Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 88340 times)

Wavicle

Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »
I was astonished that Sting's 'Every Breath You Take' wasn't on the list.

For a while it was a very popular wedding song, and Sting himself was amazed by this. Not only is it a post break-up song, it's about a stalker!

That one bugs me. I am 100% fine with it if you know that it is an odd song choice but just like it or it has special meaning, but just hearing parts of it and deciding it sounds nice while ignoring the actual lyrics just makes you look bad even if it should be a minor thing

They played that recent cover of song over the intercom at my high school when a girl died . Everyone was crying, and all I could think was "This tragedy is being associated with a song about stalkers because some teenaged girls only heard 'I'll be watching you". They were grieving an 15, but my mom (who works at my old HS) and I could not understand why an adult didn't pick up on it and let them know they may want to pick something else

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »
I say cut through the middle man and have a song that will leave no doubt with any one at a wedding reception as to its appropriateness, or should I say, inappropriateness, hee. Such as Elvis' Hound Dog, Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake, or Bonnie Raitt's Have a Heart (any song that begins with "Hey, shut up" is worth considering ;)).

I suppose Hit The Road, Jack would be a bad choice...

Macarena- the girl who's cheating on her BF and sleeping around...
The Macarena? Please tell me that this wedding took place in the 1990s. More importantly though, did they do the Macarena.

;)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 11:10:04 AM »

For a while it was a very popular wedding song, and Sting himself was amazed by this. Not only is it a post break-up song, it's about a stalker!

That one bugs me. I am 100% fine with it if you know that it is an odd song choice but just like it or it has special meaning, but just hearing parts of it and deciding it sounds nice while ignoring the actual lyrics just makes you look bad even if it should be a minor thing

They played that recent cover of song over the intercom at my high school when a girl died . Everyone was crying, and all I could think was "This tragedy is being associated with a song about stalkers because some teenaged girls only heard 'I'll be watching you". They were grieving an 15, but my mom (who works at my old HS) and I could not understand why an adult didn't pick up on it and let them know they may want to pick something else

I don't have a problem with the use of this one as a tribute to someone who is deceased.  That's exactly what the cover was done to be, and they changed several of the lyrics to reflect that; in fact, it's not "I'll be watching you" -- it's "I'll be missing you", which is completely appropriate.  The only thing the two songs really have in common is the tune of the chorus.

Some lyrics:

"Words can't express what you mean to me
Even though you're gone
We still a team..."

"In the future can't wait to see
If you'll open up the gates for me
Reminisce sometime
The night they took my friend
Try to black it out but it plays again
When it's real feelings' hard to conceal
Can't imagine all the pain I feel
Give anything to hear half your breath
I know you still livin' your life after death..."

"Thinking of the day
When you went away
What a life to take
What a bond to break
I'll be missing you..."

Wavicle

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »

I don't have a problem with the use of this one as a tribute to someone who is deceased.  That's exactly what the cover was done to be, and they changed several of the lyrics to reflect that; in fact, it's not "I'll be watching you" -- it's "I'll be missing you", which is completely appropriate.  The only thing the two songs really have in common is the tune of the chorus.

Some lyrics:

"Words can't express what you mean to me
Even though you're gone
We still a team..."

"In the future can't wait to see
If you'll open up the gates for me
Reminisce sometime
The night they took my friend
Try to black it out but it plays again
When it's real feelings' hard to conceal
Can't imagine all the pain I feel
Give anything to hear half your breath
I know you still livin' your life after death..."

"Thinking of the day
When you went away
What a life to take
What a bond to break
I'll be missing you..."

I thought it had been I'll be missing you, and when I looked up the lyrics I got the Sting version so whoops on me for not checking  :-[. Thank you for that correction. I still think it was a little odd, since it still made my mom and I think of the original. But that is much more appropriate.

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »
Honestly, I get a little bit up in arms when people criticize the HC's choice of music. Yes, I know that Time Of Your Life is about suicide and I Will Always Love You is about an affair and My Heart Will Go On is about moving on, but a) perhaps that song holds special meaning to the couple regardless of the song writer's meaning and b) the First Dance is just that- the first dance as a married couple. It doesn't have to be a romantic song. My DH and I listened to the lyrics of our songs and chose that way, but there are many instances where the HC chooses "inappropriate" songs because they just like them. Why is that wrong?

I Will Always Love You was written by Dolly Parton to her business partner Porter Wagoner, when the two split over differences.
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 01:36:22 PM »
I read a story on a wedding website that dropped my jaw.

A woman was writing in about attending her father's second wedding. Their first dance? "Lips of an Angel". Makes you wonder about the courtship......

*I have to admit, I love that song....but not as a first dance at my wedding!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Sleepingmediocre

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »
(Says the woman who wants Jonathan Coulton's 'Still Alive' at her wedding/civil partnership. 8) [Hey, just because I am lacking in an SO at present doesn't mean I can't consider these things. Remind me to add 'Portal fan: desirable' to the hypothetical personals ad. ;) ])

Hey, I can think of a LOT worse sentiments to have at a wedding than "This was a triumph/I'm making a note here:  HUGE SUCCESS."   ;D

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »
(Says the woman who wants Jonathan Coulton's 'Still Alive' at her wedding/civil partnership. 8) [Hey, just because I am lacking in an SO at present doesn't mean I can't consider these things. Remind me to add 'Portal fan: desirable' to the hypothetical personals ad. ;) ])

Hey, I can think of a LOT worse sentiments to have at a wedding than "This was a triumph/I'm making a note here:  HUGE SUCCESS."   ;D

"It's hard to overstate my satisfaction!"

Actually I think it'd be a great song  :D And nice counter the doom and gloom marriage-is-death groomsman you might have to deal with!

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2009, 04:38:31 PM »

"It's hard to overstate my satisfaction!"

Actually I think it'd be a great song  :D And nice counter the doom and gloom marriage-is-death groomsman you might have to deal with!
I just hope that the cake is not a lie. :)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 05:42:07 PM »
Honestly, I get a little bit up in arms when people criticize the HC's choice of music. Yes, I know that Time Of Your Life is about suicide
I always heard it was about a breakup!

Sleepingmediocre

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2009, 07:41:39 PM »
I just hope that the cake is not a lie. :)

*snerk*   ;D

hjaye

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
I went to the wedding of a friends daughter, the processional walked out of the church to the tune of Bob Seegers "We've got tonight"

Words and music by bob seger

I know its late, I know youre weary
I know your plans dont include me
Still here we are, both of us lonely
Longing for shelter from all that we see
Why should we worry, no one will care girl
Look at the stars so far away
Weve got tonight, who needs tomorrow?
Weve got tonight babe
Why don t we stay?

Deep in my soul, Ive been so lonely
All of my hopes, fading away
Ive longed for love, like everyone else does
I know Ill keep searching, after today
So there it is girl, Ive got it all now
And here we are babe, what do you say?
Weve got tonight babe
Why dont we stay?

I know its late, I know youre weary
I know your plans dont include me
Still here we are, both of us lonely
Both of us lonely

Lets make it last, lets find a way
Turn off the light, come take my hand now
Weve got tonight babe
Why dont we stay?
Weve got tonight babe
Why dont we stay?

half_dollars

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 02:37:06 PM »
Our recessional was to "Happy Together" by the Turtles.  One of the greatest songs, IMHO!!!  :-)

But, we did Decide our first dance based on the words of the song.  However, I always questioned the song my MIL chose for the mother/son dance-"The Rose".  DH didn't understand why she wanted that one, either, but decided to let her have her wish.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 02:43:01 PM »
Our recessional was to "Happy Together" by the Turtles.  One of the greatest songs, IMHO!!!  :-)

But, we did Decide our first dance based on the words of the song.  However, I always questioned the song my MIL chose for the mother/son dance-"The Rose".  DH didn't understand why she wanted that one, either, but decided to let her have her wish.

I'd find that odd for two reasons. One, while I adore the song it's just pure schlocky glurge. Two, it's kinda not the vibe I'd want to dance with my kids with. Then again, I admit can't think of many slower dance type songs that aren't either romantic or depressing as heck.

twinkletoes

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2009, 02:47:48 PM »
I'm fine with a couple picking a song that has meaning to them (My DH and I both LOVE the Naked Gun movies.  We originally wanted our first dance to be "Ding Dong, the witch is dead," but as my aunt had died not too long before our wedding, I was afraid it would have looked so inappropriate!).

But yeah, I think a lot of songs are picked because they have words like 'wedding' or 'love' in the titles, and it's just weird.