Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 88319 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 08:46:09 AM »
I say cut through the middle man and have a song that will leave no doubt with any one at a wedding reception as to its appropriateness, or should I say, inappropriateness, hee. Such as Elvis' Hound Dog, Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake, or Bonnie Raitt's Have a Heart (any song that begins with "Hey, shut up" is worth considering ;)).

I suppose Hit The Road, Jack would be a bad choice...

Macarena- the girl who's cheating on her BF and sleeping around...
The Macarena? Please tell me that this wedding took place in the 1990s. More importantly though, did they do the Macarena.

;)

I'm sure somebody did use this.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

matf

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »
I've always been amused at the inappropriate songs that are played during the reception (NOT the wedding ceremony).

I've heard:

I Will Survive
It's Raining Men
Paradise by the Dashboard Light

And a bilingual bonus: Often they'll play a song in Hebrew called "Od Lo Ahavti Dai" -- which is about how the singer isn't ready to get married because they haven't loved enough women.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 01:32:16 PM »
My grandmother informed me that she nearly fell out of the pew laughing when she heard the songs I'd chosen for the "pre-processional" music.  It was a bunch of songs from Singing in the Rain and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  Apparently hearing "Bless Yore Beautiful Hide" (even without the lyrics) was a bit startling...

Bless your beautiful hide, wherever you may be
We ain't met yet but I'm a-willing to bet
You're the gal for me

Bless your beautiful hide
You're just as good as lost
I don't know your name but I'm a-stakin' my claim
Lest your eyes is crossed

Our first dance was "Earth Angel", which could be construed as a bit inappropriate, as it's about a guy begging a girl to notice him, but it was the first song we ever danced to, and I knew I was lost when DH started singing it to me. 

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »
I thought it was "Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing and could not get why it was wrong for a wedding!
I looked it up and saw it was "Time of Your Life" and realized my error. 
 ::)

My uncle's 3rd wife walked down the aise to, "Tonight, I celebrate my love for you...."
but the tape was old and someone finally turned up the volume right at, "When I make love to you!"

The wedding was in Granny's house, with all sorts of kidlets around.  there was snickering...
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

peachykeen

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
I'll never forget the wedding I attended in the early '80's. While the couple stood at the alter and stared into each other's eyes a soloist sang Never Before Never Again from the Muppet Movie. The song has beautiful romantic lyrics but I had small children at the time and all I could think of was Miss Piggy singing to Kermit. My husband and I were trying hard not to laugh.

At a college friend's wedding the pre-processional organ music featured Wedding Bell Blues (Yes, she was marrying a man named Bill)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 12:55:36 PM »

An old friend (jokingly!) suggested that for DH's and my first dance. Her reasoning: "If you really want to be unique..."

We went with "It Had To Be You" by Harry Connick Jr.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2009, 02:47:47 PM »

An old friend (jokingly!) suggested that for DH's and my first dance. Her reasoning: "If you really want to be unique..."

Use "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad"...I read about a woman who's boyfriend showed up on their anniversary with candy, flowers, tux and all and serenaded her with that song. Oops!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »

I let my husband sing this with another woman at our reception. 

But, that was because it was a long-standing joke that it's "their" karaoke song.  ;) 

As for judging the songs used.... I'll talk about it with DH, and I'll talk about it here, but I would never say anything to the HC.  It's their business what they chose and why they chose it.

FWIW, our first dance was to "Time In A Bottle", and it was very much based on the lyrics.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2009, 03:12:44 PM »

Use "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad"...I read about a woman who's boyfriend showed up on their anniversary with candy, flowers, tux and all and serenaded her with that song. Oops!

Full points for honesty!

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »

FWIW, our first dance was to "Time In A Bottle", and it was very much based on the lyrics.

I used this song in my wedding too!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »

Full points for honesty!
Well, I for one enjoy the prevalence of Meat Loaf at weddings.  8)

Though it would be a bit depressing, but still totally epic, if "Bat Out of Hell" was the couple's first dance song.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2009, 06:37:38 PM »
Thanks to the surprise by my DH, we had a medley

Eric Clapton "You Were Wonderful Tonight" - DH said it always reminded him of me
AC/DC "She Shook Me All Night Long" - first song we danced to, and a look of horror on my face as the first strings started and I realized what was coming... thankfully, he kept it at a few bars
Frank Sinatra - The Way you Look Tonight" - DH said it was the way he thought he always remember our wedding.

Hard to beleive its been 16 years.  I can still feel the blush creeping up when the band started with AC/DC...

Sleepingmediocre

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2009, 11:08:13 PM »
I'll never forget the wedding I attended in the early '80's. While the couple stood at the alter and stared into each other's eyes a soloist sang Never Before Never Again from the Muppet Movie.

My sister is getting married next weekend, and she is going to have to pay me GOOD MONEY not to convince the DJ to play the "Somebody's Getting Married" song from Muppets Take Manhattan at the reception.   >:D

peachykeen

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2009, 11:20:10 AM »
Oh, that would be great. I'd forgotten about that Muppet song. Hope your sister likes it.

Germane Jackson

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »
My friend's tacky wedding was tacky through and through..the HC's song was 'Fooled Around And Fell In Love'. Talk about totally tasteless. Why not just tell all 150 guests that you guys slept around with lots of partners before deciding to stick with each other??

In more recent times, the wedding song that annoys me most is 'You're Beautiful' by James Blunt. He's singing about a stranger on a bus he will never have a chance with, so I'll never know why HC's pick this song for their wedding.