Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 91459 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2009, 02:07:04 PM »
A good friend of mine's recessional music was the theme from the Pink Panther. First the happy couple and then the groomsmen and bridesmaids moved down the aisle in step to the music. Finally, after they were all gone, the minister bopped down the aisle his own self, shaking his index finger like a dancer from the 1920s. It was hilarious.

Of course, this was the friend who cut the cake to the theme from Psycho, so you kind of have to get her sense of humor . . .

Rob aka Mediancat
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:10:51 PM by Mediancat »
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Dixie Darlin

« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2009, 02:07:30 PM »
I had to laugh as I read this thread, when my brother got married he and my mom danced to Hit the Road Jack (picked by the DJ, a very good friend of his) and I recently attended a wedding where the processional for the bride was the Muppet's Somebody's Getting Married... we all agreed it was the best wedding music ever! 

Those are both hilarious/awesome choices!

"I'm a Southern woman and all that implies." -Calleigh Duquesne, CSI Miami

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
I agree with whoever said they'd rather not criticize the HC's choice. When my brother got married, he and my SIL chose a Smashing Pumpkins song for their first dance. Brother said, "I know the lyrics don't really fit but we like the melody." The parent dance was Fishing in the Dark because the HC figured a simple two step would be easy for two parents who aren't into dancing much.

Sleepingmediocre

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2009, 11:00:39 PM »
I had to laugh as I read this thread, when my brother got married he and my mom danced to Hit the Road Jack (picked by the DJ, a very good friend of his) and I recently attended a wedding where the processional for the bride was the Muppet's Somebody's Getting Married... we all agreed it was the best wedding music ever! 
Somebody's Getting Married is fantastic! I'm going to post this on Facebook so my friends can see it; one of our friends is getting married. ;D

I tried very hard to get a copy of that to play at my sister's wedding last weekend, but couldn't find it anywhere.   :(  They did dance to the Barenaked Ladies' "If I Had $1,000,000," though, which is a great love song for couples with a sense of humor.

LeeLieLow

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2009, 02:55:57 PM »
It has been more than 25 years ago that I attended a wedding where the HC 's first dance was to
Then you can tell me goodbye. I remember being very suprised they choose this song.

Kiss me each morning for a million years, Hold me each evening by your side, Tell me you love me for a million years, Then if it don't work out, If it don't work out, Then you can tell me goodbye

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2009, 03:27:09 PM »
DF and I are going to use "So Happy Together" from The Turtles.

(snip)

I feel it's a really cute song. It's not really slow and romantic, so we will probably have to practise a bit before we are able to pull this off :)

I want that as my "daddy daughter" dance.... because its the first song my father taught me to play on the guitar.

(I was a huge Turtles fan as a little girl)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Paper Roses

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2009, 03:34:59 PM »
I can think of several couples I know for whom "Saturday Night's Allright For Fighting" wouldn't have been entirely inappropriate.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

librarianinhell

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »
I want Black Celebration for my wedding (if I ever get married).  I love the lyrics, and they are about love.  I doubt any of the relatives would be put out, since my relatives only show up to receptions, never to weddings.  Oddly enough, they do show up to funerals.

Elessarion

• As I swam ashore, I dried myself to save time.
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2009, 11:21:03 AM »
Eh, BF and I are not exactly *traditional* in our views on romance - I totally want our first dance to be to "Happy to Be Stuck With You" by Huey Lewis! The lyrics are pretty well appropriate for us, it's fun and upbeat to dance to and it's not sickly sappiness (which is just not to our taste)

If I fail to get BF to agree to that, I think I'll need to pick an Elvis song - one of our favourite artists and probably my favourite voice ever. Again, stick with something not too slushy though.

mmmchocolate

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »
I know it's not a wedding song, but please tell me why people play this at funerals?  I really don't get it.

Spend all your time waiting for that second chance
For the break that will make it OK
There's always some reason to feel not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction or a beautiful release
Memories seep from my veins
Let me be empty and weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight

In the arms of the Angel far away from here
From this dark, cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie
You're in the arms of the Angel; may you find some comfort here

So tired of the straight line, and everywhere you turn
There's vultures and thieves at your back
The storm keeps on twisting, you keep on building the lies
That you make up for all that you lack
It don't make no difference, escaping one last time
It's easier to believe
In this sweet madness, oh this glorious sadness
That brings me to my knees

In the arms of the Angel; may you find some comfort here

Is the only part they hear about being in the arms of an angel?

Asharah

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2009, 07:39:20 PM »
I know it's not a wedding song, but please tell me why people play this at funerals?  I really don't get it.

Spend all your time waiting for that second chance
For the break that will make it OK
There's always some reason to feel not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction or a beautiful release
Memories seep from my veins
Let me be empty and weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight

So tired of the straight line, and everywhere you turn
There's vultures and thieves at your back
The storm keeps on twisting, you keep on building the lies
That you make up for all that you lack
It don't make no difference, escaping one last time
It's easier to believe
In this sweet madness, oh this glorious sadness
That brings me to my knees

In the arms of the Angel; may you find some comfort here

Is the only part they hear about being in the arms of an angel?

That's the part they played on Entertainment Tonight for JFK JR.
Asharah

Nightboomfer

• Dood!
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2009, 09:10:01 PM »

(Says the woman who wants Jonathan Coulton's 'Still Alive' at her wedding/civil partnership. 8) [Hey, just because I am lacking in an SO at present doesn't mean I can't consider these things. Remind me to add 'Portal fan: desirable' to the hypothetical personals ad. ;) ])

I'm half tempted to propose to you right now based on this fact alone :P

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange.
http://nightboomfer.deviantart.com/

MsCynical

« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2009, 06:54:30 PM »
I didn't have a play list at my wedding besides the first dance, so the DJ played what he wanted.  For some reason he played Reba McEntire's song, "Take it Back," which is a song about a woman breaking up her cheating boyfriend (http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/reba-mcentire/take-it-back-8132.html).  The music video is of her as lawyer presumably at the divorce proceedings.  Not really wedding-appropriate.  Neither myself nor my husband requested this (as far as I know the DJ wasn't even taking requests), so I guess the DJ just didn't realize what it was about when he decided to play it.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »
Recently I saw a video of a wedding where the BGM was Sara Bareilles' "One Sweet Love"

While most of the lyrics may be okay, it mentions one word that not only is inappropriate to mention in a love song or put in a wedding video, but that can be (and is) a trigger to many people.
I have pet mice!

deederange

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2009, 10:20:35 PM »
Wow, been ages since I've been in here in the forums, but I had to reply to this one. Music is a huge part of my life, and I can completely understand that what is appropriate for one couple isn't for all... For example, at our wedding, after the officiant pronounced us husband and wife, we had The Simpsons theme song played (my DH's last name is Simpson) then immediately after, we had Spongebob Squarepants "It's The Best Day, Ever".  That's just who we are :-)