Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 86730 times)

Athos_000

• Cats.... The Perfect Protein?
    • kbaumanart.com
Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »
Thinking about it... I know we played a lot of meatloaf at the wedding, though NOT for any special dances, much to Mr. A's great disappointment (I outlawed Paradise by the Dashboard Lights!). We also played Ring of Fire, and a really silly Irish drinking song about some guy whose wife is cheating on him, but he is so drunk she blames what he sees on his inebriation.

Seven Drunken Nights? - And if so...

ALL of it? :o Most people wimp out and pretend to have forgotten Sunday!

LOL! Yes.. but.. I think the verson we played only went through friday.

cnhartman2

« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »
I had a friend who used Remember When as her dance with her dad. I always thought it was SUPER inappropriate! Especially the part when they are talking about the first time they played scrabble!

I've never heard this song, so I'm confused.  Is "Scrabble" supposed to me a euphemism?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2010, 10:47:02 AM »
I had a friend who used Remember When as her dance with her dad. I always thought it was SUPER inappropriate! Especially the part when they are talking about the first time they played scrabble!

I've never heard this song, so I'm confused.  Is "Scrabble" supposed to me a euphemism?

"Scrabble" is a euphemism used on eHell.  It stands for intimate bedroom activities.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »
Our choices were pretty standard. We chose a song we both like with a sweet meaning for the first dance (Blue Rodeo's "Lost Together which has lyrics like "And I want all the world to know/ that your love's all I need/ all that I need/ and if we're lost/ then we are lost together"). However I had a very unconventional father/daughter dance choice. My father is deceased, so I danced with his best friend instead (who gave me away) and we danced to "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who, which was a song very personal to my father and it was dedicated in my father's memory.

We allowed each of our wedding party to choose their own entrance. My 70 year-old aunt later did wonder if "Shook Me All Night Long" was the most appropriate choice for the BM and MOH, but I laughed it off and explained that as they are both huge AC/DC fans and that is their favourite song, it was appropriate (plus it's got special meaning for my MOH and I). Her reaction did make me glad that I'd talked another GM out of "Every Sperm is Sacred".

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2010, 01:15:19 PM »
I remember hearing that when Joan Rivers' daughter got married, Joan spent a HUGE amount of money on the wedding, maybe even $1,000,000?  When Joan came down the aisle as MOB, the musicians played, "Hey Big Spender."

IRRC, Joan planned it that way. I give her credit for laughing at herself.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2010, 03:02:10 PM »
My DH and I are from Arizona. Our 3rd date was the Refreshments last show in 1998. We follow Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers and got engaged at one of their shows New Years Eve 2003. The band was playing a song called “Better Beautiful than Perfect” when he proposed.

I love the song and it almost became our first dance. Good thing I listenem to the lyrics because the song went from romantic to homicidal in the second verse!

I am pretty sure it would have raised more than a few eyebrows. At least I was able to stop DH from adding another RCPM gem to the playlist.  I have a feeling “Bury My Heart at thd Trailer Park” might not have gone over that well either. 

We went with Amazed by Lonestar. I had Across the Universe played in lieu of a father daughter dance and asked fathers to dance with their daughters.

Little Jo

« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2010, 03:48:46 PM »
I know of a bride who chose "Tragedy" and had everyone dance it as she made her enterance.

Jan74

« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2010, 08:22:23 PM »
I just heard Lovesong by the Cure, which i quite like, but i can see a lot of people being funny about it just because its the Cure!!

It was written as a wedding gift to his wife, for a 20+ year relationship at that time. I say there pretty much can't be a better song, written by someone to his one true love. They've been together since they were 13.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »
I just heard Lovesong by the Cure, which i quite like, but i can see a lot of people being funny about it just because its the Cure!!

It was written as a wedding gift to his wife, for a 20+ year relationship at that time. I say there pretty much can't be a better song, written by someone to his one true love. They've been together since they were 13.

I did not know that! And it makes me love that song even more.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Jan74

« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »

Same here. Somehow someone writing about loving someone forever when you know that forever only lasted a month is not as poignant.

lovestoread

« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »

Same here. Somehow someone writing about loving someone forever when you know that forever only lasted a month is not as poignant.

Aww thats lovely!!  I remember reading an article that said it took him a long time to be able to sing it live, because it was such a personal song to him!

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

Jan74

« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »
I'm also in the camp that there is no problem playing any song on the dance floor of a wedding later, but yeah, if the first song is about cheating or something, that is a bit strange....

Lillie82

« Reply #162 on: December 19, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »
My youngest brother and his girlfriend, who have said for a long time that they were planning to get married, just got formally engaged, picking a date right after they graduate in 2012. "Their" song is "Smile" by Uncle Cracker. Obviously, a song about being in love: ("You make me dance like a fool, forget how to breathe...) and yet not an obvious wedding song because it's about the giddiness of love, perhaps new love, without bringing in the more serious aspect of commitment. And bro and FSIL are serious and mature about their commitment.

Jan74

« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2010, 03:17:52 PM »
My youngest brother and his girlfriend, who have said for a long time that they were planning to get married, just got formally engaged, picking a date right after they graduate in 2012. "Their" song is "Smile" by Uncle Cracker. Obviously, a song about being in love: ("You make me dance like a fool, forget how to breathe...) and yet not an obvious wedding song because it's about the giddiness of love, perhaps new love, without bringing in the more serious aspect of commitment. And bro and FSIL are serious and mature about their commitment.

After reading this thread, as long as the song is not about cheating, death, or breaking up, it is a great song as far as I'm concerned.  ;D

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »
When I was in high school, I played the piano well enough to do wedding, funerals, etc. A few times, I did some of the music at the reception and/or cocktail hour.

I had a couple that could NOT understand why I had concerned about playing Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You". It's about two people that can't be together - why would you want your first dance together to be about that?
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine