Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 82637 times)

deederange

Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2009, 10:20:35 PM »
Wow, been ages since I've been in here in the forums, but I had to reply to this one. Music is a huge part of my life, and I can completely understand that what is appropriate for one couple isn't for all... For example, at our wedding, after the officiant pronounced us husband and wife, we had The Simpsons theme song played (my DH's last name is Simpson) then immediately after, we had Spongebob Squarepants "It's The Best Day, Ever".  That's just who we are :-)

kglory

« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2009, 03:44:02 AM »
I know it's not a wedding song, but please tell me why people play this at funerals?  I really don't get it.

Spend all your time waiting for that second chance
For the break that will make it OK
There's always some reason to feel not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction or a beautiful release
Memories seep from my veins
Let me be empty and weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight

In the arms of the Angel far away from here
From this dark, cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie
You're in the arms of the Angel; may you find some comfort here

So tired of the straight line, and everywhere you turn
There's vultures and thieves at your back
The storm keeps on twisting, you keep on building the lies
That you make up for all that you lack
It don't make no difference, escaping one last time
It's easier to believe
In this sweet madness, oh this glorious sadness
That brings me to my knees

In the arms of the Angel; may you find some comfort here

Is the only part they hear about being in the arms of an angel?

I love Sarah McLachlan, love this song, and find it very fitting for a funeral.

I'm curious actually why you think it's not suitable?  Because it says "hotel room"?  To me, the song is about grief and loss - it doesn't even say romantic loss or "love" lost anywhere in there.  I can see this song honoring a deceased friend, child, or even the loss of a dream.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2009, 04:14:03 AM »
I always thought it was about shooting up or coke or something.

Hmmmm.  I think my art teacher might have been one something when he explained that.  Actually, he always was...

:goes off to ponder lyrical meanings:
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Bethczar

« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2009, 11:37:44 AM »

Hmmmm.  I think my art teacher might have been one something when he explained that.  Actually, he always was...

Heroin, actually

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2009, 08:20:52 AM »
Recently I saw a video of a wedding where the BGM was Sara Bareilles' "One Sweet Love"

While most of the lyrics may be okay, it mentions one word that not only is inappropriate to mention in a love song or put in a wedding video, but that can be (and is) a trigger to many people.

I've never heard the song, but I just looked up the lyrics, and the whole song seems a little strange for a wedding...

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2009, 01:38:53 AM »

Heroin, actually

Thats what I meant by shooting up... couldn't remember if it was coke or heroin.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

mmmchocolate

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »
I know it's not a wedding song, but please tell me why people play this at funerals?  I really don't get it.

Spend all your time waiting for that second chance
For the break that will make it OK
There's always some reason to feel not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction or a beautiful release
Memories seep from my veins
Let me be empty and weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight

So tired of the straight line, and everywhere you turn
There's vultures and thieves at your back
The storm keeps on twisting, you keep on building the lies
That you make up for all that you lack
It don't make no difference, escaping one last time
It's easier to believe
In this sweet madness, oh this glorious sadness
That brings me to my knees

In the arms of the Angel; may you find some comfort here

Is the only part they hear about being in the arms of an angel?

I love Sarah McLachlan, love this song, and find it very fitting for a funeral.

I'm curious actually why you think it's not suitable?  Because it says "hotel room"?  To me, the song is about grief and loss - it doesn't even say romantic loss or "love" lost anywhere in there.  I can see this song honoring a deceased friend, child, or even the loss of a dream.

I don't think it's suitable because it's not about honoring anything-it's about escaping your problems by shooting heroin into your veins.  Vultures and theives at your back?   Not appropriate for for a funeral at all IMO.  I do really like the song though-she has a beautiful voice and the song is very haunting.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2009, 08:53:55 AM »

(Says the woman who wants Jonathan Coulton's 'Still Alive' at her wedding/civil partnership. 8) [Hey, just because I am lacking in an SO at present doesn't mean I can't consider these things. Remind me to add 'Portal fan: desirable' to the hypothetical personals ad. ;) ])
I'm half tempted to propose to you right now based on this fact alone :P

Well, I'm free this Saturday... >:D ;)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2009, 07:55:54 AM »
Just because the song was dedicated to someone who died of a drug overdose does NOT automatically mean that the song is about doing drugs, much less about glamorizing them.

Having said that, I do not think it is suitable for a wedding. Funeral, perhaps.
I have pet mice!

ccpb1214

« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »
So Iím guessing Closer by Nine Inch Nails would also be a bad choice for anything having to do with a special event, then?
(Donít get me wrong, good song, but not quite right.)

Bethczar

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »
Just because the song was dedicated to someone who died of a drug overdose does NOT automatically mean that the song is about doing drugs, much less about glamorizing them.

Having said that, I do not think it is suitable for a wedding. Funeral, perhaps.
I didn't know it was dedicated to anyone. Still, the first time I heard it I automatically thought of drugs. I don't see how you can read anything other than self-destruction into that song.

Just my opinion, though.

Corbin

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »
So Iím guessing Closer by Nine Inch Nails would also be a bad choice for anything having to do with a special event, then?

Oh come on! That would be the greatest recessional song ever!!  >:D  Kidding kidding!

The shortest relationship I ever had lasted 20 minuets...I was a freshman in high school and a guy I liked asked me out at the rollerskating rink. I was over the moon, until a song dedication came on, from him, to me. It was a little early in the relationship for that, and I pretty much ran. Ok, I literally ran.
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Luna_Moon

« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2009, 10:09:02 AM »

We didn't have any music at our wedding because I just couldn't convince then-DF that Closer and Neon were NOT wedding appropriate, and people DON'T need to know that we were listening to them at sentimental moments in our relationship. Snicker.

DannysGirl

• Keeper of Jedi Holocrons
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2009, 09:34:34 PM »
     Another "Muppets" fan, here!  I love "Somebody's Getting Married!"  I woke up with that song in my head the morning of my wedding.  I thought about using the song, but it didn't fit in the ceremony anywhere.  I also thought about using "He'll Make Me Happy."  It's the song Kermit and Piggy sing to each other at their wedding.   
     My dad took me to see The Muppet Movie when it first came out.  I was around six.  I remember feeling so special because it was just my dad and me, so I used "Rainbow Connection" for my Daddy/Daughter dance.
     DH and I used Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open the Door" as our first dance song.  It was the slower, longer version, not the version used in the Adam Sandler movie, Mr. Deeds.

wendelenn

« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2009, 01:12:56 AM »
     Another "Muppets" fan, here!  I love "Somebody's Getting Married!"  I woke up with that song in my head the morning of my wedding.  I thought about using the song, but it didn't fit in the ceremony anywhere.  I also thought about using "He'll Make Me Happy."  It's the song Kermit and Piggy sing to each other at their wedding.   
     My dad took me to see The Muppet Movie when it first came out.  I was around six.  I remember feeling so special because it was just my dad and me, so I used "Rainbow Connection" for my Daddy/Daughter dance.
     DH and I used Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open the Door" as our first dance song.  It was the slower, longer version, not the version used in the Adam Sandler movie, Mr. Deeds.

How about "Never Before and Never Again" from the Muppet Movie?  Another cute one.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."