Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 88745 times)

Ms_Shell

Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2011, 03:08:02 AM »
I don't even have a BF yet, but I'm pretty sure I want "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica for the first dance. My mom will probably get upset, but I don't care. I'm having all classical music (albeit beautiful classical music) in my ceremony, I deserve to party!

You know, there's a string quartet called Apocalyptica that does classical covers of Metallica songs.  Maybe a compromise?  Their version of Nothing Else Matters is truly beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTozgoj9OQ
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #181 on: April 06, 2011, 11:13:44 AM »
I don't even have a BF yet, but I'm pretty sure I want "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica for the first dance. My mom will probably get upset, but I don't care. I'm having all classical music (albeit beautiful classical music) in my ceremony, I deserve to party!

You know, there's a string quartet called Apocalyptica that does classical covers of Metallica songs.  Maybe a compromise?  Their version of Nothing Else Matters is truly beautiful.

That...is awesome. I'd still want to put the lyrics on a piece of paper, though, so people know the sentiment behind the song.

The only other song I've ever considered having for a first dance is...interesting.

Dance Me to the End of Love by Noemi Liba

Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me through the panic 'til I'm gathered safely in
Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove
Dance me to the end of love.

Let me see your beauty when the witnesses are gone
Let me feel you moving like they do in Babylon
Show me slowly what I only know the limits of

Dance me to the end of love...

Dance me to the end of love

Dance me to the wedding now, dance me on and on
Dance me very tenderly, dance me very long
We're both of us beneath our love, we're both of us above

(Vocalizing)

Dance me to the children who are asking to be born
Dance me through the curtains that our kisses have outworn
Raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn
Dance!

(Vocalizing)

Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me through the panic till I'm gathered safely in
Touch me with your naked hand, touch me with your glove

It was originally a jazz piece, but the version I first heard (by Noemi Liba) had a definite Middle Eastern vibe with a string quartet giving the beat. You can listen to a 2 - minute sample here: http://www.noemiliba.com/index.php?s=6 It's a beautiful song about married love, just...probably more appropriate for the bedroom.  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

bduckie

« Reply #182 on: April 06, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »

That would definitely have been my choice had I done a first dance! The S&M version, of course :))

The S&M version is fantastic!
I don't know where everyone got the idea that life was meant to be fair, but they sure got a bad deal with that message. Once you know fairness is not required, is not compulsory, and in fact often has nothing to do with anything, you can get on with it.

JadeAngel

« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2011, 11:24:14 PM »

That is awesome, if I ever get married I am absolutely stealing that idea. I'm thinking it would work really well as a processional when you walk down the aisle as well, if you were allowed/able to play it in your venue.

Petticoats

« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »
I'm walking down the aisle to "It must be love" by Madness, our entrance song has been written for us (think Accidentally in love by Counting Crows kind of style), and our first dance is "little trip to heaven" by Tom Waits.
I really do want some Muppet music in our playlist, but alas, TTO has nixed that... :(

That's such a cool choice! That song is just charming--sweet without being soppy.

Jacklad

« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2011, 10:48:36 AM »
It was originally a jazz piece, but the version I first heard (by Noemi Liba) had a definite Middle Eastern vibe with a string quartet giving the beat. You can listen to a 2 - minute sample here: http://www.noemiliba.com/index.php?s=6 It's a beautiful song about married love, just...probably more appropriate for the bedroom.  :P

Actually, it's a Leonard Cohen song. Like many of his songs (Hallelujah come to mind), it has many layers and a definite sexual undertone, but it was originally inspired by the Holocaust.

You can read about his inspiration here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Me_to_the_End_of_Love

Snowy Owl

« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »

Actually, it's a Leonard Cohen song. Like many of his songs (Hallelujah come to mind), it has many layers and a definite sexual undertone, but it was originally inspired by the Holocaust.

You can read about his inspiration here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Me_to_the_End_of_Love

I love that song, but like many of Leonard Cohen's songs, it's much better in my view when someone else is singing it.  I like the Madelaine Peyroux version the best.  They often play that at tango socials and it's wonderful and inspiring to dance to. 
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Lauren

« Reply #187 on: April 17, 2011, 06:55:46 AM »
I went to a friend's wedding where the first dance was to this song called The Special Two. It's a stunning song.

The chorus makes sense for a wedding (we'll bleed together, we won't need others, we'll always be the special two) The first verse however makes it really very clear that this is about a wife who cheated on her husband (When you're young you have this image of your life: That you'll be scrupulous and one day even make a wife. And you make boundaries you'd never dream to cross, And if you happen to you wake completely lost.) It's not ambiguious in the slightest. I remember looking around the table and everyone had the same look on their face.

My DF and I are going with our first dance to 'I Can't Help Falling in Love' Lovely song and it makes me tear up every time.

bduckie

« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2011, 11:02:25 PM »
I went to a friend's wedding where the first dance was to this song called The Special Two. It's a stunning song.

The chorus makes sense for a wedding (we'll bleed together, we won't need others, we'll always be the special two) The first verse however makes it really very clear that this is about a wife who cheated on her husband (When you're young you have this image of your life: That you'll be scrupulous and one day even make a wife. And you make boundaries you'd never dream to cross, And if you happen to you wake completely lost.) It's not ambiguious in the slightest. I remember looking around the table and everyone had the same look on their face.

My DF and I are going with our first dance to 'I Can't Help Falling in Love' Lovely song and it makes me tear up every time.

What really funny is if you know the artist (Missy Higgins) is a lesbian, and if I remember correctly, she was raised in a conservative Catholic family, who had issues with her orientation. It put a whole new spin on "Boundaries you never dream to cross", and also "One day even make a wife".
I don't know where everyone got the idea that life was meant to be fair, but they sure got a bad deal with that message. Once you know fairness is not required, is not compulsory, and in fact often has nothing to do with anything, you can get on with it.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #189 on: May 03, 2011, 12:56:53 AM »
My sister told me that people have used "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel as a father daughter song.

I don't even know. I give up.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2011, 09:03:06 AM »
Poking around in the iTunes store, I saw that there was an instrumental version of "Be Still My Soul" on an album that touted itself as "wedding music."

http://www.lutheran-hymnal.com/lyrics/tlh651.htm

While it's a beautiful hymn, and one of my favorites, I think I'd be wondering a little about the state of the relationship if I heard it in a wedding ceremony...

I mean, you only have to get as far as the second line to hear: "Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain."

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »
OK, I'm only on page 9, and I know this discussion was years ago, but Angel by Sarah McLachlan is played at funerals because it's about escaping your pain and demons in this world and being comforted in the arms of an angel. It was written for Johnathan Melvoin, who, yes, OD'd on heroin in a hotel room. However, it's about finally finding peace.

Sorry, had to get that out.  :)
The status is not quo!

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2011, 09:51:23 AM »
OK, my contribution. I read that Tiffani-Amber Thiessen (you know, Kelly Kapowski!) walked down the aisle to Wicked Game by Chris Isaak. *headdesk* Sample lyrics:

No I don't wanna fall in love
(This world is only gonna break your heart)
With you

I love The Civil Wars' version of Dance Me to the End of Love.
The status is not quo!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »
Poking around in the iTunes store, I saw that there was an instrumental version of "Be Still My Soul" on an album that touted itself as "wedding music."

While it's a beautiful hymn, and one of my favorites, I think I'd be wondering a little about the state of the relationship if I heard it in a wedding ceremony...

I mean, you only have to get as far as the second line to hear: "Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain."

Well, that could make sense, in a ceremony that talks about "for better or for worse".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

stkatie00

« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »

Well, that could make sense, in a ceremony that talks about "for better or for worse".

Also, the melody is taken from "Finlandia," by Jean Sibelius, so while I don't think the hymn itself is in anyway inappropriate for a wedding, the tune itself is simply a lovely piece of classical music.

When DH and I got married, probably the only thing that could have raised eyebrows was the entrance of the wedding party to the reception-we went with the Barenaked Ladies "Who Needs Sleep?" mainly because by that point in the decision making process, I was just sick and tired of making decisions...And several of the members of the wedding party had been involved in the theater when we were all in high school, and lots of sleepless nights occurred!  DH and I entered to the fanfare from the Overture to the musical "The Scarlet Pimpernel."  It's one of our favorite musicals, and I thought it would be fun to have a fanfare! Otherwise, we danced our first dance to "Come Away with Me," by Nora Jones (it's in 3/4 time, so we were able to waltz to it!), the parent/child dance was "I Hope you Dance" by LeAnn Womack, and that was it for specialized music at the reception.  We weren't allowed to have secular music in the church for the ceremony, so no fun options there.