Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 88227 times)

Anastriel

Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2011, 08:19:48 PM »
I have friends that walked out of the church to "I've got a feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas. For anyone that hasn't heard the song, the lyrics are "I gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night."

The bride and groom were quite open about waiting until the wedding night, but I thought it was a little inappropriate.

Jan74

« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
I have friends that walked out of the church to "I've got a feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas. For anyone that hasn't heard the song, the lyrics are "I gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night."

The bride and groom were quite open about waiting until the wedding night, but I thought it was a little inappropriate.

Yeah that one is a little TMI.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »
My youngest brother and his girlfriend, who have said for a long time that they were planning to get married, just got formally engaged, picking a date right after they graduate in 2012. "Their" song is "Smile" by Uncle Cracker. Obviously, a song about being in love: ("You make me dance like a fool, forget how to breathe...) and yet not an obvious wedding song because it's about the giddiness of love, perhaps new love, without bringing in the more serious aspect of commitment. And bro and FSIL are serious and mature about their commitment.

After reading this thread, as long as the song is not about cheating, death, or breaking up, it is a great song as far as I'm concerned.  ;D

As Freud might have said, sometimes a song is just a song, not a statement about the relationship of the couple.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Jan74

« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
My youngest brother and his girlfriend, who have said for a long time that they were planning to get married, just got formally engaged, picking a date right after they graduate in 2012. "Their" song is "Smile" by Uncle Cracker. Obviously, a song about being in love: ("You make me dance like a fool, forget how to breathe...) and yet not an obvious wedding song because it's about the giddiness of love, perhaps new love, without bringing in the more serious aspect of commitment. And bro and FSIL are serious and mature about their commitment.

After reading this thread, as long as the song is not about cheating, death, or breaking up, it is a great song as far as I'm concerned.  ;D

As Freud might have said, sometimes a song is just a song, not a statement about the relationship of the couple.

Oh it might be just a song to them. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is. But we have to spend the whole 5m forcing a smile and stifling laughter.

It is unkind to your guests. It is like having an officiant with the anxiety disorder Mr. Bean had in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" - you might be ok with it, but it is hard on the guests...  >:D

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2011, 06:40:37 PM »

It is unkind to your guests. It is like having an officiant with the anxiety disorder Mr. Bean had in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" - you might be ok with it, but it is hard on the guests...  >:D

"...in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spigot..."   :D

I do love Rowan Atkinson!   :)

Jan74

« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »

"...in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spigot..."   :D

I do love Rowan Atkinson!   :)

Yes!  ;D

channa17

« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2011, 09:36:05 AM »
Our wedding processional was "The Butterfly Lovers" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Qx9saG45I) - though as our processional it was arranged for solo flute by our friend, who also played it. 

It's concerto based on a Chinese opera that has been compared to Romeo and Juliet. In the opera, a girl is sent to study dressed as a boy, and falls in love with another boy at the school...who also loves her, but he thinks she's male and is very confused, deciding that his views are simply intense friendship. When her marriage to an old, wealthy man is arranged, she reveals her gender to her "friend", they swear undying love and on the way to marry her betrothed, she jumps off a mountain and dies. Her lover follows her (hence the Romeo and Juliet comparison - they prefer death to not being together).

At the end, though, their souls reincarnate as butterflies and they fly off together.

Inappropriate? Well, with the doomed love, suicide and gender-bending, maybe, but it's a gorgeous song, it was played in a concert that we attended on one of our first dates and we were friends before deciding to date - like the couple before she revealed that she was female.  We travel a lot so the 'butterfly' thing worked.

So...this is all a roundabout way of saying "don't judge too much - that song may have meaning for the couple".

Corbin

« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »
I don't know the exact title of it, but for their first dance my cousin and her husband used a song by the White Stripes that had the refrain of "I can tell that we are gonna be friends"...it's about a little girl and a little boy who are walking to school together, playing at recess, sitting together in class etc. Not anything you would think of as being romantic at all, but it seemed to suit them. And she was marrying her best friend, after all!  ;)
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »
I think that song is by Jack Johnson. It's on the curious George soundtrack.

Jan74

« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2011, 07:42:23 PM »
Our wedding processional was "The Butterfly Lovers" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Qx9saG45I) - though as our processional it was arranged for solo flute by our friend, who also played it. 

It's concerto based on a Chinese opera that has been compared to Romeo and Juliet. In the opera, a girl is sent to study dressed as a boy, and falls in love with another boy at the school...who also loves her, but he thinks she's male and is very confused, deciding that his views are simply intense friendship. When her marriage to an old, wealthy man is arranged, she reveals her gender to her "friend", they swear undying love and on the way to marry her betrothed, she jumps off a mountain and dies. Her lover follows her (hence the Romeo and Juliet comparison - they prefer death to not being together).

At the end, though, their souls reincarnate as butterflies and they fly off together.

Inappropriate? Well, with the doomed love, suicide and gender-bending, maybe, but it's a gorgeous song, it was played in a concert that we attended on one of our first dates and we were friends before deciding to date - like the couple before she revealed that she was female.  We travel a lot so the 'butterfly' thing worked.

So...this is all a roundabout way of saying "don't judge too much - that song may have meaning for the couple".

I don't think a lot of people would know the whole story there though.

Jan74

« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2011, 07:43:53 PM »
I don't know the exact title of it, but for their first dance my cousin and her husband used a song by the White Stripes that had the refrain of "I can tell that we are gonna be friends"...it's about a little girl and a little boy who are walking to school together, playing at recess, sitting together in class etc. Not anything you would think of as being romantic at all, but it seemed to suit them. And she was marrying her best friend, after all!  ;)

White Stripes "I Think We're Gonna Be Friends" is def. an unusual pick. But as I said, nobody is actively dying or cheating or breaking up? Excellent already.

MissRose

« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »
I present a radio show, and if I am going with a theme, I am researching the lyrics and read them ahead of time.

I've listened to too many shows on local stations and syndicated shows like Delilah where people pick songs to dedicate, and its obvious they didn't read the lyrics ahead of time!

Shopaholic

« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
We walked down the aisle with a song that roughly translates to
"Get in the car already so we can go."

It's about a couple fighting as they are about to get into the car, at a time when he didn't have a driver's license and she had to drive him anywhere. Of course, it started raining and they're standing in the rain and he's pleading with her to get in the car.
Funnily enough, it's a romantic song when you think about it and it describes our relaitonship quite well.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »
I present a radio show, and if I am going with a theme, I am researching the lyrics and read them ahead of time.

I've listened to too many shows on local stations and syndicated shows like Delilah where people pick songs to dedicate, and its obvious they didn't read the lyrics ahead of time!

What always cracks me up is when Delilah says she'll pick out a song for someone and it ends up being hideously inappropriate.  Like, "I love my husband and think he's the best thing ever" yields "I Will Always Love You" or something even worse.

JadeAngel

« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2011, 11:50:16 PM »
My cousin and his wife danced their first dance to Elton John's 'I wanna kiss the Bride'

Well she looked a peach in the dress she made
When she was still her mama's little girl
And when she walked down the aisle everybody smiled
At her innocence and curls
And when the preacher said is there anyone here
Got a reason why they shouldn't wed
I should have stuck up my hand
I should have got up to stand
And this is what I should have said

I wanna kiss the bride yeah!
Long before she met him
She was mine, mine, mine
Don't say I do
Say bye, bye, bye
And let me kiss the bride yeah!

Underneath her veil I could see a tear
Trickling down her pretty face
And when she slipped on the ring I knew everything
Would never be the same again
But if the groom would have known he'd have had a fit
About his wife and the things we did
And what I planned to say
Yeah on her wedding day
Well I thought it but I kept it hid

Long before she met him
She was mine, mine, mine
Don't say I do
Say bye, bye, bye
And let me kiss the bride yeah!

Anyone want to take a punt on why they divorced a year later?