General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?

<< < (46/50) > >>

Chivewarrior:

--- Quote from: stormyskies on May 07, 2013, 11:01:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: DistantStar on March 16, 2013, 10:46:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: nuit93 on January 18, 2013, 04:10:12 PM ---(If you haven't seen Pachelbel's Rant, I can't recommend it enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM)

--- End quote ---

I can't recommend finding a cellist to watch this with enough.  It was sent to me by a dear friend who was one.  It's fall-on-floor funny!

--- End quote ---

Hahaha I love that rant:"When you walk to school with a cello you're like a wounded gazelle on the Serengeti"

My sister (a vocalist) assures me that ALL musicians hate Pachelbels Canon, not just the cellists. Anything that is played over and over again eventually acquires a certain punitive effect  :P

--- End quote ---
Coming from a school with a stronger-than-average traditional music program (we have very large banjo, fiddle, and mandolin classes), it doesn't get as strong hate here simply because when was the last time you ever heard Pachelbel's Canon on the banjo? Though now I kind of want someone to do that...

In that same traditional music program, I've heard several people saying things along the lines of "Someday, I'm going to play Wagon Wheel at my wedding!" which isn't as inappropriate as a lot of the stuff here, but it's still about hitchhiking, losing all your money at poker, and... possibly drugs; I'm not totally sure what the singer is meant to have been doing with the trucker they hitchhiked with.

*new*mommyagain36:
^ My 2 year old DD LOVES Wagon Wheel (Darius Rucker sings it now).  She like to sing "Rock me Mama" and "hey, Mama rock me" - when she wants *me* to sit and rock with *her*   ;D

Also, just my 2 cents but Lovesong by The Cure is beautiful and definitely a great wedding song!
DD and DH/ I dance to Guns and Roses "Sweet Child O' Mine" all the time, I could see her using that as her Daddy/Daughter dance someday.  She loves it.

BB-VA:

--- Quote from: DistantStar on March 16, 2013, 10:46:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: nuit93 on January 18, 2013, 04:10:12 PM ---(If you haven't seen Pachelbel's Rant, I can't recommend it enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM)

--- End quote ---

I can't recommend finding a cellist to watch this with enough.  It was sent to me by a dear friend who was one.  It's fall-on-floor funny!

--- End quote ---

So is Rockelbel's Canon:

http://youtu.be/LV5_xj_yuhs

RebeccainGA:
There are two unconventional/obscure songs that (when) DP and I can get legally married, I want played. Yes, we've had two small wedding ceremonies. No, that doesn't mean that I can't have a 'real' one when it's legal, and darn it, I want one where I don't have to do anything but be the bride on my wedding day for once!

One is the James Taylor song "New Hymn" - http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/james+taylor/new+hymn_20069195.html
It's sort of an invocation to all the power of the world - God, science, love, life. Makes me cry, often, hearing it - it's just so powerful.

The other one is really light hearted, and lovely, and was what I thought of when DP gave me my engagement ring. She had a really hard time affording anything, and then stumbled into a sale and was able to buy me *two* of the same ring (it's a tiny eternity set, 1/4 carat total each, but with two soldered together it goes from 'tiny ring' to something really magnificent - a metaphor for marriage if I've ever heard one!). It's called "Cracker Jack Ring", by a family friend, Pierce Pettis. http://www.newreleasetuesday.com/lyricsdetail.php?lyrics_id=50719

My favorite part?

"I worked a whole year Ė toil, sweat and tears, and I sold my red Trans Am,
Baby, I donít mind Ė Iíd do it anytime, just to put that ring on your hand,
Itís just a little stone, and donít think I donít know you could do a lot better than me,
Iím such a lucky guy and, baby, that is why that ainít no cracker jack ring."

Redsoil:
A couple of people thought one of our wedding songs in the church was a bit strange:

Plaisir D'amour

The joy of love is but a moment long;
The pain of love endures a whole life long.
Your eyes kissed mine; I saw the love in them shine;
You brought me heaven right then when your eyes kissed mine.
My love loves me, and all the wonders I see;
A rainbow shines in my window; my love loves me.
But now he's gone, like a dream that fades into dawn,
But the words stay locked in my heartstrings, "My love loves me."
The joy of love is but a moment long,
The pain of love endures a whole life long.

...and I suppose to some it would be a bit maudlin.  However, it was an acknowledgement that love isn't just sunshine and roses, that marriage was about the pain of love, and enduring, as well.  Plus, we'd had a long-distance relationship for the first year, so knew the pain of missing someone when they were away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version