Author Topic: when they ask why, and I know they will  (Read 12954 times)

BettyDraper

Re: when they ask why, and I know they will
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »
"I don't think our lifestyles have all that much in common.  Good luck with PTA this year; bye now."  or something along those lines.  If the wife goes ballistic, just hang up the phone.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but if I extended my bed to guests (not likely, truth be told) I wouldn't be particularly disturbed if they had s.e.x. in it -- that's what people do, after all.  Of course any couple with couth would exert themselves mightily to leave no trace of their presence in the bed,  but I'd be stripping the sheets and mattress pad anyway after guests so not that big a deal.  Then again my bed is about 80 years old (not the mattress set, of course!) and likely has seen quite a bit of action. 

Amava

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »
If I offered my bed to a grown-up couple, I would not be surprised, icked out or insulted if they had adult time in it. I wouldn't mind that.
But touch my laptop without asking, and you (general you) will be out on the kerb before you can say "why". Okay, maybe not. Maybe I would just sternly ask not to do that anymore. But I am very possessive of my computer stuff, and I don't take well to people touching it without at least asking first.

accio_books

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »
*snip* 
If you do still want to maintain some sort of rel@tionship with them, I would not invite them over to your house anymore, or at least not serve alcohol if you do

That was going to be my suggestion. I'd bet anything that once they realize you are offering booze-free dinners, they will go *poof*.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 07:31:10 PM »
May I say that someone taking my laptop and using it unasked would be like someone taking my bed and using it, unasked.

With my partner still in it.  >:(
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Stouthunter

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »
May I say that someone taking my laptop and using it unasked would be like someone taking my bed and using it, unasked.

With my partner still in it.  >:(

Mine is older one is password protected and the newest has a fingerprint mode. I'm considering this:

http://www.frontdoorsoftware.com/index.htm

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »

With my partner still in it.  >:(

Mine is older one is password protected and the newest has a fingerprint mode. I'm considering this:

Hope we're talking laptops, not partners!  >:D

(I love the bit on that site about the laptop shouting "You are NOT my owner! Return me NOW!")
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »
DH recently has to de-bug his father's computer, which was not then password protected, because they had some friends stay over for a few days, and then the computer would not let anyone open, well, pretty much any program.  DH had to do a "nuke and pave" because it was messed up that badly.  He checked back in the surfing history, and found lots of 'pron' sites, and lots of trojans, virii, etc.   :o  So, after the nuke and pave, he set up an admin account, his father's account, and a guest account as a restricted user.

Hadn't done it before because none of the family had ever caused this issue to come up.  :-\   ::)

And if you want to, you can always tell someone they need to get off your computer.  Now!   But the password is always good.  All of our systems, desktop and laptop, require a password to get onto them.

pootbear

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »
Unless the wife coming unglued means you might be visited with violence, don't worry about it.  Do not invite them over, ever again. When she shows up on your doorstep and you can't ignore her because your kid's have already pressed their cute noses to the window, THAT's the time for "I'm sorry, I didn't expect you and it's just not possible for me to invite you in right now."

Then leave the peephole and invite your cute kids to the kitchen or some other nice place away from the front door/window.

If she presses and boy, she sounds like someone who would, IMHO this is one of those occasions where a FIB is OK. Tell her you don't fell well (the truth as her surprise visit made you feel uncomfortable) and as you're afraid you might be contagious (the fib) you just can't open the door.

She and they are not friends but merely people who have worn out their welcome; don't worry about hurting their feeling: they do not respect yours!

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 05:14:42 PM »
Personally, they would not be invited back.  If they attempted to invite themselves, I would not be available or "up" to having visitors.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  You don't owe an explanation.  To some, no explanation is necessary.  To others (like these people), none would suffice.  So I would save my breath...and sanity...by simply not engaging any further.

Stouthunter

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 07:39:24 PM »

With my partner still in it.  >:(

Hope we're talking laptops, not partners!  >:D

(I love the bit on that site about the laptop shouting "You are NOT my owner! Return me NOW!")

No not my DW -LOL.

Goog

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »
OP...any updates?  Have you gotten rid of the moochers, or at least set limits with them?

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 08:54:46 PM »
I'd love to know too. I hope it all went well.
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »
"I'm afraid we can't afford to be friends with you any longer."  *big smile*
This. It really seems that you don't want to be friends anymore. I'd feel the same in your position.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 06:20:37 PM »
If I offered my bed to a grown-up couple, I would not be surprised, icked out or insulted if they had adult time in it. I wouldn't mind that.
But touch my laptop without asking, and you (general you) will be out on the kerb before you can say "why". Okay, maybe not. Maybe I would just sternly ask not to do that anymore. But I am very possessive of my computer stuff, and I don't take well to people touching it without at least asking first.

Yeah, same here.

For the OP, i think it matters what kind of relationship, if any, you want with these people.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »
Well, if I let a married couple use my bed (because I wouldn't let an unmarried couple use it, my place my rules) I would mind if they played "scrabble" in it. Very much. I don't think that's something that needs to happen if you're a sleepover guest at somebody else's house.

Ed.