and reception venue for me, so that I could find a good one and stay in budget). It seems like she wants her princess day, and her parents haven't contributed enough to make that happen.

The whole thing has since blown over, and the B2B has told me that my bridesmaid spot is still open (and will be open), should I decide to take it, as I've been trying to offer her practical advice with the baking (I have the same type of mixer that she's planning on using, so I've let her know that she'll need extra mixing bowls, etc., as you can really only make 2 dozen cupcakes per bowl in one shot). I'm tempted to say yes, simply to observe the wedding and then report back (the groom wants to ask his fraternity's cook to be a groomsman. The cook is middle-aged and has a wife. The groom's dad will also be a groomsman/best man. It might be weird for the bridesmaids, all of whom are in their very early 20s, and there will be an attendants' dance, where the attendants dance with each other.)

thebeckster

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »
The frat's cook? Is he close to him, or looking for a back up for the cupcakes?