Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 92054 times)

JoanOfArc

Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »
I was astonished that Sting's 'Every Breath You Take' wasn't on the list.

For a while it was a very popular wedding song, and Sting himself was amazed by this. Not only is it a post break-up song, it's about a stalker!

That song has always creeped me out.  If I heard it at a wedding, I would be wondering what the heck the happy couple was thinking! 

Joan
Chicken-keeper, welder, artist, student and lover of all things literary.

Asharah

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 04:43:52 PM »

For a while it was a very popular wedding song, and Sting himself was amazed by this. Not only is it a post break-up song, it's about a stalker!

That song has always creeped me out.  If I heard it at a wedding, I would be wondering what the heck the happy couple was thinking!  

Joan
It was the favorite song of Brooke's stalker, Harold, on All My Children when it first came out.
Asharah

Snowy Owl

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 04:47:05 PM »

Yes, I totally agree.  The song is about doing what you like and not comforming to society's roles.  Of course, originally the song was in the first person

I'd definitely agree with Two Ravens, I love that song because it's about a woman not conforming and making her own choices.

While some songs have lyrics that don't associate themselves instinctively with weddings, I think musical choice is a personal thing and the lyrics aren't always the most important thing to the couple.  
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 04:50:20 PM »
STBXH and I had our wedding dance to Chuck Berry's "You Never Can Tell."

And yes, we twisted.
Words mean things.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »

Kneel down ye sinners, to
Streetwise religion
Greed's been crowned the new King
Hollywood's dream teens
Yesterday's trash queens
Save the blessings for the final ring-
AMEN

Take a ride on the wild side
Wild side

I carry my crucifix
Under my death list
Forward my mail to me in hell
Liars and the martyrs
Lost faith in The Father
Long lost in the wishing well

etc.

That is how "Wild Side" starts off. I know someone who used it as the song the wedding party processional when they entered the reception hall. It was a bit odd to hear Motley Crue singing about Papa being found dead with his best friend's wife, especially while her teenaged daughter entered the hall. Not wrong ... but definitely a bit odd.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »

Yes, I totally agree.  The song is about doing what you like and not comforming to society's roles.  Of course, originally the song was in the first person

I'd definitely agree with Two Ravens, I love that song because it's about a woman not conforming and making her own choices.

I agree with this.  I wouldn't have a problem with The Lady is a Tramp.  It's about why people call her a tramp (for not conforming), not that she is one.  According to Wikipedia, it is a "sophisticated and witty spoof of New York high society."

She gets too hungry for dinner at eight
She loves the theater, but never comes late
She never bothers with people she hates
That's why the lady is a tramp

It makes me think of a strong, independent woman, not a floozy.

Edited: Yes, it does refer to women as "broads."  What do you want for a song written in 1937?

I agree with the LW's other songs, though.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:05:53 PM by artk2002 »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

TylerBelle

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »
I say cut through the middle man and have a song that will leave no doubt with any one at a wedding reception as to its appropriateness, or should I say, inappropriateness, hee. Such as Elvis' Hound Dog, Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake, or Bonnie Raitt's Have a Heart (any song that begins with "Hey, shut up" is worth considering ;)).
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 07:02:14 PM »
I say cut through the middle man and have a song that will leave no doubt with any one at a wedding reception as to its appropriateness, or should I say, inappropriateness, hee. Such as Elvis' Hound Dog, Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake, or Bonnie Raitt's Have a Heart (any song that begins with "Hey, shut up" is worth considering ;)).

I suppose Hit The Road, Jack would be a bad choice...

Asharah

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 07:49:52 PM »
Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover  ;D
Asharah

jenny_islander

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 08:30:57 PM »
"Sister Golden Hair" by America.  It's about a man who doesn't show up to his own wedding because he is depressed about an old girlfriend  . . . someone who he hasn't bothered to contact in a long time.  So he tracks her down, shows up on her doorstep, and says that since he has confessed that he is still thinking about her (although he hasn't made it easy for her to find him), won't she meet him halfway by providing a little scrabble?  Oh, and while he isn't ready to get married, "the woman" he jilted is sometimes somebody he would consider a friend.

The only worse choice I can think of that isn't actually obscene is "This One Goes Out to the One I Love" by R.E.M.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »

That was my first thought. A lot of people use this song because they think it's romantic. It's not romantic at all, but if they're happy then it's all good.

I love "Send in the Clowns" but I thought it was about the end of someone's career for some reason.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Bluenomi

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 11:12:55 PM »
We had The Killer's version of Romeo and Juliet as part of our frist dance which isn't really appropiate but we love the song and it's kind of romantic  :) It did get edited together with In These Arms by Bon Jovi which is fine and Blame it on the Boogie by the Jackson 5 which isn't  ;D

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 11:19:37 PM »
Well, our entrance was to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" so I'm not going to judge.  ;D
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 12:00:06 PM »

I suppose Hit The Road, Jack would be a bad choice...

Macarena- the girl who's cheating on her BF and sleeping around...
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Wavicle

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »

That one bugs me. I am 100% fine with it if you know that it is an odd song choice but just like it or it has special meaning, but just hearing parts of it and deciding it sounds nice while ignoring the actual lyrics just makes you look bad even if it should be a minor thing

They played that recent cover of song over the intercom at my high school when a girl died . Everyone was crying, and all I could think was "This tragedy is being associated with a song about stalkers because some teenaged girls only heard 'I'll be watching you". They were grieving an 15, but my mom (who works at my old HS) and I could not understand why an adult didn't pick up on it and let them know they may want to pick something else