News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 27, 2016, 03:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 106183 times)

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2010, 10:54:22 AM »
Worst wedding song ever?

"Love for Sale" by Cole Porter.
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »
WE used "Fall for You" as our enterance sone, and I wonder if people noticed the first line "Best thing about tonight is we're not fighting" ;D

Ha! I love it! That is superb!

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »
We had "You're the Inspiration" by Chicago as our first dance.  Don't laugh, it was the 80s.  ;D

My husband and I had that as our first dance too.  It was the first song he played for me after he proposed, so it became "our song".

Hand up here.
It was not only "our song", our wedding dance was the first time we danced together.

Worst song, well, a bad, but extremely appropriate song: "Earl's gotta die".

We played it during the dance at my friend's wedding.
We'd spent the day wondering if her Exh would crash the wedding.

ExH is, thankfully, now in jail indefinitely after being declared a dangerous offender. He was convicted of murder after a woman's body was found in a bag in the back of his truck. He'd been driving around with her for a few days.

Yeah, we really didn't want him to crash the wedding...
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Corbin

« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2010, 12:39:27 PM »
We had "You're the Inspiration" by Chicago as our first dance.  Don't laugh, it was the 80s.  ;D

My husband and I had that as our first dance too.  It was the first song he played for me after he proposed, so it became "our song".

Hand up here.
It was not only "our song", our wedding dance was the first time we danced together.

Worst song, well, a bad, but extremely appropriate song: "Earl's gotta die".

We played it during the dance at my friend's wedding.
We'd spent the day wondering if her Exh would crash the wedding.

ExH is, thankfully, now in jail indefinitely after being declared a dangerous offender. He was convicted of murder after a woman's body was found in a bag in the back of his truck. He'd been driving around with her for a few days.

Yeah, we really didn't want him to crash the wedding...

:o I guess!
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

RoaringGirl

« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2010, 01:36:30 AM »
I swept down the aisle to Japanese drum and flute music!

Other than that, I really didn't get much input on the playlist (perhaps because The Future Mr. RoaringGirl was not impressed with the Japanese-drum-and-flute-music?).  ???  It was all just background music, in any case:  it was a small space doing double duty as wedding venue/reception hall, so there really wasn't room for anyone other than children to dance.  And there wasn't any agonizing about music for the first dance because 1) I abhor overt expressions of sentimentality (and anyway, I doubt we could have agreed on a song that wouldn't have horrified our families--really, Japanese anime theme music is NOT weird!  It just isn't!); and 2) one cannot dance in a wedding kimono.  One may stand in a wedding kimono; one may walk forward in a wedding kimono; one does not dance in a wedding kimono. 

One also sweats a great deal in a wedding kimono when one marries in the summer.  Pro tip to anyone considering a Japanese theme:  think winter months people, think winter months!!  ;D

Athos_000

• Cats.... The Perfect Protein?
    • kbaumanart.com
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2010, 04:07:13 PM »
Thinking about it... I know we played a lot of meatloaf at the wedding, though NOT for any special dances, much to Mr. A's great disappointment (I outlawed Paradise by the Dashboard Lights!). We also played Ring of Fire, and a really silly Irish drinking song about some guy whose wife is cheating on him, but he is so drunk she blames what he sees on his inebriation.

I admit to some sappiness.. My friend sang At Last for our first dance, and I played Father & Daughter by Paul Simon for my father-daughter dance. I don't remember what Mr. A picked for his mother-son dance, but it was probably something inappropriate haha.

iradney

• DoSWMBO
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »
I'm walking down the aisle to "It must be love" by Madness, our entrance song has been written for us (think Accidentally in love by Counting Crows kind of style), and our first dance is "little trip to heaven" by Tom Waits.
I really do want some Muppet music in our playlist, but alas, TTO has nixed that... :(
It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.
-Thomas Huxley

crella

« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
Heeheehee, I was at a wedding in Kobe a couple of years back. Japanese weddings are choreographed down to the last detail, nothing is left to chance. The venue was The Hotel Okura Kobe, very elegant. Lovely bride, handsome groom......they leave for one of their obligatory clothing changes, from western wedding wear to kimono and re-enter the room to the strains of......

'Beauty and the Beast'...I almost blew my champagne out my nose (but refrained of course). I doubt any of the other guests knew the lyrics and it was such a lovely instrumental.....I was dying, trying not to laugh. The bride and groom must have just thought I was overjoyed ( I was , but.....)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »
I remember hearing that when Joan Rivers' daughter got married, Joan spent a HUGE amount of money on the wedding, maybe even $1,000,000?  When Joan came down the aisle as MOB, the musicians played, "Hey Big Spender."

kingsrings

« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »
Yeah, for a marriage that wasn't long-lived.  ::)

Rosgrana

« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2010, 01:14:31 PM »
Thinking about it... I know we played a lot of meatloaf at the wedding, though NOT for any special dances, much to Mr. A's great disappointment (I outlawed Paradise by the Dashboard Lights!). We also played Ring of Fire, and a really silly Irish drinking song about some guy whose wife is cheating on him, but he is so drunk she blames what he sees on his inebriation.

Seven Drunken Nights? - And if so...

ALL of it? :o Most people wimp out and pretend to have forgotten Sunday!

BluePaint

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »
Heeheehee, I was at a wedding in Kobe a couple of years back. Japanese weddings are choreographed down to the last detail, nothing is left to chance. The venue was The Hotel Okura Kobe, very elegant. Lovely bride, handsome groom......they leave for one of their obligatory clothing changes, from western wedding wear to kimono and re-enter the room to the strains of......

'Beauty and the Beast'...I almost blew my champagne out my nose (but refrained of course). I doubt any of the other guests knew the lyrics and it was such a lovely instrumental.....I was dying, trying not to laugh. The bride and groom must have just thought I was overjoyed ( I was , but.....)

AHAHAHA One of my best friends from high school is a native English speaker and she not only did her first dance to this song (and not the classy instrumental version either!), but based the theme of her entire wedding around it.  I mean, the lyrics themselves were incredibly appropriate.  She and her now-husband had a grudging friendship that bloomed into a beautiful romance and it was all very lovely and romantic.  But my whole table was holding back laughter at the song title.

It didn't help at all that she's teeny tiny and her husband is something like 6'4" with a full beard.

Athos_000

• Cats.... The Perfect Protein?
    • kbaumanart.com
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2010, 03:54:28 PM »

Seven Drunken Nights? - And if so...

ALL of it? :o Most people wimp out and pretend to have forgotten Sunday!

LOL! Yes.. but.. I think the verson we played only went through friday.

cnhartman2

« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2010, 09:22:17 AM »
I had a friend who used Remember When as her dance with her dad. I always thought it was SUPER inappropriate! Especially the part when they are talking about the first time they played scrabble!

I've never heard this song, so I'm confused.  Is "Scrabble" supposed to me a euphemism?

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2010, 09:47:02 AM »
I had a friend who used Remember When as her dance with her dad. I always thought it was SUPER inappropriate! Especially the part when they are talking about the first time they played scrabble!

I've never heard this song, so I'm confused.  Is "Scrabble" supposed to me a euphemism?

"Scrabble" is a euphemism used on eHell.  It stands for intimate bedroom activities.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.